Okay to do take extra post-bacc classes at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanthemyththelegend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am in a post-bacc at a well known program; however, it is quite expensive and I do not know if I will be able to take too many more classes here.... Is it okay to take some extra post-bac classes at a CC?

Members don't see this ad.

without knowing your background, why you are in a postbacc in the first place, etc, CC classes can be quite detrimental

I am in a post-bacc to raise my undergraduate science GPA. I have done 32 cr in a post-bacc program and have raised it about .1 (from 3.35 to 3.45). I was wondering since I have already done 32 credit hours at recognized program would it be okay to add some at a CC just to help with the cost aspect of it (maybe like 8 more Credit hours). The cost difference is about 6k.

That doesnt answer my question.

If you went to a 4 year school originally as premed or science major and didnt do well, then go into a rigorous postbacc, and do well, and then try to add some simpler CC classes, that may look like padding. Additionally many schools still recommend/indicate that CC classes are considered in evaluating a candidate.
(see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-at-community-college.1196975/#post-17693818 )

Having said that, I think that most premeds look at a single factor for a single absolute answer or metric, such as GPA and MCAT scores, and do not look at things in a nuanced way to make an informed and intelligent overall judgement including all factors. My point is that applicants focus almost entirely on a single GPA number; that is what is adcoms rarely do, focus on that single number. (see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pa-from-summer-classes.1196084/#post-17689797 ). For nontrads, trends and post bacc are vitally important and you must be compelling based on that

In a 2013 AAMC survey* with 127 medical admissions offices responding found that while uGPA (total science/math) and MCAT (total score) were top factors in the "highest importance ratings," immediately following them : 1) the upward or downward grade trend; 2) uGPA (cumulative total); 3) performance in a postbaccalaureate program (which likely includes SMP), and; 4) selectivity of undergraduate institution (for the private medical college only. Public college essentially have state residency replacing this factor. Of "medium importance" are on schedule to meet pre-medical coursework, uGPA (cumulative nonscience/math).

*https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf
see page 3 (pdf page 7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

Sorry to be a little bit vague. I went to a 4 year university as a science major and had a 3.35 sGPA with a good upward trend. My decision to do a post-bac was based on continuing to show an upward trend for another year to strengthen my application. I am completing a year of rigorous coursework and was wondering if taking a couple CC classes this summer (They would not be pre-reqs, hopefully upper level courses) after the fact would be looked on negatively. Again, this wouldn't necessarily be for the sake of padding, but just to continue taking classes at an affordable cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to be a little bit vague. I went to a 4 year university as a science major and had a 3.35 sGPA with a good upward trend. My decision to do a post-bac was based on continuing to show an upward trend for another year to strengthen my application. I am completing a year of rigorous coursework and was wondering if taking a couple CC classes this summer (They would not be pre-reqs, hopefully upper level courses) after the fact would be looked on negatively. Again, this wouldn't necessarily be for the sake of padding, but just to continue taking classes at an affordable cost.

I wouldn't do it. 32 post-bacc credits is enough to show you did a full course load. Keep in mind the point of SMPs and Post-bacc programs is to either show you're capable of performing well at the graduate level or to make up pre-req classes that you didn't take during undergrad (usually for people that change majors). Taking classes at a CC would not accomplish either of those criteria for most people. The purpose is NOT to significantly bring your GPA up and taking 8 extra credits anywhere to raise your GPA by an extra .02 or .03 is a waste of your time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have upward trend from original UG and then PB, I am not sure how much more a CC class would help.

Yeah I wanted to continue to take classes to stay fresh on my school work and continue doing well but I guess it may be a little overkill, thanks!

This really depends on if you're planning on applying to DO schools or MD schools. If you're applying to DO schools they do take grade replacements so if there is a class you did particularly poorly in like anything C and below you can re-take the class for grade replacement to boost your GPA. It doesn't matter whether you take that class at a CC or a 4 year college as long as the classes are equivalent. But for MD schools this wouldn't really help very much since they don't take grade replacements and they will see you retaking a course so it would be better to just strengthen your app in other areas rather than repeating a class at a community college.

I believe OP was talking about taking new CC classes, not repeated classes.