Okay to change PS here and there but not totally change it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Persistence101

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just changing/adding parts to my PS. Is this okay? Do I totally have to revamp my PS or can I just change bits and pieces of it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Change or add whatever you think will give more weight to your PS, man

Persistence101 said:
Is this okay? Do I totally have to revamp my PS or can I just change bits and pieces of it?

Are you satified with it? Does it represent your motivations for medicine? If not, change it! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied for '03 (and then got rejected) the admission peeps told me that my PS was good. I have since enrolled in a masters program and a bunch of other stuff, but there was a paragraph that I particularly liked from my old essay. So, I am going to keep it. Also, since they told me it was good the last time, I tried to write the one for '05 in a similar style.

G'luck to all '05 apps.

Persistence101 said:
I'm just changing/adding parts to my PS. Is this okay? Do I totally have to revamp my PS or can I just change bits and pieces of it? Thanks!

I know several people in the admissions office. It is looked down upon for re-applicants to keep the same essay or changing it slightly. The admissions people want to know what you did to improve your application.

I would tend to agree with Andrew....

A fresh application deserves a fresh PS.. You have changed over the last few years...so following suit...present yourself as such...

Its a pain...but bigger picture...this is for your career...and will benefit you int he end. Why leave anything to chance??

Andrew_Doan said:
I know several people in the admissions office. It is looked down upon for re-applicants to keep the same essay or changing it slightly. The admissions people want to know what you did to improve your application.

But what if it was only my numbers?

Yosh said:
I would tend to agree with Andrew....

A fresh application deserves a fresh PS.. You have changed over the last few years...so following suit...present yourself as such...

Its a pain...but bigger picture...this is for your career...and will benefit you int he end. Why leave anything to chance??

So what is being suggested is to rewrite the whole thing? But what if I already told my whole life story and inspirations for medicine in my original PS...how do I go about rewriting it so that it's still the story of my life?

Persistance, I'm in the same boat as you and wondering the same thing. My motivations/inspirations haven't really changed since my first round of apps, but my GPA has. I'll fit that in there, but I don't think I'll revamp it entirely. Anyone out there think that's a bad idea?

Persistence101 said:
So what is being suggested is to rewrite the whole thing? But what if I already told my whole life story and inspirations for medicine in my original PS...how do I go about rewriting it so that it's still the story of my life?

Sometimes improving on numbers is enough; however, often, there were other elements in your application that needed improvement.

You can contact the admissions office to inquire why you didn't get in. You should try to improve on the weaknesses discussed before reapplying.

I don't think "whole" thing needs to be completely re-written, but I would be sure to mention the "NEW" things you have been doing since you last applied...and change it around some...

It might be bad to send in the same exact PS...is all I was saying...

Play around with it...and most of all....speak with the Admissions people where you are lookign to get in....