anoncurious

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I tried searching this forum and google, but to no avail..one can easily find the 2008 rankings on US News, but I was hoping to find the 2007 and 2006 (or more) rankings to see how schools are moving through the years. Did anyone happen to copy them and save them in an excel file or have a weblink or something like that?

Thanks!

JLC

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
somewhere online you can find the 2000 and maybe the 2005

the schools dont' really change except for one, Cornell which back in 2000 was 11th. Harvard and Hopkins were always 1 and 2, and Upenn and Wash U always 3 or 4. I noticed Columbia has moved down through the years (used to be 5th or 6th in 2000), while the others have consistently remained the same. Also only one school really continues to move up is Univ Pittsburgh which is unsurprising given how much is going on at that school.

anoncurious

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
hi - thanks for the response. I tried looking but I found ranknigs that conflicted and I'm not sure what to trust..did anyone happen to copy/paste the rankings from previous years (or have some other seemingly reliable source?)

Thanks!

About the Ads

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have heard that Yale and Stanford have also started to drop.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Michigan was in top 10 while UCLA wasn't. The fluctuations from year to year show that it is just a BS way of ranking the schools... no school fluctuates that much... I think it depends more on the students that attend the school. In that regard, class of 2013, do not disappoint me:p

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
The NIH should just save their money and send it to me instead of perpetuating horrible rankings. :cool:

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Michigan was in top 10 while UCLA wasn't. The fluctuations from year to year show that it is just a BS way of ranking the schools... no school fluctuates that much... I think it depends more on the students that attend the school. In that regard, class of 2013, do not disappoint me:p
Yeah I agree that they aren't really the greatest way to gauge, but they do provide reasonable "ranges" of schools. To accurately define who is best and who is worst, you would have to define what makes good medicine, what makes a good doctor, and what makes good research. Do research dollars really matter if the number two school is curing HIV and the number one is curing cancer? How can you say which one is truly a better contribution? My favorite example of why these rankings are a bit bogus is the fact that Mayo is ranked so low. It should be in the top 15 of SOMETHING at least...

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Badassedness. Top 15 of Badassedness.

jake2

Still in training... still in training...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2003
Not where I want to be
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
A long time ago, Yale used to be #3. When I applied to med schools, Duke was #3. A few years back, Hopkins got bumped down to 3.

The list moves around. I wouldn't get too bogged down on #5 vs. #9 or #25 vs. #34, but they are useful in getting a sense of the general categories schools fall in.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Badassedness. Top 15 of Badassedness.
Shall we tell them they must have forgot to put that list up? I know who would be number one in badassedness: Baylor. They take their interviewees out to a bar after the program is over. :laugh:

amph119

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
When do new rankings come out? I completely forget.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Where is UCSF on this list? Thats unfortunate that stanford is dropping, does anyone know what are the main factors considered? I'm a bit disappointed that WashU is ranked above those schools, because that school is notorious for hoarding students with 38/4.0 for higher rankings, while other schools like UCSF and UCLA value other activities such as public service and extensive volunteerism and are ranked lower....

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Where is UCSF on this list? Thats unfortunate that stanford is dropping, does anyone know what are the main factors considered? I'm a bit disappointed that WashU is ranked above those schools, because that school is notorious for hoarding students with 38/4.0 for higher rankings, while other schools like UCSF and UCLA value other activities such as public service and extensive volunteerism and are ranked lower....
Research dollars research dollars research dollars.

I beleive UCSF is in the top 10. Or is it SD?

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
About the Ads