General Admissions & OTCAS Older applicants, how far back do you go in your app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abcdeot90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm applying for the first time this application cycle. I'm currently 26 years old and I graduated from undergrad in 2014. I'm wondering how far back I should go when I list my extracurriculars. I held some leadership positions as an undergrad that I'd like to include in my app. Also, I did some volunteering relevant to the field of OT during undergrad that I'd like to include as well. Do you guys think this is appropriate or is it "too old"?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

So I'm applying for the first time this application cycle. I'm currently 26 years old and I graduated from undergrad in 2014. I'm wondering how far back I should go when I list my extracurriculars. I held some leadership positions as an undergrad that I'd like to include in my app. Also, I did some volunteering relevant to the field of OT during undergrad that I'd like to include as well. Do you guys think this is appropriate or is it "too old"?

If you feel that it makes your application stand out, I’d definitely add it. Considering they want to see all transcripts,from all schools, no matter how long ago it was, I’d say listing leadership/volunteerism that’s only four years old is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you feel that it makes your application stand out, I’d definitely add it. Considering they want to see all transcripts,from all schools, no matter how long ago it was, I’d say listing leadership/volunteerism that’s only four years old is appropriate.

Thanks for the response! I saw in a different thread that you're a "non-traditional" (for the lack of a better term) applicant as well. Did you have any issues when it came to tracking down old supervisors to confirm work or volunteering experience? I'm finding that the person that supervised the club that I was in is no longer the current supervisor, and my old place of employment has closed down permanently, so I'm kind of stumped about who to list as my supervisor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I saw in a different thread that you're a "non-traditional" (for the lack of a better term) applicant as well. Did you have any issues when it came to tracking down old supervisors to confirm work or volunteering experience? I'm finding that the person that supervised the club that I was in is no longer the current supervisor, and my old place of employment has closed down permanently, so I'm kind of stumped about who to list as my supervisor.

For my employment section I only went back to 2013. But I work in a hospital and I’ve had the same supervisor the entire time. I have had issues with OTs that I have shadowed no longer working at that location. After that happened the first time, I made my own sheet to keep up with my hours, and then when I have them write down their contact # I get their personal phone number instead of the facility phone number just in case they change jobs.

For my employment section I only went back to 2013. But I work in a hospital and I’ve had the same supervisor the entire time. I have had issues with OTs that I have shadowed no longer working at that location. After that happened the first time, I made my own sheet to keep up with my hours, and then when I have them write down their contact # I get their personal phone number instead of the facility phone number just in case they change jobs.

Oh I see, thanks for the tip! Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 1 user