older DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldies

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greeting to all...
Like to get some advice.
After 18 years working as an engineer, I finally realize that healh care is a more suitable and meaningful career. I want to become a DO. I believe I have the drive, energy and intelligence to become one. What I don't know is what to do to get in a DO school. I think I will need a different strategy and credentials to be more competitive with the 20's crowd. I would be appreciative of any advice from those who have been through this process in their 30-40's.

Again thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Believe it or not, there are quite of few people in our program who have changed careers! We have ex-accountants, a lawyer, RN's, professors, lab techs and so on!
One thing you should really do is to contact the school you desire to go to and find out exactly the requirements for that school. (I believe the AOA has a book of the Osteopathic schools and their requirements as well.) I graduated with a liberal arts degree, so I went back to a community college to do some basic sciences and took a few extension classes at the University.
With a Engineering degree, you might have some science classes under your belt, but you might want to double check on what you might need.
Good luck and hang in there! After I changed paths and started back, I thought I would never make it - but here I am!!! and I love it!
:)

We have a good 2 dozen or so people in my class over 40 at DMU

Members don't see this ad :)
Oldies...this may mean nothing to you but I was one of the 20 somethings, fresh out of undergrad, applying to med school and I was intimidated by the older applicants. It seemed that they had so much more to offer than I did. I think your life experience gives you a competitive edge over younger applicants; makes you stronger :)

I think old and greys have better senses of humor - that is something to admire!

I am 37 y.o. I worked 16 years as a paramedic and then got my B.S. Biology-Premedicine. I augmented my education with independent research, presenting my results at 3 - 5 science meetings each year. I also volunteered time with health care career programs for elementary children and dental health programs in medically underserved areas.
I found that D.O. schools were looking for the well rounded student with goals leading to primary care. I think the oldest student at LECOM is 55. Don't think that you won't be considered because of your age.

I must agree with Lisa....DO schools value the experience you bring more than allopathic schools. If you finish the pre-reqs and the MCAT with a decent score and apply in a timely fashion to AACOMAS, I think you will be surprised ad pleased at what the schools have to offer you.

best to you,

electra

I'm a non traditional (read: oldie) starting this fall. I second the motion of the poster above who stated that osteopathic schools are more open to those with different backgrounds. I interviewed with both allo and osteo schools, and it was my experience that the allo schools were quite a bit more concerned about age and professional background, with a half stated assumption of being unable to adapt. The osteo schools seemed to actually value my experience. Consequently, I'm going to an osteo school and have turned down all allo acceptances. If I were you, I'd write or email AACOMAS and ask them to send you the catalog giving the school descriptions (which also includes average entering stats and requirements). Then contact the schools that you are interested in or visit their web sites. Just don't let anyone discourage you, if this is your dream , then go for it! Best of Luck!

Thanks to all for words of encouragement and advices. I hope to come to know some of you some day. My NASA days are definitely a thing in the past. Do school here I come.

Not only am I ancient (32) but I'm prolific as well (6 kids).

So I didn't fit the typical mold to the average MD/DO applicant. As I learned more about the DO system I saw the embracing of the student that has changed his life around and reversed course to go to med school.

With working full-time and being a full-time student and being a dad, one MD school questioned if I was "REALLY motivated to be a doctor"!!! My guess is when the didn't see a long list of recent extracurricular medical experience they figured that me going back to school for the SOLE purpose of medical school was some sort of whim. It was a VERY pedagogical view of me and I was pretty irritated but my wife was even more steamed than I was.

Nevertheless, I reapplied and here I am, starting school in Aug. I've met several docs that have gone through med school with 3,4,5 and yes 6 kids like me. It's completely doable but certainly has it's difficulties.

Well gotta go, kids getting baths.

Superdad Dave

Oldies - never give up your dream! there is room and undestanding for us Older Students. I retired after 15 years working and establishing a family business with my dad and brothers. In 98 I went back to college and just graduated with a BS in Chem last month. I was accepted into a DO School in AZ called Midwestern University. They looked past the numbers to where I've been and what I've experienced. SW Dave, I've got you on the age (38) but you edged me on the kids (5). With a family behind you and believing in you, you can accomplish just about anything you want to. Dream your dream and make it happen, don't let anyone tell you different! :D :D :D :D :cool:

ya know, every time I read a success story of an older non-trad. student getting into med school, I think it's just awsome! Way to go guys and gals! It goes to show, that if you put your mind to something, that it can and will happen! Once again, GOOD JOB!

hey superdad,

similar experience to yours when I interviewed at allo school....the adcom person was all concerned that I didn't have quite as much (medical) experience as the next candidate. She literally asked me "how do we know that you will be able to handle getting to school and the hospital if you can only go to school now?" I said, "because I go to work 45 hours every week and I've missed four days of work in five years, and I go to shool full-time." HELLO!

this is a great thread! This alone will tell the difference between many (NOT ALL!) MD schools and interviewers attitudes and DO. My situation is similar, but I am still 25. I worked, went to school, am married with 2 kiddo's. Don't give up on anything. At MSU-COM, there was a 'older man' in the 2nd year class that was 57 years old!

Good Luck! :) :) :) :D

I agree this is a great thread! It's so interesting to hear about everyone's experiences prior to entering medical school. A doctor and director of the resident program at a local medical school, who wrote a recommendation for me, stated from her experience that it was the older more experienced applicants that made the most successful medical students and physicians. Maybe she was just trying to make me shine, but I believe there is a lot of truth behind that statement.

Personally, after graduating college, I raced bicycles at the professional level for approximately two years and then spent the last four years working in the clinical trial industry. When applying to medical school, it was the osteopathic schools that were really interested in how my life experiences would help me on my path to becoming a physician. These I felt were the most appropriate questions for the interviewers to ask, not questions such as "tell me a little bit about your organic chemistry II class …".

Good luck to everyone this fall!

does anyone know where you can find stats on the schools re number or percentage of students over 30?