Old MCAT or New MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradWarrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I am pseudo-non-traditional pre-med -- I graduated with a BA in 2013, and hope to matriculate in an MD/MPH program in 2016. I am taking my last two pre-reqs now, in addition to working full time and studying for the MCAT. My plan is to take the test in January. It's a lot, but I am making it work.

However, it seems that the January sittings are quite full, leaving Guam as my only option. Would it be wiser to wait and take the new test?

My issues with taking the new test are the Biochem and Sociology courses that I would have to take to prepare. I would have to take those next spring, in addition to the two labs I'll already be taking, and another MCAT prep course... And, of course, there's still my job. This doesn't seem doable to me, especially since none of the universities around me offer Biochem as a night class or a distance class (which is how I've accomplished my other pre-reqs).

I REALLY want to take the old MCAT, and I REALLY don't want to delay my application cycle another year. However, I also REALLY don't want to be underprepared for my test. (And I'm not crazy about taking it in Guam.) Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Really? Every spot in the continental US, HI and AK is taken for January?!? I know there's been a rush, but really? All of them?
I mean, if you've got the finances to fly to Guam for this, then a post-MCAT beach party sounds awesome. But taking the test jetlagged would be a b!tch.
Seems a bit extreme to me, but I don't have that kind of spare dough.

Also, you're a baby non-trad :p, under 25 it sounds like. You have lotsa time to study for the new bits and take the 2015 version. If that means you matriculate a year later, so what? I'm 29 and applying for the first time. Lots of people here are older than me and applying or just starting med school. Really, another year isn't a problem.

But if you're set on Guam- then enjoy the vacation ;)

Going to Guam to take the MCAT is absolutely ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a spot in Vestal, NY! Not where I live... but in the same time zone, and most importantly, not in Guam!

Thanks for calming me down during my freak-out :)

Reactions: 1 user