old MCAT in January or 2015 MCAT in summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinneh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a junior who transferred late into pre-med. Already planning on 1 gap year. I'm hearing different things about whether to avoid the 2015 MCAT if possible. But with so many people saying that MCAT review requires full-time studying for 3+ months, I'm wondering if I should not only take the new MCAT but put the test off and apply in the following cycle (2 gap years :/)

I know this is far in advance, but unfortunately I basically need to determine my MCAT plan now as it affects how I approach the rest of my scheduling for junior/senior year.
Considering some different options for the MCAT:

January 2015 (still old MCAT): study for the MCAT during fall semester (only taking 3 classes- physics 1 and two nonscience) and full-time 1 month winter break, but without taking Physics II. 1 gap year.

June 2015: study for new 2015 MCAT during spring semester (only taking 3 classes- physics 2 and two nonscience), and full-time 1 month after graduation. 1 gap year.

Aug 2015 or later: study full-time for MCAT after graduation, but likely requires an additional year off due to late MCAT if I want to get into the best possible school for my scores (right?)

Thanks. I know in the end its my decision, but I'd like to hear what you guys would do in my position!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation as you except that I am a sophomore taking it either this summer with plenty of time to prep over the summer and take a Kaplan course in the evening OR take the Jan 2015 and get more science classes under my belt but it being an easy load with Kaplan courses at night and only my winter break to study. I am very perplexed but I would am doing all of this so that i can take the old MCAT! There's so many more tried and true practice materials to work off of!

I'm glad to see that you guys are recommending the old test. Just want to confirm that you guys still recommend taking the old MCAT, even if I haven't taken physics 2? I did get a 4 on AP Physics B, but it's been about 4 years since I looked at the material.