Old MCAT scores on my AMCAS app...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

007xx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that schools don't consider MCAT scores older than three years, so why are old MCAT scores still on my AMCAS app (from 2002 and earlier)? I just spent a lot of time preparing for the Aug. 6 MCAT to improve my score from earlier years and really want schools to focus on the updated score. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

They "don't consider" them as a valid score to be considered for this application cycle, but they will see every MCAT you ever took.

If you have been able to raise your score from the previous tests, they will definitely see that.

I posted the same question a couple of weeks ago. I took the test back in 2003 and according to schools, it is not valid and hence would not be acceptable. Moreover, many schools take the average of the MCATs taken or even the best score achieved on each section. So I wonder, if they are able to see them, would they use them at all. As a side note, four years after the other score and with about two months of preparation I was only able to raise my score by 2 points (34 to 36) and I actually went down in verbal (10 to 9). I'm happy about the score but it really makes you wonder about the consistency of the exam.

I posted the same question a couple of weeks ago. I took the test back in 2003 and according to schools, it is not valid and hence would not be acceptable. Moreover, many schools take the average of the MCATs taken or even the best score achieved on each section. So I wonder, if they are able to see them, would they use them at all. As a side note, four years after the other score and with about two months of preparation I was only able to raise my score by 2 points (34 to 36) and I actually went down in verbal (10 to 9). I'm happy about the score but it really makes you wonder about the consistency of the exam.

May I ask why you retook a 34? I'd kill for that score! I'm assuming you had to retake the test because the older score was no longer valid.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask why you retook a 34? I'd kill for that score! I'm assuming you had to retake the test because the older score was no longer valid.
You are correct. It was no longer valid:(.

I was under the impression that schools don't consider MCAT scores older than three years, so why are old MCAT scores still on my AMCAS app (from 2002 and earlier)? I just spent a lot of time preparing for the Aug. 6 MCAT to improve my score from earlier years and really want schools to focus on the updated score. Any opinions?
I don't know, but that's just the way AMCAS does things. Even bankruptcies go away after a decade. But hey, don't feel bad, because my old scores from 1996 were on there when I applied too. Shrug.

I don't know, but that's just the way AMCAS does things. Even bankruptcies go away after a decade. But hey, don't feel bad, because my old scores from 1996 were on there when I applied too. Shrug.
Didn't you score like 9 points more on your retake (from 34 to 43)?

I took the MCAT in 2004 and did really poorly. It's 4 years later and I performed better. I know all MCAT scores are recorded and seen by everyone. Do you know which schools average the scores and which ones take the best score? How will it hurt my chances? Also, during my four years, I have 4 abstracts, 1 publication and a MPH.

It's impossible to tell without calling the schools first. So, you should decide which schools you are considering applying to, and call them and ask them what their policy is.

It only seems fair however, that if they won't accept MCAT scores that are 3-4 years older, then they wouldn't consider them even if they were there...