Older Editions of Required/Recommended Texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtle48

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus about using older editions of required texts for classes? Obviously, when dealing with subjects like anatomy, no changes are really made in the content of the text, but rather the presentation. So if I am able to get a hand-me-down of Anatomy texts like Moores, Grants and Netters (all one or two editions older than the newest one on the market), should I not buy the new editions?

Does using old editions cause difficulty in class (ie. if professors refer to specific pages in texts?)?

Members don't see this ad.

I know at least someone out there can answer this question...

I certainly have no plans to buy newer editions of my 5-year-old Harrison's, Netter's, Cecil's, etc. from PA school. There are books I will update, such as Current MD&T, pharm books, etc. More likely than not I'll use mdconsult.com (I love this website) which has nearly every text online, fully searchable, for the stuff I don't have but might need.
Lisa PA-C
applying to MD 2006

Turtle48 said:
I know at least someone out there can answer this question...

Members don't see this ad :)
buy the newer edition for netters atlas, 3rd edition..they will refer to the plate numbers in class and it will make it alot easier for you in group studying as well to have the same edition. other then that..doesn't matter for moore.

Turtle48 said:
What is the consensus about using older editions of required texts for classes? Obviously, when dealing with subjects like anatomy, no changes are really made in the content of the text, but rather the presentation. So if I am able to get a hand-me-down of Anatomy texts like Moores, Grants and Netters (all one or two editions older than the newest one on the market), should I not buy the new editions?

Does using old editions cause difficulty in class (ie. if professors refer to specific pages in texts?)?

It really depends on the class. I think anatomy, biochem, physio, and perhaps first year classes in general, it's easier to get away with older texts. However for second year subjects like pathology, immuno, pharm, I would definitely get the latest editions.