old IMG- please advice regarding my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

questionqu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advice on my chances to be accepted to a good IM program

I will be 43 yo when starting the residency

Graduated 11 years ago

I am board certified in IM in my country of origin and will apply for IM in the US

USMLE Score: Step 1 220 (91), Step 2 CK 237 (96)

13 manuscript as first author in good journals

3 years US experience at Johns Hopkins with good LOR (fellowship on J1 and then had to go back for two years to my country of origin)

What are my chances of being accepted to a good academic program in IM

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

They'd be better if your English improved. By the way you write I can tell you are an IMG whose first language is not English. If you're gonna live in an English speaking and writing country, learn it. It doesn't matter how old you are or what your excuses are.

This response is not only unduly harsh, but also inaccurate. As a former freshman comp instructor at an Ivy, I can attest to the fact that plenty of native-born pre-meds made mistakes like "advice" for "advise" (as well as having suboptimal syntax at times). The OP has plenty of accomplishments and deserved a civil answer.

This response is not only unduly harsh, but also inaccurate. As a former freshman comp instructor at an Ivy, I can attest to the fact that plenty of native-born pre-meds made mistakes like "advice" for "advise" (as well as having suboptimal syntax at times). The OP has plenty of accomplishments and deserved a civil answer.

My advice was civil, and your criticism, though welcome, is unwarranted. The advice/advise thing is fine and could be a typo. It's the syntax and lack of using punctuation that I have a problem with.

You can dress it up how you want, but the fact of the matter is that communication skills are vital in medicine. The better your english, the better the residency you can obtain.

Last edited:
My advice was civil, and your criticism, though welcome, is unwarranted. The advice/advise thing is fine and could be a typo. It's the syntax and lack of using punctuation that I have a problem with.

You can dress it up how you want, but the fact of the matter is that communication skills are vital in medicine. The better your english, the better the residency you can attain.

Well, since you brought up syntax, you might find this to be useful:

http://www.grammarist.com/usage-errors/word-confusion/attain-vs-obtain/

My advice was civil, and your criticism, though welcome, is unwarranted. The advice/advise thing is fine and could be a typo. It's the syntax and lack of using punctuation that I have a problem with

It seems the OP presented his accomplishments in an outline format.
Might this explain the absence of punctuation?

Disclaimer: Non Native English speaker

To address the original post(only because I am already commenting and not because I have significant experience with the Match): I empathize with your need to ask the "what are my chances question" but in reality no one can give you exact anwers. You do have significant US experience and are applying in a specialty with tons of positions, so my guess is that you probably have a chance. Not aware that age has any specific role to play but perhaps year of graduation is more important, as many programs now have a cut-off for that.

Good luck.

chances are pretty good because of usmle scores, but the old grad date may be a setback; however it is possible to get residency. you may want to try backups like psych or fp just in case you don't get IM. I have seen 99ers not get IM and end up in psych. it is all luck of the draw. try and you shall find out your true chances.:luck: