old form of scopalamine and morphine for deliveries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question of curiosity. i was reading that in earlier decades, they have "twlight sleep" anesthesia to laboring women in the form of the above two drugs, and that while these women may have experienced pain, they did not remember the labor experience.

so my question is this: how on earth could they push with the contractions if they were not exactly aware during the process? how did these babies come out in a reasonable amount of time...even with pushing, some primagravidas have to push for hours...how on earth did they manage to deliver without coordinated pushing?

Members don't see this ad.

forceps.

applicant2002 said:
i have a question of curiosity. i was reading that in earlier decades, they have "twlight sleep" anesthesia to laboring women in the form of the above two drugs, and that while these women may have experienced pain, they did not remember the labor experience.

so my question is this: how on earth could they push with the contractions if they were not exactly aware during the process? how did these babies come out in a reasonable amount of time...even with pushing, some primagravidas have to push for hours...how on earth did they manage to deliver without coordinated pushing?

They also don't remember much of the next week - all that great bonding time missed.

Members don't see this ad :)
applicant2002 said:

Also, your body does its own thing. Ever hear of "laboring down" with an epidural? Baby will come down without all that pushing. Of course those without epidurals will generally have that uncontrollable urge. Time limits are just that, limits imposed by people, not a real function of labor.

As said before, the body will bear down, whether you remember it or not. These pts were not unconscious, just put into a state where they were out of touch and then became amnesiac. Also, the use of Scop, morph and Twilight was the HeyDay of the Forceps birth, as well as "blue baby" syndrome. Often these poor women were restrained, as they would try to run or flee, often even forgetting they were in labor, while still feeling the pain. It's amazing as many of us born in those bad old days survived as did. (One reason dads weren't allowed in Delivery.) Scop dries you out as well, and isn't great for Lactogenisis, either. Blech. HeyDay of Infant Formula as well.

What horrible days. :scared: