Okay, if not first aid then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funny_Current

Why would anyone do drugs when they can mow a lawn
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that everyone says don't study first aid prior to starting medschool. Cool. BUT, if there was one thing you could have studied before hand just for a little leeway, what would it have been?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Before starting medical school, nothing I could have studied would have made a difference.

Seriously, enjoy your time off before school starts.

Reactions: 5 users
I am a workaholic. The idea of doing nothing for 3-4 months is terrifying!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really hate yourself you could try to memorize the action, origin and insertion of as many muscles as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
If you really hate yourself you could try to memorize the action, origin and insertion of as many muscles as possible.

any text in particular that was useful for you?

See if you can find a professor willing to let you work in their lab if you need something to do. Might not be able to get any form of a serious bench research project in but learning techniques in a new lab might be useful for later on down the road. Nothing you study now will stick with you.

Reactions: 1 user
See if you can find a professor willing to let you work in their lab if you need something to do. Might not be able to get any form of a serious bench research project in but learning techniques in a new lab might be useful for later on down the road. Nothing you study now will stick with you.

I didn't wanna give a novella, but I'm actually finishing my MS degree and defending my thesis in April. Should have at least two pubs. I am DONE with research...

The Emperor of All Maladies

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Paperback: 608 pages
Publisher: Scribner; Reprint edition (August 9, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1439170916
ISBN-13: 978-1439170915

Once you read Dr Mukherjee book, you'll be embarrassed you even mentioned using First Aid for the USMLE.

Reactions: 4 users
The Emperor of All Maladies

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Paperback: 608 pages
Publisher: Scribner; Reprint edition (August 9, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1439170916
ISBN-13: 978-1439170915

Once you read Dr Mukherjee book, you'll be embarrassed you even mentioned using First Aid for the USMLE.

Perhaps, but then again that means through this post I have done myself a service. Thank you!

There is plenty to do. It just doesn't have to be coursework. It isn't as if you aren't living your life. Prepare to move.

I see that everyone says don't study first aid prior to starting medschool. Cool. BUT, if there was one thing you could have studied before hand just for a little leeway, what would it have been?

These posts should be removed just for their obnoxiousness. At the very least someone should sticky something about this.

Nothing. Year 1/2 of Medicine is like learning a language. When you get to school you will have daily assessment at least from a social/lecture-everyday perspective. You will also be under the pressure of a schedule. Right now, formulating a schedule to study is just not worth it because you don't even know what's high yield yet. Go ahead but there are hundreds of better things to invest your time into.

-Meet some of your classmates.
-Workout
-Travel
-Meet a new professor and work in their lab. Schools will have lists of PDs willing to take students. Email a ton and some will be receptive. Ask a upperclassmen for the list.

There is plenty to do. It just doesn't have to be coursework. It isn't as if you aren't living your life. Prepare to move.

Again, without the novella, I already live where I'm starting. My MS degree is through the Med school I'm starting in August

These posts should be removed just for their obnoxiousness. At the very least someone should sticky something about this.

Nothing. Year 1/2 of Medicine is like learning a language. When you get to school you will have daily assessment at least from a social/lecture-everyday perspective. You will also be under the pressure of a schedule. Right now, formulating a schedule to study is just not worth it because you don't even know what's high yield yet. Go ahead but there are hundreds of better things to invest your time into.

Lol okay. I was just asking. Triggered?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the same thing, but then when I got here I realized that everyone was right and I was glad I didn't look over anything. I know that seems counter-intuitive. It seems that if there is so much work done that pre-studying isn't worth it, then doesn't that mean it would be less with pre-studying? I know it seems that way. It just isn't. It's so much at such a high level, a level that only gets brought out in you when you have that kind of material burden and the deadline of an actual med school exam. There are plenty of little mnemonics and things to memorize, but that stuff is so little of what you actually study that if it seems like you've learned a lot doing them, you probably saved yourself an hour or two in the several hours you spent. I know it doesn't seem true, but it really is.

You should make a list of every show/movie/book you've ever wanted to watch/read and get through them. This is the best thing you can do.

Lol okay. I was just asking. Triggered?

Yeah by everyone else who calls them self a work-a-holic and thinks they'll be the first one to do this successfully. If you're done with research more always helps.

If you're deadset, talk to M1 and see if they can send your the PDF(s) for your first course and buy the recommended textbook and supplement and maybe you'll start the year off strong. Trying to self-study a broad amount of material won't work.

Last edited:
I am a workaholic. The idea of doing nothing for 3-4 months is terrifying!

I am as well! That is why I went on a 2 week, 100 mile backpacking trip though the mountains before starting medical school. Books would have been too much weight to carry.

I suggest you just fill your schedule with activities you won't have time to do during medical school.

If you love reading, here are some books worth your time:

-"The No A$$hole Rule" by Robert Sutton
-"Being Mortal, "Checklist Manifesto," and "Complications" by Atul Gawande
-"Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery" by Richard Hollingham

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah by everyone else who calls them self a work-a-holic and thinks they'll be the first one to do this successfully. If you're done with research more always helps.

Okay now you are assuming. See, the problem I'm finding is that I thought maybe, just maybe, the rhetoric from pre allo to allo would change. And yet here again I find that there still are people incapable of being objective. Cool story, bro. Thanks for your time! If you are done coming at me, that'd be cool.

I am as well! That is why I went on a 2 week, 100 mile backpacking trip though the mountains before starting medical school. Books would have been too much weight to carry.

I suggest you just fill your schedule with activities you won't have time to do during medical school.

If you love reading, here are some books worth your time:

-"The No A$$hole Rule" by Robert Sutton
-"Being Mortal, "Checklist Manifesto," and "Complications" by Atul Gawande
-"Blood and Guts: A History of Surgery" by Richard Hollingham

Where did you hike, if you don't mind me asking? And also, I LOVE 'The No A$$hole Rule'

I will def check out the others though. I hiked roughly 1/3 of the Appalachian trail last year, maybe I'll do another third before August

Okay now you are assuming. See, the problem I'm finding is that I thought maybe, just maybe, the rhetoric from pre allo to allo would change. And yet here again I find that there still are people incapable of being objective. Cool story, bro. Thanks for your time! If you are done coming at me, that'd be cool.

If someone discovered a method, someone would have come back and posted it. I haven't seen anything like that on here so that's why I'm saying it doesn't help. Do you really think you were the first student to ask this question? At least do it better and get into some specifics and pitch us some of your ideas for what you think you need to pre-study. This post is stupid because you talk of being objective then make a sweeping generalization of Allo based of like 2-3 people's feedback.

Where did you hike, if you don't mind me asking? And also, I LOVE 'The No A$$hole Rule'

I will def check out the others though. I hiked roughly 1/3 of the Appalachian trail last year, maybe I'll do another third before August

I was an assistant scoutmaster and hiked a trail at Philmont in New Mexico, up to a max elevation of 12,441 ft.

Our scouts were all football guys so we went for the 100+ mile hike. It is an experience I will remember for the rest of my life.

If someone discovered a method, someone would have come back and posted it. I haven't seen anything like that on here so that's why I'm saying it doesn't help. Do you really think you were the first student to ask this question? At least do it better and get into some specifics and pitch us some of your ideas for what you think you need to pre-study. This post is stupid because you talk of being objective then make a sweeping generalization of Allo based of like 2-3 people's feedback.

It wasn't stupid till you chimed in with your bulls*it. Sweeping generalizations?? Hmm. I spared you the novella and was literally just asking if, in hind sight, there was anything you wish you would have studied beforehand. A simple no would suffice. Like I said, cool story bro. Now, are you done?

Read Robbins, Costanzo, and FA. Buy a subscription to Pathoma and Sketchy, then watch every video on double speed at least three times. Download Brosencephalons deck and work your way through it.

Do absolutely as much studying as you can now, because once school starts you won't have time for it.

Reactions: 5 users
I am a fellowship applicant now so I've gone through nearly all the hoops. Here are my 2 cents

You won't hear what we say "don't pre study", I was just like you and wouldnt listen to other people, so here's something that you can actually do.

The ONLY thing that you may remotely, remotely use for resume are legitimate research work, ideally with posters. Research work now is the ONLY thing that you can really use for future career wise.

If you must do actual reading, I highly recommend using this time to gain some "liberal art" aspect of medicine. Like random fun facts that will impress people at parties and on the wards.

Some of those fun readings include

1. Google procedure for heart transplant, whipple's procedure, etc, know what major surgeries are about

2. Look for random fun facts. Did you know some obese guy in the UK fasted for 382 days? Look up that paper and blow people's mind.

3. Read some anatomy book. Don't try to remember stuff, just browse and gain an appreciation for the artistry that is the human body.

4. Leisure readings, like "the man who mistook his wife for a hat", books about Ebolas, random medical factoid books.

5. Travel. Do **** that builds character. Go work on a farm. Go hike a trail. I picked up hiking and backpacking around thjs time. Nothing like sitting down after a 10 hour hike and doing some light reading basking in the sunset.

The goal is to cultivate a sense of respect and love for the subject of medicine. Before craming the insertion of muscles, before trying to remember factoids for step 1, before disimpactig people, before forced laughter at resident's **** jokes, before the 80 hours weeks, before using stupid baby noises as mnemonic to pass boards, before learning words like RVU or TAT.

Learn to love medicine.

Reactions: 15 users
I think the more important question is, what do you enjoy doing? What were things you wish you had time for when you were doing your masters? Did you want to acquire any new skills?

Realistically there is plenty of time in medical school to learn what you need to learn. Doesn't matter how much of a workaholic you are, everyone at some point needs a break. Just enjoy life.

I am a fellowship applicant now so I've gone through nearly all the hoops. Here are my 2 cents

You won't hear what we say "don't pre study", I was just like you and wouldnt listen to other people, so here's something that you can actually do.

The ONLY thing that you may remotely, remotely use for resume are legitimate research work, ideally with posters. Research work now is the ONLY thing that you can really use for future career wise.

If you must do actual reading, I highly recommend using this time to gain some "liberal art" aspect of medicine. Like random fun facts that will impress people at parties and on the wards.

Some of those fun readings include

1. Google procedure for heart transplant, whipple's procedure, etc, know what major surgeries are about

2. Look for random fun facts. Did you know some obese guy in the UK fasted for 382 days? Look up that paper and blow people's mind.

3. Read some anatomy book. Don't try to remember stuff, just browse and gain an appreciation for the artistry that is the human body.

4. Leisure readings, like "the man who mistook his wife for a hat", books about Ebolas, random medical factoid books.

5. Travel. Do **** that builds character. Go work on a farm. Go hike a trail. I picked up hiking and backpacking around thjs time. Nothing like sitting down after a 10 hour hike and doing some light reading basking in the sunset.

The goal is to cultivate a sense of respect and love for the subject of medicine. Before craming the insertion of muscles, before trying to remember factoids for step 1, before disimpactig people, before forced laughter at resident's **** jokes, before the 80 hours weeks, before using stupid baby noises as mnemonic to pass boards, before learning words like RVU or TAT.

Learn to love medicine.

Thank you. This is very humbling.

I think the more important question is, what do you enjoy doing? What were things you wish you had time for when you were doing your masters? Did you want to acquire any new skills?

Realistically there is plenty of time in medical school to learn what you need to learn. Doesn't matter how much of a workaholic you are, everyone at some point needs a break. Just enjoy life.

Honestly I've asked myself that a number of times. Just wanted to put myself on blast here to see other opinions or experiences

Honestly I've asked myself that a number of times. Just wanted to put myself on blast here to see other opinions or experiences

You know what's work? Work can be more than just medicine or professional related things. Work can be personal enrichment. I have cultivated some pretty unique talents during the gap year I took before med school. Those talents came up multiple time during interviews each step of the way. (i cannot say what is it without outting myself). One fellowship director asked an applicant to play the guitar at his office...

Think of making yourself a more rounded person as work too, work just as important everything else. I have plenty of stuff to talk about during interviews from the time I wisely put into myself by self development.

It wasn't stupid till you chimed in with your bulls*it. Sweeping generalizations?? Hmm. I spared you the novella and was literally just asking if, in hind sight, there was anything you wish you would have studied beforehand. A simple no would suffice. Like I said, cool story bro. Now, are you done?

That's kind of the point of why I chimed in. Because your post is stupid and deserves to be pointed out. Yes, you literally said Allo, when you could have targeted just me so you made a sweeping generalization in a sentence adjacent to one where you say you want some objectivity. Also, why do you keep saying novella? Doesn't that mean a work of fiction? I guess that would make sense in a way...Like I added earlier, try to get a copy of your school's PDF for your first class and work on it to get some momentum moving into the year. If you have specific ideas on what you'd like to do, pitch them. Maybe 1-2 of them is reasonable. For the most part if anyone has any pre-study advice, you're going to get differing answers because no gold standard that you're seeking (if not first aid then what?) has been established.

