Older/married students at Wake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got some helpful info from a Wake M1 already, but I thought I'd throw this out to the crowd.

Wake's got a relatively small class size. How well do the non-trads fit into the student body? Are there many students with spouses and/or kids? How do the SOs deal with having someone studying all day long?

Members don't see this ad.

While I personally didn't even apply to Wake, my boyfriend's sister-in-law is doing MD/Phd there and she is (obviously) married. Her husband is in the Army, so during much of her first year he was actually deployed, which left her with studytime. Since he's been back, I know that she does alot of listening to lectures in the car on her way to class (they're posted online, so she can use her laptop) and spends evenings going over work. When she was studying for boards, she would ride with him to the base and study at the library there. I have no idea how common married students are there, but they both seem very happy with the situation. I know that class attendance isn't required there, and with lectures posted online that would give you some flexibility as far as taking care of kids.

FutureDrKt said:
While I personally didn't even apply to Wake, my boyfriend's sister-in-law is doing MD/Phd there and she is (obviously) married. Her husband is in the Army, so during much of her first year he was actually deployed, which left her with studytime. Since he's been back, I know that she does alot of listening to lectures in the car on her way to class (they're posted online, so she can use her laptop) and spends evenings going over work. When she was studying for boards, she would ride with him to the base and study at the library there. I have no idea how common married students are there, but they both seem very happy with the situation. I know that class attendance isn't required there, and with lectures posted online that would give you some flexibility as far as taking care of kids.

Man your not old or non-traditional, if you are than your getting me depressed, your YOUNG and you will fit in perfectly, especially if you pull off the young looking age like i do at my age, i look younger than I am and i know your married and wont be looking for gfs but let me tell you if your non-traditional, then THIS non traditional (me) fit in perfect and got all the young cute bebes, its GREAT being in your late 20s, thats when you know it all and get all the cute naive girls who are too early to know the game and too ******ed at times. Wherever you go you will fit in perfectly, btw i am quite suprised you picked Wake Forest over Georgetown, any specific reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Wake MS2...I think our married students fit in extremely well (in fact, by the time you get to be a resident here, it's sort of hard to fit in if you're NOT married!). I'm a traditional single 24 year old, but most of the people I hang out with from our class are married. It's not a big deal at all. We have had about three or four children born to students in our class already and three women currently pregnant, and from what I can tell, our class as a whole is very supportive. I think the married students and parents fit in just fine with the rest of the class, although they tend to stay away from the occassional keg parties. Still, there are so many of them that they have had a strong voice in deciding what kind of social events will be held, and so many of them are designed to be family-friendly. There is also a new club for students with families.

So, from the limited perspective of a non-married non-non-traditional student, I think Wake is THE school for married and non-traditional students.

AtomKr said:
So, from the limited perspective of a non-married non-non-traditional student, I think Wake is THE school for married and non-traditional students.

LOL. :)

Without making a real commitment, I'd have to say that Wake is very high on my list. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to location and costs of living, but I'm no longer a free-wheeling single man. The issue is finding and maintaining support for the rest of my family, since I'm going to be busy for most of the time and I wouldn't want them to turn against me halfway through med school! Decisions, decisions...