Old Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katniss09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes. Old letters are fine as long as they are in your school's profile. 5 of my letters were collected within 2-3 years before I applied. But I did get a new one from my employer a few months before I applied.

I was originally going to apply during the 2012 application cycle and prepared my letters of recommendation accordingly but plans changed and I instead applied during the 2013 cycle. I did add two letters but included the "old" letters from 2012 as well. I had absolutely no issue whatsoever with my application materials this past cycle.
You'll be fine as long as you add a more recent letter (as you intend to), more to show you've been recently active in a productive activity, not because your older letters are worth any less. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take my reply with a grain of salt because I haven't applied yet but my school's pre-health advisor said 1-2 year old letters are fine. I asked one of my professors to write one a year early and she said I shouldn't submit a year old letter so she will write it for me next year.

Everything I've heard has said that old ones are fine.

Some qualify that statement by saying that at least one should have been written within the past year.