Old GPA ruining new one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a non-trad who graduated from a small liberal arts school w/ a BA in Classical Languages a 3.4 GPA before deciding I wanted to go to medical school; I have about half my prereqs left but should be able to apply in 2013. I have a fairly strong science background (just don't have the coursework done yet) and am not very worried about the MCAT. However, I was projecting my GPA and realized that my 3.4 over 195 hours from my previous school will destroy my cGPA:

If I get a 4.0 (I have a 3.94 at my new school and expect maintain this; state school is much easier) in ALL of my remaining courses, my cGPA = 3.64. Not competitive at all.

However, I know med schools look positively on improvement: if I ignore my awful first year at my former school and the few college classes I took in HS, my cGPA improves to a 3.79; also, assuming I get at least an A- in Orgo, my science GPA (4.0 across a year of A&P, the chem I've taken so far, bio, and an upper-level microbio course so far) will probably (hopefully) be above a 3.9.

Will medical schools take all of this into account, or are they just going to see that 3.64 and stamp "rejected" on my app? The problem is that I can't easily raise my GPA; by the time I apply I'll have over 360 credit hours (in quarters) and thus a full-time year of all As will raise it only to a 3.68...should I just nail the MCAT, preemptively apply to post-bacc masters programs, and pray?

Thanks for any insight

Members don't see this ad.

If you are only intending to apply to top-tier schools, then yeah, your GPA of 3.64 may be low. However, if I remember correctly the average matriculant cGPA is something like 3.68, and the average sGPA is 3.61, which you will be well above. In other words, I woudn't worry about not be competitive due to low grades. Get the A's in the remaining courses and knock the MCAT out of the park, and you should be fine (assuming all other ECs are in order). Just my two cents, maybe someone else who is more familar with admissions could give you better advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think med schools fully understand that you were once in school, changed your career path, and have now worked very hard to reach that goal. It seems to me that you have done very well so far, and assuming all of your other EC's and clinical experience etc. are in order, you'll be just fine. Just crush that MCAT!

If I get a 4.0 (I have a 3.94 at my new school and expect maintain this; state school is much easier) in ALL of my remaining courses, my cGPA = 3.64. Not competitive at all.
This statement is simply ridiculous. Most schools have a median of 3.6.

You are missing two important things:
1. A 3.64 cGPA is considered competitive at all but the most highly ranked schools.
2. A strong upward trend can compensate nicely for a lower overall GPA.

This statement is simply ridiculous. Most schools have a median of 3.6.

So everyone seems to agree that a 3.6 isn't as bleak as I thought. Thanks for the responses; I know people who did not get in with similar grades, but it seems GPA is all people really talk about when they don't get in. I'll assume their apps had other weaknesses.