That's kind of the point of why I chimed in. Because your post is stupid and deserves to be pointed out. Yes, you literally said Allo, when you could have targeted just me so you made a sweeping generalization in a sentence adjacent to one where you say you want some objectivity. Also, why do you keep saying novella? Doesn't that mean a work of fiction? I guess that would make sense in a way...Like I added earlier, try to get a copy of your school's PDF for your first class and work on it to get some momentum moving into the year. If you have specific ideas on what you'd like to do, pitch them. Maybe 1-2 of them is reasonable. For the most part if anyone has any pre-study advice, you're going to get differing answers because no gold standard that you're seeking (if not first aid then what?) has been established.

Okay, bro. My post is stupid and you have shamed me for asking a question. You have done me a great service, and I truly that you for your time. Soooo sorry to have made you go out of your way to reciprocate to something you thought was worthy of condescension.

Okay, bro. My post is stupid and you have shamed me for asking a question. You have done me a great service, and I truly that you for your time. Soooo sorry to have made you go out of your way to reciprocate to something you thought was worthy of condescension.

Finally someone is being objective.

Oh boy, are you in for a rude awakening once you hit med school (especially clinical year) with that attitude...

Reactions: 3 users
Ever read Camus, or Kafka, what about Dostoevsky or angela mujukian?

try to get a copy of your school's PDF for your first class and work on it to get some momentum moving into the year.

I wouldn't do that until the last week or two at max. Definitely would not spend 3 months doing that.

Agree the best thing you can do before M1 is to enjoy your freedom. But since people kept asking this question over and over I made a five day challenge where I share some specifics on what you can do to prepare. www.sholamd.com/challenge to sign up. Starting April 10th. Talks about reading, finances, scheduling, study practices, and more. OP, I think you'd get a lot out of it.

"Basic Pathology" by Robbins. Make sure you read it cover to cover.

Okay, bro. My post is stupid and you have shamed me for asking a question.

Your question is very reasonable and one I asked before starting. It shows initiative

If medicine is your calling / vocation, you will always see yourself as an instrument of healing, a great place to be

OTOH you will come across many medical students as broken, immature and insecure as the next woman and msn, Blow them off. Follow your heart

You're about to matriculate and you don't even own netters? You're already getting behind the 8 ball
not true. we didnt order textbooks till we saw what they looked like at the medical school library and / or torrent files

Your question is very reasonable and one I asked before starting. It shows initiative

If medicine is your calling / vocation, you will always see yourself as an instrument of healing, a great place to be

OTOH you will come across many medical students as broken, immature and insecure as the next woman and msn, Blow them off. Follow your heart
Yes, but will this net him a derm spot?

not true. we didnt order textbooks till we saw what they looked like at the medical school library and / or torrent files

Yea, I'm sure that's what your "friends" told you. While you were peeling the plastic wrap off your netters, there's were having issues with glue binding from page turning and page warping from all the highlighting they'd been doing

Reactions: 2 users

You have no idea it was how pleasant it was to read this. Thank you. I'm almost 30 and so I take what's said by most here as a grain of salt.

This is the best thing you could do for yourself.

1. Learn all bones and bony structures (start with the limbs)

2. learn all muscles (same, start with the limbs)

3. Learn all muscles actions

4. learn origins and insertions

If you know muscle and bone anatomy, and the biomechanics, you will be off to a good start, and it will cut down your studying time for anatomy by a lot.

I did this before I started school (though, I already had a decent anatomy background) and I had the highest anatomy grade in our class, and I studied a lot less for anatomy that most my class mates which gave me time to focus on other classes.

Oh, and read "outliers" by malcom gladwell.

This is the best thing you could do for yourself.

1. Learn all bones and bony structures (start with the limbs)

2. learn all muscles (same, start with the limbs)

3. Learn all muscles actions

4. learn origins and insertions

If you know muscle and bone anatomy, and the biomechanics, you will be off to a good start, and it will cut down your studying time for anatomy by a lot.

I did this before I started school (though, I already had a decent anatomy background) and I had the highest anatomy grade in our class, and I studied a lot less for anatomy that most my class mates which gave me time to focus on other classes.

Oh, and read "outliers" by malcom gladwell.

Omg THANK YOU. These are the responses I was hoping to get. I will for sure try this out. Thanks again

Omg THANK YOU. These are the responses I was hoping to get. I will for sure try this out. Thanks again

That's incomplete, don't forget also to memorize the innervations and blood supplies. Also memorize common anatomical variants. Browse the UMich anatomy practical website to really hammer home core concepts with their self quizzes.

Reactions: 3 users