Okay not doing Ophtho research pre-clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchAdams25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been shadowing Ophtho a decent amount recently and have grown really fond of the field. I am currently in the summer between M1/M2. I would love to get more involved in the department; however, I received a grant through the Ortho department to do research over the summer and it is beginning to take up a lot of my time (need to keep some free time this summer unfortunately).

How big of a disadvantage is it that I am not doing Ophtho research this summer? My ortho research should be pretty productive and I have a couple of pubs in non-related fields already, but I probably wont have any Ophtho research in my pre-clinical years unfortunately.

Note: I am a average student at a Mid-tier mid west school

Members don't see this ad.

Strangely enough, I also was on the ortho track between 1st/2nd year of med school and did a small amount of ortho research as opposed to ophtho. When I ultimately applied for ophtho, I only had like 1 case study/presentation and an on-going glaucoma research project with no publications and I did just fine. Granted that was quite a while back, not sure how much more emphasis is being placed on research in recent years. Id assume if youre involved and making an effort that would certainly count for something, and it sounds like youve already done a good bit overall. Youve still got plenty of time to get some ophtho related stuff completed.