Okay, I've been in clinic for four months now......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MsPurtell

.....and I'm becoming more miserable each day. Can anyone inspire me? I'm feeling rather dead inside and dental school is not supposed to do that.

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

it took me a full semester to really feel like I was comfortable enough to enjoy clinic. what in particular makes you miserable? maybe we can help

I can understand, I used to dread clinic. Doing the procedures and talking to the patients was fun, until you factored in all the other nonsense like faculty gossiping and ignoring you, faculty evaluating you, earning enough points, having everything set up, getting graded, stupid paperwork and computer glitches, etc. All that brought the fun of clinic down.

What is it that is bothering you? If nothing else, you can always tell yourself that at least being in clinic is better than being holed up in a library memorizing some neuron pathway and taking an exam. That's what I would try to tell myself sometimes, although clinic brought its own set of stresses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, clinic is definitely better than pre-clin. I think what's getting to me is my own sense of "incompetence". I put that in quotes because it's probably more the way I feel than a reality. I guess I'm not comfortable with the whole learning phase we go through. I just want to feel good at something, or efficient, or like I can consistently make a good impression (enough that I'm trusted in clinic).

It's tough, too, not knowing all the ins and outs of all the paperwork and just how the system runs, in general. It's like learning a whole new job, which I'm usually lightening fast at, but this just seems like it will take forever. I think it's hard learning all the new personalities as well. Teachers are not the same as when you dealt with them in class. It takes so much time to figure everyone out.

I just need a sense of hope that I'll eventually get there.

Thanks for responding guys,
Margaret

Well, I am not in clinic yet, so I cannot help you directly with your problem, but when I first read your msg I thought you had a more serious issue in that I thought you came to the realization that you did not like dentistry. This would also not be so tragic, but it seems your current problem will be more easily solved. As you said, everything new takes some learning and getting used to and I am sure that you will get the hang of things soon enough. I would recommend asking your faculty for help; they are there afterall to help you and if they see a genuine interest on your part to learn, I am confident that they will take any extra time that is needed to explain things to you. Life is short and sweet, so don't get too worked up about these things. Set your mind on achieving what you want and the rest will flow. Good luck to you.

MsPurtell said:
Yes, clinic is definitely better than pre-clin. I think what's getting to me is my own sense of "incompetence". I put that in quotes because it's probably more the way I feel than a reality. I guess I'm not comfortable with the whole learning phase we go through. I just want to feel good at something, or efficient, or like I can consistently make a good impression (enough that I'm trusted in clinic).

It's tough, too, not knowing all the ins and outs of all the paperwork and just how the system runs, in general. It's like learning a whole new job, which I'm usually lightening fast at, but this just seems like it will take forever. I think it's hard learning all the new personalities as well. Teachers are not the same as when you dealt with them in class. It takes so much time to figure everyone out.

I just need a sense of hope that I'll eventually get there.

Thanks for responding guys,
Margaret

thanks utd2,

that was sweet, but your words are SO those of someone who hasn't reached clinic yet.

UTD2 said:
Well, I am not in clinic yet, so I cannot help you directly with your problem, but when I first read your msg I thought you had a more serious issue in that I thought you came to the realization that you did not like dentistry. This would also not be so tragic, but it seems your current problem will be more easily solved. As you said, everything new takes some learning and getting used to and I am sure that you will get the hang of things soon enough. I would recommend asking your faculty for help; they are there afterall to help you and if they see a genuine interest on your part to learn, I am confident that they will take any extra time that is needed to explain things to you. Life is short and sweet, so don't get too worked up about these things. Set your mind on achieving what you want and the rest will flow. Good luck to you.

UTD2 said:
I would recommend asking your faculty for help; they are there afterall to help you and if they see a genuine interest on your part to learn, I am confident that they will take any extra time that is needed to explain things to you. .

I would not recommend asking the faculty for help. I would say that the majority of instructors couldn't give a F#&K less about the student. Most of the instructors in dental school are social disasters who either went bankrupt in private practice, or are research dentists who are forced by the school to teach a few days a week in the clinic. There are a few instructors who I have ran into who I believe truly enjoy teaching students. Too bad there?s not more of them around.

Well, I acknowledge the fact that I am not experiencing what you are right now, but I still stick with my recommendations. It is true that many faculty do not care and that is evident from day 1 of dental school. The trick is to find those who do AND are good at teaching. I don't know what other option you have besides being miserable, which is not such a good option ;-)

MsPurtell said:
thanks utd2,

that was sweet, but your words are SO those of someone who hasn't reached clinic yet.

LOL......my other option is to be miserable?

Thx, but save your advice for when YOU get there, my friend. Until then, I'm PMing those who've been there.....and, no, that's not leaving me miserable.

UTD2 said:
Well, I acknowledge the fact that I am not experiencing what you are right now, but I still stick with my recommendations. It is true that many faculty do not care and that is evident from day 1 of dental school. The trick is to find those who do AND are good at teaching. I don't know what other option you have besides being miserable, which is not such a good option ;-)

Why the hostility? You are the one that said you were miserable. Anyway, I'm done. Good luck.

MsPurtell said:
.....and I'm becoming more miserable each day. Can anyone inspire me? I'm feeling rather dead inside and dental school is not supposed to do that.

Thx

MsPurtell said:
LOL......my other option is to be miserable?

Thx, but save your advice for when YOU get there, my friend. Until then, I'm PMing those who've been there.....and, no, that's not leaving me miserable.

wow... that was harsh. way to say thanks for just throwing out some ideas trying to help :rolleyes: