Old topic Heading: What are my chances of Top-Tier IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linus2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

It is no fun being anxious. Fortunately, even top Internal Medicine programs tend to look at your clinical grades, research experience, awards, etc. rather than focus solely on your Step I score.

Your Step 1 board score may prevent you from getting interviews at the super competitive programs (e.g. UCSF, BWH, MGH, Duke, etc.) ...but taking Step 2 CK early is a great idea and because you have done well in your clinical rotations, you will probably do well on the exam. With a good Step 2 score, I predict that you have no problems getting interviews from most of the other programs you have listed.

(When I interviewed at UW, my interviewer told me that they love to take their own students and students who have rotated there and done well. If you are really interested in UW, I recommend that you do a rotation there.)

Fortunately, there are MANY wonderful IM programs and the "top tier" programs are arguable (you'll find many a thread about them!)...it sounds like you have a strong application. Worry just enough to do well on Step 2.

Also: the SDN search will lead you to more questions like your OP...and more responses that will allay your anxiety.
Good luck to you!

Based on classmates I've spoken to, you're in great shape. Just do well on CK to bolster, but top tier IM isn't exactly derm..

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of great programs so that's the good news. your step1 score will probably hurt you some. maybe as others have mentioned, consider an away rotation. Be cautious about rotating at UCSF/BWH as both of these programs are infamous for not interviewing their rotators. I would bet that you will get interviews at some of the places on your list but UCSF/Duke/Harvard might be a bit hard to come by.

went to a med school that is considered upper tier by us news. had some nice letters, one of them happened to be a person my interviewer recognized. mid 90s for my step I.

ended up at a residency that is considered upper tier. co-residents had step scores ranging from 90-99 for step I. there is one in our class who had a <90 step I, but he was coming in from a killer med school so i think they 'forgave' him for it.

good luck. try to rock step 2 ck and get a great letter from your sub-i. medicine is more of a buyer's market overall.

Cool thanx for the info everyone. Derm hahaha god I am terrible at it, it all looks rashy to me. :laugh: