Oklahoma is NOT one of the 5 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobBarker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the state statutes:
"Section 630. Education and training required
To practice as an osteopathic physician, the applicant shall be a graduate of a
school or college of osteopathic medicine which is accredited by the Bureau
of Professional Education of the American Osteopathic Association and
shall have completed at least one (1) year of rotating internship or the
equivalent thereof, in an accredited internship or residency program
acceptable to the Board
."

"(c) Postgraduate training. One year of postgraduate training is a requirement for licensure. This
experience must be in the form of a rotating internship or its equivalent, in an accredited internship or
residency program acceptable to the Board. To be deemed equivalent to a rotating internship and,
acceptable to the Board, a program must provide the following:

(1) The program must provide the following core experience:
(A) One (1) month - General Practice
(B) Two (2) months - General Internal Medicine
(C) One (1) month - General Surgery
(D) One (1) month - Obstetrics/Gynecology
(E) One (1) month - Pediatrics
(2) This core experience must be supplemented by three (3) months of Selectives and three (3)
months of Electives, accounting for a total of twelve (12) months. A Selective may be defined as any
core category or Emergency Medicine. An Elective may be any category of experience chosen by the
intern or resident.
(3) If an applicant has completed an ACGME accredited residency training program and become
specialty board eligible or attained specialty board certification
"

Essentially, if your PGY1 meets their requirements you are good (which I realize are essentially the same as a TRI), or if you complete a residency in any field you are good. How this equates to "requires an AOA approved internship" to practice I'll never know... No student from OSU-COM even considers having to have an AOA approved internship when applying to programs. It is a non-issue. You don't even have to use Resolution 42 to get your license. All of my classmates going to allopathic residencies in the state of OK, will get their licenses with no issue, and can moonlight to their hearts content after finishing PGY1.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel dumb...i have no idea what the significance of this is...

Members don't see this ad :)
People say there are 5 states that require an osteopathic internship to practice, including Oklahoma in that list. Oklahoma does not require an osteopathic internship to practice, but does require certain rotations during internship, which have not been a stubling block for licensure for DO residents in ACGME programs.

Just curious, will OSU prepare the student on interpreting the op information? Or is it up to the student to research the legal aspect? Essentially how much does the school prepare you on topics such as this?

The school doesn't give you much information on how to get into an acgme, but there are lots of others from osu that have gone into acgme programs that can help. However the clinical training from OSU is much better than most others that I have seen now that I have been out and about.

I know we don't have to technically do resolution 42 but most people I know that went out of state(me) for an acgme program have to change a couple months of intern year around to meet the requirements. It is usually not an issue.

I believe its only 4 states as of 2009 . WV was ending this requirement from what I heard (I did not see the document, just anecdotal)

Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Text_HTML/2008_SESSIONS/RS/BILLS/SB554 SUB1.htm

that's the bill that was made in 2008. as far as i know it passed but I can't find the exact date of passing. The key passage is as follows (the strike through it meaning it was in law and is to be taken out):

The board shall issue certificates of license to all applicants who shall successfully pass the said examination and shall present evidence showing that they have served an internship in a hospital approved by the AOA for intern training.