Old MCAT v. 2015 MCAT: Which to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calalilly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I start, I know that I've seen this question in multiple other threads, but I feel as though it's a pretty individual question that I would love someone to play "devil's advocate" with me on...

I recently wrapped up my undergraduate with a major in Health Science, originally planning on going on to receive a Clinical Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Luckily, upon changing my mind, I realized that the Pre-PT requirements are extremely similar to Pre-Med. I was able to complete all the prerequisite courses without issue, and only needed to take two as elective credits. However, the Pre-PT track required me to take a lot of humanities-based health science courses that may not be required by many Pre-Med majors (i.e. Medical Anthropology, Physiological Psychology, Biomedical Ethics, Sociology of Medicine, Gerontology, Research Design & Methods in Healthcare, Epidemiology, Cognitive Psychology, Health Politics & Policies, Abnormal Psychology...). Additionally, I worked as a Writing Lab Consultant and Humanities Tutor for three years during my undergrad. My cumulative GPA upon graduation was a 3.9.

Honestly, I thought that the new format would give me a chance to show knowledge I gained through those courses and potentially boost my overall score.

For anyone out there with an opinion on this topic, please explain why (if you were me) you would/would not take the 2015 MCAT over the old format.

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the 2015 MCAT since i doubt you're applying the 2015-2016 cycle

I'm uncertain of which cycle I'll be applying for at this time, but am leaning towards the 2015-2016 cycle pending the exam results. However, I currently have the flexibility to take either the old or new format. I've been studying and could take it in November with a little bit more rigorous of a study program or, as I mentioned, I could take it in January.

I'm more just wondering why, given some of the circumstances I outlined, it wouldn't be advantageous for me to take the new format.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm uncertain of which cycle I'll be applying for at this time, but am leaning towards the 2015-2016 cycle pending the exam results. However, I currently have the flexibility to take either the old or new format. I've been studying and could take it in November with a little bit more rigorous of a study program or, as I mentioned, I could take it in January.

I'm more just wondering why, given some of the circumstances I outlined, it wouldn't be advantageous for me to take the new format.

1. Because it's a lot longer
2. Lack of resources to prep for new one

It's better to stick with what's known than diving into the unknown. But it's your call

1. Because it's a lot longer
2. Lack of resources to prep for new one

It's better to stick with what's known than diving into the unknown. But it's your call

That's exactly the responses I want to hear, thank you.

This should scare the **** out of you! www.mcat2015prep.org
Nut up and take the current test.
I generally distrust any study site which cannot properly distinguish your/you're.

I don't think new = bad, generally. I was in the first round of the new SAT.
Of course, the difference is that the MCAT is far more content-based, but it sounds as if you've got a strong handle on the course background for this one.
I'd decide when you are going to apply and go from there...if you want to submit in June 2015, take the current one. Anything later and you should probably move to the new one.

Reactions: 1 user