Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What equipment does the school give you besides the stethoscope? Out of curiosity.

BP cuff, eyes, ears, oral scope light thing(sorry its finals and don't know or care what they are called at this point), Stethoscope, ect. all that you will ever need.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
BP cuff, eyes, ears, oral scope light thing(sorry its finals and don't know or care what they are called at this point), Stethoscope, ect. all that you will ever need.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply and good luck with finals!

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations to everyone who got accepted recently!

Second of all, I would like to ask 2 quick questions - I am applying here this cycle.
1) For the individuals who had late interviews and just got off the wait-list, what month during your cycle did you submit your app?
2) Are interview blocks based off of the time your app is submitted or is it based off of your credentials (e.g. higher MCAT and GPA applicant receive earlier interview blocks)?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Second of all, I would like to ask 2 quick questions - I am applying here this cycle.
1) For the individuals who had late interviews and just got off the wait-list, what month during your cycle did you submit your app?
2) Are interview blocks based off of the time your app is submitted or is it based off of your credentials (e.g. higher MCAT and GPA applicant receive earlier interview blocks)?

Thank you.

I am a first year but can answer some of your questions: I applied in December (OOS), II in jan, Accepted in Feb. Also know of others who applied later with good stats that were interviewed despite the late app (still best to get it in early)

There doesn't seem to be any "block" in which they interview based on stats. If you have high stats and can identify with the school you will most likely get an interview. I also know of people who applied in june that weren't interviewed or were interviewed late. So basically get the app in early and hope for the best, if you are high stats it will most likely work in your favor, but you don't need high stats.

Hi there,

Thank you.

I'm finishing up my first year, but I submitted my application in October, but it did not actually get sent and I didn't realize that. So OSU officially only received my application in mid to late January. I received an II about two weeks later for the end of February and then my acceptance 2-3 weeks after that. I don't believe they do interview blocks. I think they just send out calls 2-3 weeks (sometimes earlier) before an interview and offer interviews to the 8-16 students that are on the top of their radar.

What comes in the diagnostic kit the school gives you? Is there a stethoscope in there? (Or do we even need one yet?)

To clarify on the dx kit:

We received Stethoscopes from the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association during Orientation Week.
Our kits were received near the end of first semester and contained: Welch Allyn sphygmomanometer with adult and pediatric sizes, otoscope and ophthalmoscope with coaxial and panoptic heads, an insufflator bulb, a practice eye tool, a pocket eye chart, and various tweezers and scissors.

I got a penlight and purchased a forehead thermometer to add to my kit and I'm planning on getting a reflex hammer as well. These are super easy things to get though, so I wouldn't do that until after you're given your kits just in case they add those in there for you! :)

Rejected today, dreams shattered, darn download.jpg

@OSUDocToBe @DNC127 Thank you for your response. So what I can gather is that there is no real algorithm that they use to determine interview order, or at least not one that the students know? Would I be correct to assume it is loosely based off of the time apps are submitted? I am just asking because it would seem strange to get a 2018 interview if I apply this june/july.

@OSUDocToBe @DNC127 Thank you for your response. So what I can gather is that there is no real algorithm that they use to determine interview order, or at least not one that the students know? Would I be correct to assume it is loosely based off of the time apps are submitted? I am just asking because it would seem strange to get a 2018 interview if I apply this june/july.

What do you mean a 2018 interview? Like you apply this summer and then don't get interviewed until spring?? Depends on you stats but that could happen.

To clarify on the dx kit:

We received Stethoscopes from the Oklahoma Osteopathic Association during Orientation Week.
Our kits were received near the end of first semester and contained: Welch Allyn sphygmomanometer with adult and pediatric sizes, otoscope and ophthalmoscope with coaxial and panoptic heads, an insufflator bulb, a practice eye tool, a pocket eye chart, and various tweezers and scissors.

