Old EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EverythingBagel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what does it mean to you
why do you want to talk about it
why is it important to you

Members don't see this ad :)
So back to my original question...Yay, Nay?

I'd add it and have it in PS, actually.

Also, when you write in your AMCAS EC sections, you talk about what it meant to you/what you learned, not just what you did, correct? It should be written as something mroe than just an extended CV, correct?

Within character counts.

This sounds big. And technically, since it replaces half of senior year, it's a grey area. Go for it.

This is pretty simple: start date, end date,... both are close enough to the start of college that they are unlikely to raise eyebrows among those who don't believe that HS stuff should be among one's experineces (actually there is no AMCAS rule against it and eveyone who lists Eagle Scout is doing it).

I prefer factual statements of what one did, responsibilities, etc over platitudes about the courage of cancer patients and the helpless feeling of being unqualified to do anything medical for them.

I was giving advice here on writing an entry for the experience section. The Personal Statement is a different kettle of fish.

The experience section has a series of fields to be completed as well as a free text section that was quite brief (about 4 lines, I don't know how many characters) until about 2 cycles ago (June 2008?). Adcoms don't generally know about space limitations, we just see the printed (or electronic) application in its finished form. There were many gripes by adcoms in my group that first year because some applicants seemed "too wordy". It just seemed like a big change, and not always for the better. Writing too much and adding a lot of fuzzy feelings like the warm glow you felt after playing checkers with a small child who was dying of some rare disease and how helpless you felt that you could not do more does not add more to your application than just saying that you assisted children in the playroom and in their hospital rooms and provided a few minutes of respite to parents in describing a volunteer gig in the hospital's pediatric unit.
s

This begs another question, I think, that underlies alot of tensions in writing the ECs and PS...We hear over and over again "show don't tell," which is great advice and makes for much more compelling writing...yet in every example of a "successful" essay that I have read, in books and on websites, it seems that none of them allow the reader to come to their own conclusions about the writer!