Old Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been out of college since 2016 and am trying to collect some letters of recommendation. I just need one more writer and he had informed me of something I have never heard of before - that a letter must be within 3 years old of the experience. Here is what he told me:

Sorry for the late reply. I am also sorry to let you know that AMCAS doesn't consider a letter of recommendation based on experiences which are more than 3-years old. Consequently, a letter of mine wouldn't work as we only interacted in the classroom and it was more than 6 years ago. However, try to contact AMCAS and ask them about it: I would be inclined to change my decision if they tell you they'd be willing to make an exception in these difficult covid-19-associated times.
Have a good day and best of luck with your applications,

I have looked this up for the last 30 minutes and I cannot find a single thing that even addresses how old the letters can be. Please help me out, what should I say back? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Are you using interfolio? It's indispensable for non trads. I was accepted with letters that were a couple of years old. You can get the letter writer to send in the letter, then the service stores it and you can send it as many times as you want. There are a few programs who don't accept interfolio but the large majority do. It's $50 a year to send letters but you don't have to pay every year if you're not sending the letters, meaning you only need to pay the year you apply.

Are you using interfolio? It's indispensable for non trads. I was accepted with letters that were a couple of years old. You can get the letter writer to send in the letter, then the service stores it and you can send it as many times as you want. There are a few programs who don't accept interfolio but the large majority do. It's $50 a year to send letters but you don't have to pay every year if you're not sending the letters, meaning you only need to pay the year you apply.

what programs don’t allow interfolio? All my letters r through that

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made an interfolio account and I was going to have my letter writers send it there. I just have a bad feeling about my chances this cycle, so I want to make it easier for me next time.

I have a letter that was written this June but was based on an experience (grad school) that ended in 2015. AMCAS and all my schools accepted it and marked me complete, so I don't think what your professor said is accurate. My letter was from my dissertation advisor who also was second author on a paper I published, so it was significant and that's why I still included him.

Even if AMCAS accepts the letter (which I think they will, especially if it's dated 2020), I don't necessarily think you should move forward with this letter writer. Generally, you want a letter writer to be an enthusiastic yes when you ask if they'll write one. If he's looking to get out of writing it, it might not be the strongest letter and probably won't help your application much. Also, I've heard letters from more recent experiences tend to carry more weight as they can speak to who you are now (not then).
I am so desperate for letter writers. It has been 4 years since I graduated so I doubt I would get very few enthusiastic yes's :( I was thinking of offering a draft letter to make it easier for him