I got a penlight and purchased a forehead thermometer to add to my kit and I'm planning on getting a reflex hammer as well. These are super easy things to get though, so I wouldn't do that until after you're given your kits just in case they add those in there for you! :)

Damn, we didn't get a diagnostic kit. That sounds pretty cool, but ultimately insignificant. I'm just now finishing up third year and all you really need is a stethoscope, reflex hammer, pen light, writing utensil, and a maxwells.

@DNC127 Yes. That is what I mean (applying this june/july and not getting an interview until spring 2018). I'm just going to call it quits on this question. I will just assume the time you interview is loosely based on the time of app submission and your credentials. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

@DNC127 Yes. That is what I mean (applying this june/july and not getting an interview until spring 2018). I'm just going to call it quits on this question. I will just assume the time you interview is loosely based on the time of app submission and your credentials. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

feel free to DM me if you have more specific questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, everyone! I have been around these forums for years just reading and what not, but I wanted to create an account since I see that many of you went to the admitted students day at OSU! I was there as well. It was really nice meeting you all. I only know for sure I met one person, Powerlifter, just because he was the only one who was a power lifter, lol. I am always looking for a lifting buddy! Nice to meet you all. I am in the dual degree program at OSU so I have been there for almost 2 whole semesters. I am from around the area and can't wait to get things rolling. If anyone has any questions, let me know! I am staying at Creekside Village near 51st and 129th street in Broken Arrow. I highly recommend those apartments if you're still looking. It is only a 15 minute drive to school. Also, good luck to all who are still waiting on an acceptance! They accept a lot of students in February-April.

What dual degree?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected today, dreams shattered, darn View attachment 218562
Sorry to hear, friend :( Are you accepted anywhere else? Don't worry about being rejected, medical school is pretty darn competitive. I myself was rejected last year before being accepted this year and I wouldn't have traded this last year for anything, I found some pretty darn useful activities to do, like clinic volunteering. Not every student is going to know how to draw blood or manually take blood pressure before their first med school class!

Sorry to hear, friend :( Are you accepted anywhere else? Don't worry about being rejected, medical school is pretty darn competitive. I myself was rejected last year before being accepted this year and I wouldn't have traded this last year for anything, I found some pretty darn useful activities to do, like clinic volunteering. Not every student is going to know how to draw blood or manually take blood pressure before their first med school class!
Hey man, this way my second time around applying, I have pretty much exhausted every possible avenue done masters, been working as a scribe, and clinical research manager, I have not been accepted anywhere I am still wait-listed at NYIT and ACOM, but honestly I have lost all hope. This is the second year that I get waitlisted and rejected and I do not have the resources to go at it a 3rd time

Hey man, this way my second time around applying, I have pretty much exhausted every possible avenue done masters, been working as a scribe, and clinical research manager, I have not been accepted anywhere I am still wait-listed at NYIT and ACOM, but honestly I have lost all hope. This is the second year that I get waitlisted and rejected and I do not have the resources to go at it a 3rd time

If you need help with a strategy for next year if you apply you can DM me if you want. I have advised a lot of people, and helped with my pre-med advisor in undergrad to council students on their application and such so if you want some feedback or anything just hit me up. Hope it works out for ya.

Do dual degree students get to come to the newly admitted student day? Do we go through orientation in August with the regular medical students?

Do dual degree students get to come to the newly admitted student day? Do we go through orientation in August with the regular medical students?
Something you should ask admissions as well.

I dont remember them doing so last year, @OSUDocToBe might know though!!

I want to do pathology so OMM isn't going to be the most high yield for me. It is, however, like ~20% of the COMLEX though...

way to blow your cover. Now everyone knows who you are ;)

Reactions: 2 users
For all of us coming to the second Admitted Students day, we should all just wear nametags of our SDN usernames and not our real names hahah:laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how to join the fb group?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was added by a mutual friend who was also accepted, and I think most are added by other accepted members. It's like an acceptance-chain-letter of sorts. If you're brave enough to DM me your facebook I can add you. You can trust me...I'm a future D.O. :laugh::highfive:

Does anyone know if OSU-COM gives slight preference to Texas residents? Are we purely just considered OOS or is there some sort of regional bias? Thank you!

