Okay to submit LORs before secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ookluh

Don't Listen to Me
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing an expensive alternative - sending in the secondaries and then the LORs via express service to avoid delaying my application by a couple weeks (my school has a 15-day processing time on regular requests, but 3-day on express).

What I'm wondering is.. am I just wasting money? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that some schools want the secondary before you send in LORs, but I'm hoping I'm mistaken. It would save me a lot of money to send by basic service to all the schools that I haven't finished secondaries for. Can I assume that, unless the school specifically states otherwise, I can send in my LORs as soon as they've told me they received my Primary?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be ok to send in your LORs to the schools that don't specifically state not to send them in before a secondary is granted. The only school I can think of off the top of my head that advises against sending your LORs before a secondary is UCSD. I think that it's generally the screener schools who may advise against it.

I think it would be ok to send in your LORs to the schools that don't specifically state not to send them in before a secondary is granted. The only school I can think of off the top of my head that advises against sending your LORs before a secondary is UCSD. I think that it's generally the screener schools who may advise against it.
UCSF also doesn't want LORs before they request a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I will keep that in mind.. I'll probably just end up looking up every school, which can be time consuming but I guess also safer than potentially getting things lost/confused in the process. Thanks for the information!

I sent in my LORs before receiving secondaries. However, I only sent them to the schools which give their secondary to ALL applicants.