Old MCAT reviews for new MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halcyon32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a ton of old MCAT review books and resources including: EK for BS, PS, verbal, audio osmosis for every subject; TPR for BS and PS; 4 Gold Standard videos that are about an hour long each for every subject except verbal (I'm not sure if these 4 videos encompass all of the info for every subject); EK 1001 questions for BS and PS; A LOT of TPR practice exams for each subject and AAMC full tests; and 14 Kaplan verbal practice tests.

My question is how effective would these be in studying for the MCAT 2015, because I'm using all of these resources pretty intensely and I don't want to sabotage myself by embedding a different style of questions and information present in these books if the new MCAT is very different in style. If I continue to study with these a lot would I be in good shape or is there a much bigger difference in the new MCAT review stuff for the 2015 version? I know I need to study Psych and Sociology, as well but I'll probably just take a class at uni for those.
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Old Verbal materials are 100% fine for the new MCAT(even though the passages that are based on science are no longer in the verbal section they are still solid practice).

I would strongly recommend getting an additional resource dedicated to biochem. That's what this test really focuses on and I'd be hesitant to just recommend on old sources to cover that sufficiently(even something like Berkeley Review that goes HAM on everything has parts missing on its review for biochem topics)

The MCAT is not necessarily very different in style from the old one but it might not be the most optimal use of study time to devour old books. The physical sciences is very hit or miss on this new test; you might get a ton of physics and ochem based questions on your test, you might barely even see a passage and see a ton of biochem related stuff instead. So be careful about that as well as there was a clear emphasis on physics, gen chem and OCHEM on the old MCAT that might not necessarily be on the version of your MCAT you end up taking.

Also really spend sufficient time on psych and sociology. The concepts are all very basic but everybody who takes the test is going to think this and the curve still exists that you need to beat the vast majority of test takers to get a good score in it. I would do more than just take an intro watered down class in intro to psych and soc and call it a day.

Old Verbal materials are 100% fine for the new MCAT(even though the passages that are based on science are no longer in the verbal section they are still solid practice).

I would strongly recommend getting an additional resource dedicated to biochem. That's what this test really focuses on and I'd be hesitant to just recommend on old sources to cover that sufficiently(even something like Berkeley Review that goes HAM on everything has parts missing on its review for biochem topics)

The MCAT is not necessarily very different in style from the old one but it might not be the most optimal use of study time to devour old books. The physical sciences is very hit or miss on this new test; you might get a ton of physics and ochem based questions on your test, you might barely even see a passage and see a ton of biochem related stuff instead. So be careful about that as well as there was a clear emphasis on physics, gen chem and OCHEM on the old MCAT that might not necessarily be on the version of your MCAT you end up taking.

Also really spend sufficient time on psych and sociology. The concepts are all very basic but everybody who takes the test is going to think this and the curve still exists that you need to beat the vast majority of test takers to get a good score in it. I would do more than just take an intro watered down class in intro to psych and soc and call it a day.

That reminds me, I have the Berkeley review, as well. Thanks a lot for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for newer stuff for biochem and psych and soc? i.e. review book companies?

That reminds me, I have the Berkeley review, as well. Thanks a lot for the advice. Do you have any recommendations for newer stuff for biochem and psych and soc? i.e. review book companies?

Kaplan is good for biochem. Berkeley Review's books do a solid job with biochem. Between those two that's a good background.

Psych/Soc you have to try many different things. Tons of people will tell you they saw a number of terms on the test they didn't see in the AAMC guide or in any test prep books. PR has gotten good reviews. EK is solid as a supplement. Khan Academy has solid practice questions for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan is good for biochem. Berkeley Review's books do a solid job with biochem. Between those two that's a good background.

Psych/Soc you have to try many different things. Tons of people will tell you they saw a number of terms on the test they didn't see in the AAMC guide or in any test prep books. PR has gotten good reviews. EK is solid as a supplement. Khan Academy has solid practice questions for this.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.