Does anyone know if OSU-COM gives slight preference to Texas residents? Are we purely just considered OOS or is there some sort of regional bias? Thank you!

We have one or two Texas people in every class it seems. preference (or self selection/applicant quality) based on the proportion of OOS students in each class I would say Utah (have heard deans say they seek Utah students), and any state that touches Oklahoma.

Im applying to the OSU COM Bridge Program this summer. I'm an Oklahoma resident, a first generation college student, an under represented minority in medicine, and persevering in spite of a non correctable visual disability. I am currently taking 11 hours to up my GPA just a little but more. It would be around a 3.2. I'm also taking the MCAT in July, so the application will be submitted in late August. So far my practice tests are around a 495. I have over 120 hour of physician shadowing (hopefully getting around 80 more this summer) and around 600 hours of leadership experience (leading a fraternity) as well as being in the President's Leadership Class of my freshman year. I'm also working on my second bachelors degree, which should be completed by next May. This one will be in Biology. My first one was acquired in May of this year and it is in Health/Sports Science. Can anyone offer me a rough guess on my odd of getting accepted? I'm really starting to get anxious.

Im applying to the OSU COM Bridge Program this summer. I'm an Oklahoma resident, a first generation college student, an under represented minority in medicine, and persevering in spite of a non correctable visual disability. I am currently taking 11 hours to up my GPA just a little but more. It would be around a 3.2. I'm also taking the MCAT in July, so the application will be submitted in late August. So far my practice tests are around a 495. I have over 120 hour of physician shadowing (hopefully getting around 80 more this summer) and around 600 hours of leadership experience (leading a fraternity) as well as being in the President's Leadership Class of my freshman year. I'm also working on my second bachelors degree, which should be completed by next May. This one will be in Biology. My first one was acquired in May of this year and it is in Health/Sports Science. Can anyone offer me a rough guess on my odd of getting accepted? I'm really starting to get anxious.

Honestly I'm not sure they are super great, even as an OK resident and URM, although they are better than 0 because of those things so don't give up hope. Work on controlling the things you can control a ton this point, you need to really focus on getting the MCAT up. Hitting 505+ would help you out a lot with your GPA. What is your grade trend?

Honestly I'm not sure they are super great, even as an OK resident and URM, although they are better than 0 because of those things so don't give up hope. Work on controlling the things you can control a ton this point, you need to really focus on getting the MCAT up. Hitting 505+ would help you out a lot with your GPA. What is your grade trend?

My grade trend is very positive. It's honestly that low because i did poorly in concurrent classes as a high school senior. But i have retaken all of the classes since then and gotten either an A or B. I also failed Zoology two years ago because I didn't set up proper accommodations for my disability but i retook the class last spring with accommodations and got an A. I understand that my odds look bad for the traditional route, but are they still low for the bridge program as well?

Thanks for the help thus far.

My grade trend is very positive. It's honestly that low because i did poorly in concurrent classes as a high school senior. But i have retaken all of the classes since then and gotten either an A or B. I also failed Zoology two years ago because I didn't set up proper accommodations for my disability but i retook the class last spring with accommodations and got an A. I understand that my odds look bad for the traditional route, but are they still low for the bridge program as well?

Thanks for the help thus far.

I don't know about the bridge program, but if you have a positive grade trend like you say then your chances are better than at first glance. You do need to work hard to get that MCAT up. A 495 is low and will hurt your chances by a fair amount.

I'd say if you score above 500 on the MCAT you have a better than 50% chance of acceptance.

It's really hard to tell.. I've had friends with 4.0 & 506+ get rejected or non-interviews. I've also had friends with 515 and 3.3 GPA get acceptances.

I believe a lot of it has to do with your relation to the school (how well do you fit in with the current mission statement and do they see you as being an OSU student).

