Okay so here is my situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theTiger128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a exercise science major at my university. I am now over 100 hours, so I guess im considered a senior. I decide that I want to do a DO/MD school after graduation. But the thing is I have not taken all of my prereqs yet. and alot of my prereqs are coming from CC. Here is where I stand so far:

Bio 1: A (CC)
Bio 2: D (Currently retaking during the summer at CC)
Anatomy: B (CC)
Physiology: A (CC)
Chem 1: C+ (Maybe retake...not sure)
Chem 2: C (Plan on retaking at CC after graduation)
Microbiology: A (CC)
Ochem1: Not yet
Ochem 2: Not yet
Physics 1:Not yet
Physics 2: Not yet
Calculus: Not yet (Maybe take at university)

My undergraduate GPA is currently at a 3.3 but I am taking Bio 1 and 2 and micro this summer at CC and so far I made an A in micro and bio1 and I am striving for an A in Bio 2. So I am hoping with will rise to a 3.5 after the summer.

Now here is the thing... I plan on taking both Ochem and Physics at CC. Would this be a good idea?Bad idea? You have no chance at all etc... Honest opinions and helpful comments would be nice :D. I made those C in chem at my university. I enjoy the CC classes because they are so much smaller (<20 per class usually) and they are cheaper.

If this matters, I have been volunteering at a local hospital In the ER for over a Year now. During the spring 2012 semester, I was a research assistant for one of my chem professor (Even though I made a C+ in his class XD) and I also plan to help him this fall as well. I have already made arrangements to do a internship at a community clinic for the working poor spring 2013.

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a exercise science major at my university. I am now over 100 hours, so I guess im considered a senior. I decide that I want to do a DO/MD school after graduation. But the thing is I have not taken all of my prereqs yet. and alot of my prereqs are coming from CC. Here is where I stand so far:

My undergraduate GPA is currently at a 3.3 but I am taking Bio 1 and 2 and micro this summer at CC and so far I made an A in micro and bio1 and I am striving for an A in Bio 2. So I am hoping with will rise to a 3.5 after the summer.

Now here is the thing... I plan on taking both Ochem and Physics at CC. Would this be a good idea?Bad idea? You have no chance at all etc... Honest opinions and helpful comments would be nice :D. I made those C in chem at my university. I enjoy the CC classes because they are so much smaller (<20 per class usually) and they are cheaper.

If this matters, I have been volunteering at a local hospital In the ER for over a Year now. During the spring 2012 semester, I was a research assistant for one of my chem professor (Even though I made a C+ in his class XD) and I also plan to help him this fall as well. I have already made arrangements to do a internship at a community clinic for the working poor spring 2013.

Thanks for reading

Most people seem to think it is okay for you to take them at a community college assuming that the lab is with it. I would try to take them at a university, but that's just me. Also, you're MCAT is going to be a big factor, so study like crazy for that.

Your volunteering is good, probably need some more as well as some shadowing hours. However, definitely focus on your grades and MCAT. Overall, your GPA will be fine for DO as long as you do well on your organic and physics.

Thanks DrMaximus

I have actually began lightly studying for the MCAT. I have read about other people in a similar situation that I am in and they also said that the mcat will be really, really important. I will try my best though!

Oh and I have also been looking at LMU-DCOM too :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people seem to think it is okay for you to take them at a community college assuming that the lab is with it. I would try to take them at a university, but that's just me. Also, you're MCAT is going to be a big factor, so study like crazy for that.

Your volunteering is good, probably need some more as well as some shadowing hours. However, definitely focus on your grades and MCAT. Overall, your GPA will be fine for DO as long as you do well on your organic and physics.

+1 on taking the courses at a university. Not sure how admissions will look upon the coursework from a CC. This is not a jab at CC courses, I am sure they are very good but just to be more competitive and safe, I would try at a university.

Good luck!

Thanks DrMaximus

I have actually began lightly studying for the MCAT. I have read about other people in a similar situation that I am in and they also said that the mcat will be really, really important. I will try my best though!

Oh and I have also been looking at LMU-DCOM too :D

I'm sure you'll do fine and I wish you luck! :thumbup:

DCOM is a really nice school, you should definitely keep in mind.

I am, a little biased, however. ;)

I agree with posters above. You should try to take them at a 4 year uni. I'm not sure how things are taught at that CC but if I were to take ochem at my CC, it wouldn't prepare me at all for the MCAT. Just a thought.

Good luck on M1 DrMaximus!

+1 on taking the courses at a university. Not sure how admissions will look upon the coursework from a CC. This is not a jab at CC courses, I am sure they are very good but just to be more competitive and safe, I would try at a university.

Good luck!

No you're right about CC. I have a 4.0 through 36 credits at CC and I know it's mainly useful for bumping up my GPA, not for impressing anybody or showing that I'm capable/intelligent.. That's what my MCAT score is for.

An awful first 2 years of UG and a good to really good last 2 years yielded me a 2.65sGPA at graduation. Over the past year I've taken (new classes and retakes combined) 36 CC credits and retaken the MCAT. I planned for my CC courses (while working full time, volunteering, researching, and shadowing) to show my persistence/commitment to education and my MCAT to show that I'm intelligent enough to make it through med school.

I agree with posters above. You should try to take them at a 4 year uni. I'm not sure how things are taught at that CC but if I were to take ochem at my CC, it wouldn't prepare me at all for the MCAT. Just a thought.

Thanks!! I'm sure I'm going to need it... :scared: Less than 5 days!

An awful first 2 years of UG and a good to really good last 2 years yielded me a 2.65sGPA at graduation. Over the past year I've taken (new classes and retakes combined) 36 CC credits and retaken the MCAT. I planned for my CC courses (while working full time, volunteering, researching, and shadowing) to show my persistence/commitment to education and my MCAT to show that I'm intelligent enough to make it through med school.

I had an awful freshman year that yielded me a similar GPA at the end of sophomore year. You've done a good job bringing it up this far and you will continue to. You just have to keep the goal in mind! :cool:

Have you considered a life of crime?

I would try to take the last half of your prereqs at your 4 year university, maybe as a potential informal post-bacc? I say this because taking all your prereqs at a CC is a bit of a redflag, not to mention your currently a student at a 4 year university, so it's going to just look like you're taking it at a CC to avoid taking it at a harder school.

Furthermore, you need to boost your performance in your prereqs. If you can't get at the minimal B's in these classes, then you really are going to probably struggle in medical school and on the mcat.

Eh, that's not really a problem. You're going to forget 90% of all the reactions you learn in organic chemistry 2 within 2 months of taking the course. The good thing is you can easily relearn or learn all the relevant reactions for orgo within 2 weeks of moderate study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered a life of crime?

Yes I have but I figured becoming a Doctor would be more noble. :(

Okay then... I wonder if anyone else is doing this. I dont like the classes at the university because they are too big and most of the professors are rarely in their offices.

I would try to take the last half of your prereqs at your 4 year university, maybe as a potential informal post-bacc? I say this because taking all your prereqs at a CC is a bit of a redflag, not to mention your currently a student at a 4 year university, so it's going to just look like you're taking it at a CC to avoid taking it at a harder school.

Furthermore, you need to boost your performance in your prereqs. If you can't get at the minimal B's in these classes, then you really are going to probably struggle in medical school and on the mcat.

What if I take all the prereqs at CC and then take a few upper division Chem/bio courses at the university? Would that help a bit? I am sure what DrMax said is also important too and that is to have a good mcat and Extra curricular.

What if I take all the prereqs at CC and then take a few upper division Chem/bio courses at the university? Would that help a bit? I am sure what DrMax said is also important too and that is to have a good mcat and Extra curricular.

It will help, but it is still not ideal.

I am guessing what I am really concerned about is would this route ,that I chose to take, automatically keep me from getting into medical school?

Also, thanks everyone for the replies so far :thumbup:

I am guessing what I am really concerned about is would this route ,that I chose to take, automatically keep me from getting into medical school?

It won't keep you out automatically, however you need to realize that medical school applications are a competitive deal, you want to do everything you can to make sure you can communicate to adcoms why you're better than the other premeds,

Thanks for reading

Honestly as long as you have a good reason for taking them at a CC, then don't sweat it. I'm not sure if DO schools accept it or not though. MD schools generally say whether or not they take community college prerequisites or not.

It won't keep you out automatically, however you need to realize that medical school applications are a competitive deal, you want to do everything you can to make sure you can communicate to adcoms why you're better than the other premeds,

+1. A solid MCAT score will help accomplish that. However, pre-reqs at CC + 26 MCAT = a disaster. Good GPA at a 4 year uni shows you're probably intelligent and/or hard working. Good MCAT score shows you're probably intelligent and/or hard working. If you do your pre-reqs at a CC and score low on the MCAT, you have done nothing to show that you are intelligent and/or hard working. If you're not intelligent and/or hard working, you'll fail medical school. If ADCOMs think you'll fail, they won't let you in.

+1. A solid MCAT score will help accomplish that. However, pre-reqs at CC + 26 MCAT = a disaster. Good GPA at a 4 year uni shows you're probably intelligent and/or hard working. Good MCAT score shows you're probably intelligent and/or hard working. If you do your pre-reqs at a CC and score low on the MCAT, you have done nothing to show that you are intelligent and/or hard working. If you're not intelligent and/or hard working, you'll fail medical school. If ADCOMs think you'll fail, they won't let you in.

Ok I got ya! thanks. Checked out your MDapps, hope you get into Nova!

Just gonna bump this thread to see if I can get more opinions :) Starting my physics class now at the CC(I hope I do well). Manage to get a 3.5 now with those biology classes i took over the summer. Anyone want to recommend some good MCAT prep for me?

Thanks for reading

Take the OCHEM and upper division biology at a four year school, do well and aim for at least a 27+ on your MCAT. Good luck