Old US News Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pelliper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've used the search function and cannot find this post for the life of me. It's a composite of US News Rankings from the mid 90s to the mid 00's. If someone could like to it that would be awesome, I will bookmark it and never have trouble finding it again :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder why it matters to you? Why cant you just look at the latest version?

cause im trying to map out how med schools have been doing over the past two decades

i cant believe us news doesnt have their own archive...its almost as if they want us to forget

I hate to continue discussions like these but... Is it really that absurd that rankings have a lot of meaning to some, moderate meaning to others, and little to no meaning to the rest? To think that you will convince someone on SDN that rankings are useless (or useful) is simply arrogant. The OP had a reasonable request... now let it be.

I'm not seeing the arrogance in saying something that's arbitrarily defined is not the most useful metric in the world. :shrug: If the rankings themselves are bunk, trends in the rankings are going to be even more useless. If people don't want to look at evidence, that's on them, but that doesn't mean it's not worth at least trying to steer them away from bogus sources.

I'm not seeing the arrogance in saying something that's arbitrarily defined is not the most useful metric in the world. :shrug: If the rankings themselves are bunk, trends in the rankings are going to be even more useless. If people don't want to look at evidence, that's on them, but that doesn't mean it's not worth at least trying to steer them away from bogus sources.

:thumbup:

Perhaps even they know how meaningless their rankings are?

man, you sweep down in every US News thread to chime in about how meaningless the rankings are. it's almost as if you have an inferiority complex about it. we ALL know it's not like law and business rankings and we ALL know that you can do anything from any MD school so give it a rest already.

yeah US News rankings are not as important as it is for business and law students but the perceived prestige of the medical school DOES matter for the top competitive residencies at some locations, especially at the academic powerhouses..just look at the residency forums on SDN to see what residents and 4th year students are saying about how school prestige affected their residency match and the interviews they received..and US News UNFORTUNATELY contributes to the perception of prestige..its an extremely flawed and subjective source but its really the only major system of ranking for medical schools

man, you sweep down in every US News thread to chime in about how meaningless the rankings are. it's almost as if you have an inferiority complex about it.
Dude, Arkansas is going to rank really low regardless of who makes a list about what (except neurosurgery and peds, apparently...). I'm not sweating it. I do sweat people making decisions based on faulty information when I could've at least tried to help them out.
we ALL know it's not like law and business rankings and we ALL know that you can do anything from any MD school so give it a rest already.
Do we? That must be why there are so many threads about the rankings.

US News UNFORTUNATELY contributes to the perception of prestige..its an extremely flawed and subjective source but its really the only major system of ranking for medical schools
It's the only public and compiled source, at least.

Do we? That must be why there are so many threads about the rankings.

Because rankings/prestige do matter to a certain degree even though you want to convince yourself it does not.

yeah US News rankings are not as important as it is for business and law students but the perceived prestige of the medical school DOES matter for the top competitive residencies at some locations, especially at the academic powerhouses..just look at the residency forums on SDN to see what residents and 4th year students are saying about how school prestige affected their residency match and the interviews they received..and US News UNFORTUNATELY contributes to the perception of prestige..its an extremely flawed and subjective source but its really the only major system of ranking for medical schools

Actually, the US news rankings of business/law schools are probably more accurate and thus matter more.

For med schools, they don't tell you much of anything about the quality of schools. Considering that such a large number of the schools in this country don't even participate, how can they really be all that accurate?

Actually, the US news rankings of business/law schools are probably more accurate and thus matter more.

For med schools, they don't tell you much of anything about the quality of schools. Considering that such a large number of the schools in this country don't even participate, how can they really be all that accurate?

How are they more accurate?

Because rankings/prestige do matter to a certain degree even though you want to convince yourself it does not.
Why does saying the USNews rankings suck mean I think prestige is irrelevant? I am glad it doesn't matter as much as some would like to think though. ;)

The research rankings do a pretty good job telling people how good schools are at doing research. I think simply looking at the NIH #s is of more value to a certain degree but us news does a decent job of consolidating all the affiliates, etc.

Why does saying the USNews rankings suck mean I think prestige is irrelevant? I am glad it doesn't matter as much as some would like to though. ;)

There is some correlation between rank and prestige.

The law school rankings, for example, are based largely on how many students pass the BAR exam, and how many graduating seniors receive high-paying job offers - all pretty relevant info for someone looking to go to law school.

The research rankings for med schools are based largely on the amount of funding schools receive from the NIH. So sure, for someone looking to get into research, it's great. But to determine the quality of education you might receive there? It's not very useful.

The primary care rankings use, as a huge criterion, the number of graduates going into primary care specialties. What does this tell you, again, about the quality of education received at said schools? Nothing.

The law school rankings, for example, are based largely on how many students pass the BAR exam, and how many graduating seniors receive high-paying job offers - all pretty relevant info for someone looking to go to law school.

The research rankings for med schools are based largely on the amount of funding schools receive from the NIH. So sure, for someone looking to get into research, it's great. But to determine the quality of education you might receive there? It's not very useful.

The primary care rankings use, as a huge criterion, the number of graduates going into primary care specialties. What does this tell you, again, about the quality of education received at said schools? Nothing.

That's like saying how many people pass the USMLE and go onto residency at MGH/JHH/UCSF. That's not a true measure of quality of education either. I don't really follow your logic here.