Okay, I know this is annoying but PLEASE give advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cappymo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The key is to find a school that will make you the most comfortable and provide the least amount of stress outside of school work. Cost wise, I would choose Upstate...especially since your are a NY resident. If you want prestige, then Georgetown would be the place to go. But from what I've heard, Georgetwon isn't what it's cracked up to be. It seems like it's very uptight and cut throat. Location wise: Although Georgetown is in DC, it's location in DC makes it difficult to manuever and have the access to what DC has to offer. Life would be easier if you had a car, but a car in DC may not be a good thing. Upstate is in the heart of Syracuse and is in close proximity to Syracuse University. It's not DC, but you would be able to enjoy activities in Syracuse. You do need a car there also. Overall, I would go with Upstate. I know people from both schools, and based on that I would got to Upstate. My brother inteviewed at Georgetown. Though he got accepted, he didn't accept the offer because he really didn't like the school mainly because the atmosphere seems to add more stress. I interviewed at Upstate and it seemed like a comfortable environment. There are people there who want to make your med school experience as comfortable as possible. Ultimately, it's your decision.... you should revisit both schools and really talk to the students. That would help you make the best decision. If you are looking into going into one of the competitive specialties, Georgetown would be the best school because the name alone will give you an advantage. My friend graduated from Georgetown with modest scores, but landed an orthopaedic surgery residency. I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

I don't really think of Georgetown as prestigious, am I incorrect? I actually would prefer Syracuse simply because of nice things other premeds were saying about it during my interviews.

Medikit said:
I don't really think of Georgetown as prestigious, am I incorrect? I actually would prefer Syracuse simply because of nice things other premeds were saying about it during my interviews.

Georgetown is prestigious EVERYWHERE besides these boards. Georgetown has name power, from the streets all the way to the desks of residency directors. Have y'all seen their match list this year....it's awesome.