If you do want to talk numbers, a 495 and a 3.2 GPA is scraping the bottom of the required scores to just apply. So, you might get bypassed just based upon minimum requirements, so really work on getting that up!!

Also, I would have suggested not pursing a second degree. I'm not sure it gives you that much of an advantage. Instead I personally would have done a post-Bacc with very rigorous biological/chemistry heavy courses. Finally, I don't think bringing up issues that could potentially impeded your application (visual impartment) is ever a good idea. It just sounds like excuses (this outlook is coming from a former advisor of mine).

Best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
It got awful quiet in here!!!

Reactions: 1 users
How are you guys liking first year? Is the Tandy building pretty nice?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was accepted to the 2014-2015 cycle after being passed up in the 2012-2013 and the 2013-2014 cycle. Here's how things went for me:

2012-2013 cycle:
27 MCAT, 3.3-ish undergrad GPA, 8 hours physician shadowing
-given a late interview, felt interview went well, but received a rejection letter without being waitlisted.

2013-2014 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Enrolled in the graduate in biomedical sciences program at OSU-CHS
Graduate GPA 3.8
Worked as a certified nurse aid in a rural nursing home (requires 2 weeks course to get certificate)
-given a late interview, was incredibly nervous during interview and completely bombed it. I was not myself and was trying to give answers I thought they wanted to hear. I was waitlisted but not accepted. I met with the Lindsey Kirkpatrick in admissions to discuss my weakest area I needed to improve, and she told me straight up my interview was the only issue with my application.

2014-2015 cycle
Did not retake MCAT
Finished Master's degree program with 3.8 GPA
Had nurse aid experience (quit working this job in July of 2014)
My wife was accepted to OSU-COM the previous year, so OU was out of the picture for me. I still applied to OU and OU's School of Community Medicine so I could get interview practice. I also gave several oral presentations during my graduate program to make me more comfortable speaking under pressure.
As part of grad program, several students and I "invented' a class called 'Scientific Outreach'. The course goal was to teach graduate students how to develop outreach courses for underserved schools (develop program goals/projects, seek funding, working with admin, etc.). The biggest part of the course was the actual outreach project. We started an after school science club for kids at Eugene Field elementary (OSU-COM's adopted elementary school). I gave an presentation of the course and our project at OSU-CHS's Research Day and had the course director write me a supplemental letter of recommendation.
I shadowed an OSU Pediatrician for a total of 6 half-days over a 3-week period. His name is Dr. Jeremy Jones. He was an outstanding doc to shadow because he actually has 4th year medical students with him and you get to see what to expect as a student. The experience gave me great insights that helped me improve my personal statement and provided good talking points for my interview.
I was given a February interview and my interview was me just being myself and I think I was asked 2 questions by each interviewer, so 4 questions total. One was "why do you want to be an Osteopathic physician; one was "why do you want to attend OSU specifically; one was "teach me something", and one was "is there anything else you want to tell us".

I think the 2 biggest factors that got me accepted were my work with Eugene Field and submitting a strong letter of recommendation from an OSU physician.

You don't have to be a grad student developing an outreach course to work with Eugene Field. They have several programs anyone can volunteer for, Reading Partners is the first one that comes to mind. They also have a big brother/big sister mentor/mentee-like program you can volunteer for as well. Just contact the school or the Tulsa YMCA (they direct a lot of the volunteer activities). The experience is rewarding, but it will also give you volunteer time with OSU-COM's adopted school. You will also get a great letter of recommendation from the volunteer coordinator. You can also shadow any OSU physician. I would plan on trying to spend 20-30 hours spread out over a couple weeks with the same physician. Let them get to know you well enough to feel comfortable writing you a strong letter and make sure you specifically request a STRONG letter when you ask. I asked in my 'thank you note' I gave at the end of my shadowing and included a stamped envelope addressed to admissions.

This is already an epic long post, so any other questions please feel free to message me. Hopefully this advice is helpful!