Okay to talk about giving injections in app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howTOLOE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if something like giving injections to patients is allowed in the U.S., but if I were to have done that in another country (on a mission trip to Peru for example), would it be okay to include that in the app? Or is it best to not mention things that I may not be allowed to do here?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if something like giving injections to patients is allowed in the U.S., but if I were to have done that in another country (on a mission trip to Peru for example), would it be okay to include that in the app? Or is it best to not mention things that I may not be allowed to do here?
Kind of depends what injections we are talking about. Non physicians can give injections in the US for certain things but you don't want to highlight being involved in anything not acceptable in the US, like injecting free silicone for cosmetic reasons, anabolic steroids, narcotics without a medical prescription, end of life lethal injections, etc. Giving someone a B12 shot, not as big a deal -- but also not important enough to put in an essay.

Reactions: 2 users
Teaching moment: The very first time I hear the term "medical tourism" referring to mission trips was out of the mouth of a pathologist colleague of mine.

I wouldn't even want to go in the first place on any medical trip that didn't require members to agree not to do anything that they wouldn't be allowed to do in their home country.

Reactions: 1 user
About the topic, I agree that there's a lot of bad in medical mission trips where participants often do more harm than good. But I think the value of such trips really depends on what the participants do abroad and what the participants get out of such experiences. As someone who went on one of those trips with a naive mindset and later learned more about poverty development and "voluntourism," I personally think it's worth to list these kinds of experiences, especially if they were learning experiences. I just think that it's a very complex, not black-and-white issue in the field of global health and medicine. It'd be greatly appreciated if you could give us further insights on this in terms of applications. Thank you in advance!

(I hope I'm not hijacking your post OP; if so, let me know)

While travelers may get a lot out of it, it is bad for the people they are supposedly there to serve and it is bad for their communities. Would we encourage travel to fragile ecosystems because the travelers learn so much about endangered species and can advocate on their behalf but at the same time the travel itself profoundly harms the ecosystem?? The end (learning about poverty) does not justify the means (exploiting the poor). /rant

There is plenty to read on the topic if you do a little Google search as suggested earlier and there have been long threads on the topic here, too.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a related question: While shadowing a surgeon and undergrad, I was allowed to assist in a thyroidectomy. I scrubbed in and held the retractors during the surgery. Given my lack of any medical training at the time, should I bring this up during interviews, or keep it to myself so that I don't get anyone in trouble?

You must be at least through your second fellowship before you begin to have the depth of medical knowledge required to give any sort of injection, even if it is saline. I bet you even took blood pressures over on your "medical tourism". Stop exploiting the poor!

Reactions: 1 user