Old TBR Biology: Is it sufficient for biochem? Yes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoalaT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am here to answer the question in the title. I completed the full TBR Biology 2011 and cross referenced it with new Kaplan Biochem book to see if it was sufficient. I know lots of people are wondering if just using old TBR biology is good enough for Biochem studying.

The short answer is YES. Old TBR biology material worked extremely well for all the biochem subjects. It covered almost everything and in the amazing way that TBR does all its material.

However, there were small differences and maybe some slight holes, which I cover chapter by chapter here. Basically, I suggest you use TBR biology material and then supplement it with reviewing these subjects afterwards. (Kaplan ch1, 2, and 8 were covered perfectly).

Kaplan Ch3 : Does a better job of covering motor proteins and CAMs. Also it emphasizes differences in protein Assays you may not have gotten from TBR.

Kaplan Ch4 : TBR covered it all except TBR didn't discuss common disaccharides as much. Basically, it may just be helpful to memorize exactly what sucrose, maltose, and lactose are, which Kaplan wants you to do.

Kaplan Ch5 : Kaplan actually discussed the functions between fat-soluble vitamins and the deficiencies of each. TBR didn't cover this precisely (Basically, what do Vit K, vit A, vit D, and vit E do? And what happens when you have a deficiency?)

Kaplan Ch6 : Does a better job of discussing differences in Prok/Euk replication. It makes the differences black and white, whereas TBR kind of blurs the two together. Also kaplan spends some time talking about Telomeres and Telomerase, which I think are important.

Kaplan Ch7: Better distinction between Prok/Euk transcription and translation. Also it goes into more detail about the spliceosome and lariat structure that TBR kind of skims over.

Kaplan Ch9 : This is a good one to go over in its entirety simply because glycolysis is such an important topic in Biochem and it can't hurt to double down. TBR hits it real hard with a ton of info, but Kaplan focuses on extra details like Glut2 vs Glut4, Glucosekinase vs hexokinase, etc.

Kaplan Ch10: Heavier emphasis on different enzymes and memorizing them all whereas TBR focuses on conceptualizing the big picture.

Kaplan Ch11 : Kaplan goes in depth on Cholesterol metabolism, which I don't recall being specifically focused on in TBR. Also it emphasizes the differences between lipolipase and hormone-sensitive lipase.

Kaplan Ch12 : I would do this whole chapter. TBR does a great job of discussing metabolism in all its parts and does cover all this information. But Kaplan just straight up tells you exactly all the different metabolism changes that occur in response to hormones (Ex: increased insulin does "A in the muscles" "B in the bones" "C in adipocytes" and "D to blood levels"). It's good to just see it all plainly written in one place and these sort of big picture, "What metabolic changes occur when X increases" are pretty popular on the MCAT I think. TBR does cover it all, but its sort of spread out and covered by so much detail and information that you may want to review it in black in white "this does this" format.

Hope this helps. If anyone else used old TBR biology, would you agree?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Which chapters in the old TBR are you referring to?
Ya it was pretty stupid I didn't put that in there. It wouldn't have lined up perfectly anyway sense they are cut into different sections.

I am referring to all the TBR books. For example, amino acids aren't covered in extreme detail in biology. They are covered in the Nitrogenous compounds of organic chemistry, which I state serves as a good supplement for biochem Kaplan's chapter on amino acids. In the end, TBR's comparison to Kaplan's amino acids chapter is actually a mixture of TBR bio and TBR ochem books.

I should have made connections between the TBR chapters and Kaplan when I made this post, but I didn't and am not going to back and do it now. The point is, if you used old TBR material, you are in good shape for biochemistry. I did make some notes of things you may want to use as supplement, but all in all, old TBR does cover the new material.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am here to answer the question in the title. I completed the full TBR Biology 2011 and cross referenced it with new Kaplan Biochem book to see if it was sufficient. I know lots of people are wondering if just using old TBR biology is good enough for Biochem studying.

The short answer is YES. Old TBR biology material worked extremely well for all the biochem subjects. It covered almost everything and in the amazing way that TBR does all its material.

However, there were small differences and maybe some slight holes, which I cover chapter by chapter here. Basically, I suggest you use TBR biology material and then supplement it with reviewing these subjects afterwards. (Kaplan ch1, 2, and 8 were covered perfectly).

Kaplan Ch3 : Does a better job of covering motor proteins and CAMs. Also it emphasizes differences in protein Assays you may not have gotten from TBR.

Kaplan Ch4 : TBR covered it all except TBR didn't discuss common disaccharides as much. Basically, it may just be helpful to memorize exactly what sucrose, maltose, and lactose are, which Kaplan wants you to do.

