Okay I'm tired of living in uncertainty. I want some truth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frenchxtoastx87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a rising senior biochemistry major at Loyola University Chicago. Pertaining to this thread, I am a black male raised in the inner city. I've been doing undergrad research working in a chemistry research lab on campus since second semester sophomore year (4 semesters now) and I enjoy what I do. (Please excuse the poor sentence structure for this post). Just to get to know me a bit, I am a classically trained pianist/ violinist for 14 years and perform with my university very frequently. Many people I encounter say I am a very good teacher academic wise. I am pre-med, yet I am feeling quite unsure of continuing this journey because I feel incompetent.

Clinical:
Shadowed pediatrics, orthopedic doctors, cardiologist, gastroenterologist, neurologist, as well a s a radiologist. All of who I have developed great personal relationships with and continue to communicate with as well. (Accumulated MANY hours)

Volunteer at the busiest emergency department in SE Wisconsin for 120 hours in the past summer and will continue the same as well as a bed side program.

EC activities:
*Orchestra
*Play in a band (touring)
*Secretary of American Chemical Society chapter of Loyola University Chicago for 1.5 years. Representative for 0.5 years prior.
*Tutor for chemistry and calculus at Loyola University Chicago
*Member of the national American chemical society
*Free lance photographer
*Certified scuba diver and frequently dive.

Research:
Undergraduate chemistry research

GPA
Math and science= 3.34, however I got A's in organic chemistry II, general chemistry I, as well as three calculus courses. The majority of them are B+'s. One C in a math elective and one C+ in my very first general biology class, both freshman year in the fall. No other C's.

Non science GPA= 3.57

Overall= 3.345

Course work:
Science: General biology, chemistry, calculus courses, genetics, cell bio, organic chemistry courses, biochemistry courses, physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis, calculus based physics, bio stats, thermo dynamics.

Others pertaining to the new MCAT: General psychology, social psychology, sociology,

I would love to go to medical school some day. Not looking at any top schools, I solely just want to get in somewhere. It's a dream and I would be the first in my family. Many doctors I shadowed said they see it in me, as well as many highly respected colleagues, but I don't see it in myself.

I have yet to take the MCAT and it is the thing that is making me decide whether I want to go through with this or not. I am taking a gap year. I want to know if it is worth me going all the way with this. I just don't want to be working so hard and putting my heart and all in to this for 5+ years of my life just to have it be worth nothing in the end. Is there anyone out there who has gone through the same situation as i am going through who could provide some insight? In addition, I just want to know what my chances are.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I'll give a couple of points.

1. I was in a similar position to you in that I hadn't gone to college with the intent to be a doctor, but through life circumstances I realized my last year that it could be a possibility (but I was heavily torn on whether to take the plunge and do it). It still took 4 yrs before starting med school from that point. All I mean to say is that you don't have to do medicine in a rush - it is a huge commitment. A gap yr or two will give you time to really evaluate whether this path is for you. There is no shame if it isn't.

2. I would say that you can hold of on prepping for the MCAT until you know you want to do medicine. No point in taking the first step until you know you want to do this path. Get a job after graduation, work in the world a bit, continue shadowing/interacting with doctors, etc. Live life as an adult for a bit - the experience can be quite illuminating.

3. If you do decide to take the MCAT, make sure you set up a study plan and take enough time prepping to get a good score (may need to purchase a MSAR to get some ranges for programs to target)

4. I can't really go into what your chances are until you have an MCAT score - though being a URM with your GPA won't preclude you from getting into some MD programs barring a decent MCAT score (take a look at this).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar background. I'm a Latino male who also grew up in the inner-city. I had a similar undergrad GPA as yourself. Fortunately, I got accepted, but that came after applying to 40+ medical schools. My MCAT was pretty low (24), however, I had great experiences like yourself and wrote a great PS reflecting my motivation towards medicine. Sometimes we suffer from "imposter syndrome" because of our background or our "status" in society, thus we feel that we do not belong. I'm a first-year medical student and sometimes I still suffer from this kind of thinking.... the "I can't make it.... IDK if I should continue...Everyone is smarter than me, etc." Just understand that you are privileged to be in this position. Understand that society will benefit from YOU being a physician. You grew up in the inner-city and your neighbors/friends/family would kill to be in your position. Your GPA isn't the greatest, but that shouldn't reflect your quality as a student/future physician. You still have the MCAT to take, and it is very possible that you could end up with a great score. A great MCAT in addition to your experiences should land you acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
If you get a 27-30 on the MCAT you will get in somewhere. Im not familiar with the new grading, Im old, M2.