Old MCAT retakers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikes

in the deep blue sea
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked already, but it would be nice to get some fresh perspectives. For those of you that took the old MCAT and are now faced with retaking the new (I walked away with an 11/6/10 so find myself in this situation), how much did you study/plan on studying for the new version? Did you simply focus on the new material and brush up on the old material? If you have already taken, did you find yourself prepared after focusing on your area of weakness or did you find the test completely different and leaving you with the feeling you should have studied more?

Thanks for the replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I will tell you what I do:

Gen Chem: I relearn everything and learn some of the tricks I knew previously. Look at the equations every few days to see if I remember them to the dot. Although at times, I get lazy and say "oh I know that topic" and then when I do practice I fall for questions that are focused on nit-picky details. PS was by far my strongest section on the old test, I voided my old MCAT test but I do remember seeing a big 2-3 point jump about 3 weeks before my exam by reading the equations over and over on a daily basis. Memorizing them and knowing all the units.

Physics: Similar to general chemistry. I'm trying to understand certain topics that I really struggle with which are certain areas in physics 2 material. This used to be a hit or miss on the old test. I remember getting one or two wrong out of the 20-30 or so physics questions on one of the old AAMCs. On the old test, if the PS section worked in my favor I usually scored 2 points above my average. Right now I'm focusing on mostly my weak topics and all the relationships/nit picky details as well.

Biology: I remember after AAMC 3, my bio score was consistently at a lower score. I focusing more on reading passages more carefully and on discretes I make sure I completely understand every choice before putting down my answer.

Biochemistry: Right now I'm sporadic, sometimes I do great in it and sometimes I do poor. It needs more content review and practice.

Organic Chemistry: It feels like a lot less on the new MCAT. I think it's a good thing. I never thought the AAMC organic questions were bad. It wasn't one of my strengths.

CARS: practice practice practice.

Psychology: I remember a lot from the classes I have taken.

Sociology: My weakness in this section. I tend to have trouble applying social theories. Psych/Soc feels like straight recall and the passages feel like as long as you can reason your way through the answer choices, you should score well in this section.

Reactions: 1 user

Gen Chem: I relearn everything and learn some of the tricks I knew previously. Look at the equations every few days to see if I remember them to the dot. Although at times, I get lazy and say "oh I know that topic" and then when I do practice I fall for questions that are focused on nit-picky details. PS was by far my strongest section on the old test, I voided my old MCAT test but I do remember seeing a big 2-3 point jump about 3 weeks before my exam by reading the equations over and over on a daily basis. Memorizing them and knowing all the units.

Physics: Similar to general chemistry. I'm trying to understand certain topics that I really struggle with which are certain areas in physics 2 material. This used to be a hit or miss on the old test. I remember getting one or two wrong out of the 20-30 or so physics questions on one of the old AAMCs. On the old test, if the PS section worked in my favor I usually scored 2 points above my average. Right now I'm focusing on mostly my weak topics and all the relationships/nit picky details as well.

Biology: I remember after AAMC 3, my bio score was consistently at a lower score. I focusing more on reading passages more carefully and on discretes I make sure I completely understand every choice before putting down my answer.

Biochemistry: Right now I'm sporadic, sometimes I do great in it and sometimes I do poor. It needs more content review and practice.

Organic Chemistry: It feels like a lot less on the new MCAT. I think it's a good thing. I never thought the AAMC organic questions were bad. It wasn't one of my strengths.

Sociology: My weakness in this section. I tend to have trouble applying social theories. Psych/Soc feels like straight recall and the passages feel like as long as you can reason your way through the answer choices, you should score well in this section.

Thanks for sharing. I also need to retake the new MCAT. If you don't mind, could you tell us the materials you used for studying?

Thanks for sharing. I also need to retake the new MCAT. If you don't mind, could you tell us the materials you used for studying?

PR books for everything. Likely supplementing psych/soc with Khan Academy in the future and TBR Bio book 2 (2012 edition) for biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply. For how long did you study for or plan on studying?

Thanks for the reply. For how long did you study for or plan on studying?

I have been studying since the first or second week of April. I did 3 practice tests so far. I plan to do 3 more maybe 4. Definitely the remaining course tests 4-5 for TPR and FL2 if I have time because I heard the CARS section is especially difficult in that one.

Taking the AAMC test for sure. Planning to take 3-4 tests leading up to the exam in the last 4 week stretch.