Kaplan Ch5 : Kaplan actually discussed the functions between fat-soluble vitamins and the deficiencies of each. TBR didn't cover this precisely (Basically, what do Vit K, vit A, vit D, and vit E do? And what happens when you have a deficiency?)

Kaplan Ch6 : Does a better job of discussing differences in Prok/Euk replication. It makes the differences black and white, whereas TBR kind of blurs the two together. Also kaplan spends some time talking about Telomeres and Telomerase, which I think are important.

Kaplan Ch7: Better distinction between Prok/Euk transcription and translation. Also it goes into more detail about the spliceosome and lariat structure that TBR kind of skims over.

Kaplan Ch9 : This is a good one to go over in its entirety simply because glycolysis is such an important topic in Biochem and it can't hurt to double down. TBR hits it real hard with a ton of info, but Kaplan focuses on extra details like Glut2 vs Glut4, Glucosekinase vs hexokinase, etc.

Kaplan Ch10: Heavier emphasis on different enzymes and memorizing them all whereas TBR focuses on conceptualizing the big picture.

Kaplan Ch11 : Kaplan goes in depth on Cholesterol metabolism, which I don't recall being specifically focused on in TBR. Also it emphasizes the differences between lipolipase and hormone-sensitive lipase.

Kaplan Ch12 : I would do this whole chapter. TBR does a great job of discussing metabolism in all its parts and does cover all this information. But Kaplan just straight up tells you exactly all the different metabolism changes that occur in response to hormones (Ex: increased insulin does "A in the muscles" "B in the bones" "C in adipocytes" and "D to blood levels"). It's good to just see it all plainly written in one place and these sort of big picture, "What metabolic changes occur when X increases" are pretty popular on the MCAT I think. TBR does cover it all, but its sort of spread out and covered by so much detail and information that you may want to review it in black in white "this does this" format.

Hope this helps. If anyone else used old TBR biology, would you agree?

You are a saint. I have been completely unable to figure out how folks are using Kaplan Biochem in conjunction with the TBR Bio books. The only issue I have now, is that I have the latest (2018/2019) TBR books. I don't know if TBR updated them significantly enough that I'd no longer need Kaplan Biochem. Gotta do a bit more digging, I suppose, but your outline helps tremendously. Thank you!

On that note, if anyone using the 2016-2019 TBR books feels like chiming in as to how this outline applies to the new TBR books and Kaplan Biochem, that would be an amazing resource for those of us using the newer editions.

I am using the 2019 TBR and found Khan Academy Biochem videos necessary. I also am using KA transcripts and closed captioning along with pencil and paper to hand write my notes as I watch the videos. I feel this method works best for me. Ross Firestone in KA is excellent for Enzymes. KA is a huge time sink but given TBR deficiency in Biochem I felt it is necessary

Word up. I am going to follow the suggestion of the multiple versions of the SDN 100-day plan and use Kaplan Biochem in conjunction with the TBR series. I have been trying to find ways to minimize content review, but I have to trust my gut and know that I need a thorough review. I appreciate your reply. You studying for the exam now?

This would have been helpful to know. With all of the searching I did, I never noticed this thread before. I used current TBR books rather than the old ones being talked about when this thread started, but I think only the passages and questions changed in the newer books, not the chapter sequence or content.

Just a little heads up, Organic book 2 is half biochemistry so be sure to include that in your conversion.

Yes I have my exam in August. I also have been taking upper division science courses in biology and chemistry these past 2 years. I dont have a need to relearn content since I have been building upon foundational concepts. Knock em dead

I hope it goes well for you! I'm sure those upper division courses help quite a bit.

This would have been helpful to know. With all of the searching I did, I never noticed this thread before. I used current TBR books rather than the old ones being talked about when this thread started, but I think only the passages and questions changed in the newer books, not the chapter sequence or content.

Just a little heads up, Organic book 2 is half biochemistry so be sure to include that in your conversion.

The O-Chem 2 info is great to know. I'll have to check the topics out and see which Kaplan chapters link up with the O-Chem chapters.

I wouldn't bother trying to link Kaplan to the TBR Organic 2. It's not worth the time to look at Kaplan for that material. Do the reading and the passages in TBR and you'll be golden.

I wouldn't bother trying to link Kaplan to the TBR Organic 2. It's not worth the time to look at Kaplan for that material. Do the reading and the passages in TBR and you'll be golden.

I appreciate this. Do you think the same for the Kaplan Biochem book as well? I was planning on reading the entire TBR Bio material (I and II). Is it necessary to do Kaplan Biochem in this instance?