Oklahoma State VS tOSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvmw2027

Reaction score
I am struggling to decide between Oklahoma State (my in state school) & Ohio State. Everyone says go With the cheaper option which I totally understand, however Oklahoma State is apparently struggling to keep faculty right now. I have also heard that they are at risk of losing their accreditation due to a low number of case loads coming into the teaching hospital. I am worried that even though I am saving money at Oklahoma State, I will still a large amount to attend a school that potentially does not have as many opportunities / resources / connections for their students. Also I don’t want to attend a school that’s not accredited. Ohio State is about 100,000 more for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I find it hard to believe a school would completely lose accreditation for low case load when there are schools that literally don't have a teaching hospital at all. If they can't support student learning at the hospital throughout the entire clinical year, I suspect they may adopt some distributive model characteristics/provide more externship time. Most schools are struggling to keep faculty right now. Where did you hear they might lose their accreditation? As of spring of last year they had full accreditation granted and I don't see that the AVMA COE has announced any other actions.

$100k is a significant amount of money, especially when you add in interest. I would recommend running some numbers through the VIN repayment simulator to see how that extra 100k (plus interest!) will impact your financial future.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I know it's been a bit since you posted this, but I had been wondering the same thing so I thought I would follow up.

FWIW, I toured the school recently and asked about this. They are having trouble keeping clinicians but this seems to be a nationwide issue (probably because you can make a lot more in private practice).
I suspect they may adopt some distributive model characteristics/provide more externship time
This is what they're doing for surgical rotations because they are losing a (and haven't been able to hire a replacement) surgeon for the hospital. Instead of doing this clinical rotation in the hospital, they are sending students out to other set outside facilities like in a distributive model. They are currently running a hiring search for other clinicians. They are aware this is an issue for their '24 reevaluation and are actively working on it--it seems to me.

They are also, starting in the fall, opening a clinical skills lab and changing the curriculum to emphasize clinical skills. So that may also address some concerns.

The caseload did fall during COVID/2020 but has picked back up this year (and last, I think). I came away not terribly worried about this factor.

Now, I know it was a tour and they're trying to sell you, but my sister is a college professor and went with me. So I felt like she knew what questions to ask about accreditation and hiring. I came away reassured.

Just thought I'd share. Good luck making your choice!

Reactions: 1 user
So, I know it's been a bit since you posted this, but I had been wondering the same thing so I thought I would follow up.

FWIW, I toured the school recently and asked about this. They are having trouble keeping clinicians but this seems to be a nationwide issue (probably because you can make a lot more in private practice).

This is what they're doing for surgical rotations because they are losing a (and haven't been able to hire a replacement) surgeon for the hospital. Instead of doing this clinical rotation in the hospital, they are sending students out to other set outside facilities like in a distributive model. They are currently running a hiring search for other clinicians. They are aware this is an issue for their '24 reevaluation and are actively working on it--it seems to me.

They are also, starting in the fall, opening a clinical skills lab and changing the curriculum to emphasize clinical skills. So that may also address some concerns.

The caseload did fall during COVID/2020 but has picked back up this year (and last, I think). I came away not terribly worried about this factor.

Now, I know it was a tour and they're trying to sell you, but my sister is a college professor and went with me. So I felt like she knew what questions to ask about accreditation and hiring. I came away reassured.

Just thought I'd share. Good luck making your choice!
I needed to hear this!! Thank you so so much for sharing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.