Okay to put this on resume???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with a PI this week and he accepted me as an (unpaid, obviously) research intern at his lab. I am in the process of filling out the volunteer/liability forms etc and I hope to start in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I will be sending my resume out to LOR writers for them to write a letter. Even though I haven't actually started the lab work, would it be okay to write "Current" for the position on my resume? Or should I only do it once I start on my first actual day in the lab? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I met with a PI this week and he accepted me as an (unpaid, obviously) research intern at his lab. I am in the process of filling out the volunteer/liability forms etc and I hope to start in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I will be sending my resume out to LOR writers for them to write a letter. Even though I haven't actually started the lab work, would it be okay to write "Current" for the position on my resume? Or should I only do it once I start on my first actual day in the lab? Thanks!

Why not wait a couple of weeks to send out your resume?

Why not wait a couple of weeks to send out your resume?

^^ If you say you are current now and the arrangement falls apart for some reason, it could leave you in an embarrassing spot. I would wait until you start officially, then you are safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ If you say you are current now and the arrangement falls apart for some reason, it could leave you in an embarrassing spot. I would wait until you start officially, then you are safe.

Especially if the LOR writer references it specifically and then it falls through and you can't put it on AMCAS.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Lol, the LORs are not for medical school and i doubt I will have to worry about having it be invalid for the AMCAS or etc but I think I will hold off on putting it on my resume for now. Ill just mention it in the email