Older non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msdo48

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an older(48) non traditional student(black female) who wants to be a DO very badly, but I am concerned about several things: First, I am just now getting to the university level, having been accepted at a CSU school this fall. My transfer gpa from the community college level is only 2.71,but I am also not great at math. Secondly, I know this is like beating a dead horse but I am concerned that when I get my BS in Biology (concentration Physiology), I will be in my early 50's(51). I really want to go to Western University, especially since I went to a conference last year :D . Anyway, how do I boost my gpa and become competitive?? I love science but not great at math, but I know I need it and I am more than willing to bust my behind to get where I want to go. I have a supportive b/f who encourages me and family as well, but I get discouraged sometimes (like now) and want to throw in the towel and go back to nursing-then remember how much I hated being a CNA!! :( Any advice/feedback is greatly appreciated :) This seems like a very supportive place! Thanks again, msdo48.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about your age, there are plenty of DO schools that will accept non-traditional students. As far as the GPA goes, you just have to work hard and do the best you can. You want to bring it up to at least 3.0. You also need to work hard to prepare for your MCAT. Western/COMP has average MCAT about 27 (9 in each section) so you should try to aim higher. I think you have enough clinical experiences.

Thanks, dr z. I'll keep that in mind. I also have military medical experience (Army/Navy /Army Reserves) as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm struggling with High level math myself, the best thing is to find a tutor, look for smaller class sizes, discussion/tutoring and try to get close with the professors in your most difficult subject.

I admire your commitment, your as old as you feel and if you feel able to take on the challenge, then you must. Don't give up, your not too old, best wishes!

Thank you for your support!! I don't feel so old after all :laugh: I'm going to continue to Go For It!! msdo48

racerx said:
Also, check out www.oldpremeds.org for others like ourselves. There is a surgical resident that is in her 50's and routinely kicks b*tt!!!

There are a few folks begining in there 50's....check out the site!!!

There's a lady that's gonna be in my class who's in her mid 40's I believe. She had been a nurse for 8 yrs but decided to go DO. I guess it's never too late. As far as how you can boost your GPA.... It's called concentration, perserverance, and plain hardwork. There's no secret to getting killer grades (unless you cheat). :laugh:

Wow I commend you for wanting to go to med school at 48, I know for sure that I wouldn't have that drive at 48 :laugh: If being a doc is what you truly
want to be then it shouldn't really matter to you how old you are. Just put it in perspective when you finish your BS at 51 med school will take you 4 yrs then residency will take you 3-4 depending on specialty you'll be 58 so you can still practice for several years before retirement ;). However, you'll probably be paying off your massive loan over 200K for several yrs as well (unless you're not loaning any $)...Sooooo what's my point? I certainly hope you're not wanting to go DO for the money, cuz if you are, nursing will definetly be a lot more lucrative career in your case :thumbup:

don't let the pundits deter you - it is a great thing that you are doing. people seem to forget that 50 is the new 30 -- i am not far behind as i will be 45 when i start medical school. your story is an inspiration to me. thanks for sharing it and study hard.

tpk said:
don't let the pundits deter you - it is a great thing that you are doing. people seem to forget that 50 is the new 30 -- i am not far behind as i will be 45 when i start medical school. your story is an inspiration to me. thanks for sharing it and study hard.

I like that.... since I'm 42 and start med school in Aug. That makes me ...like 22. Lots of us old folks are going for it. Many of us had crappy GPAs back in the day. Luckily there is no law against a fresh start. The most important thing is to do very well now. It helps if you enjoy classes and the whole school environment. I've worked hard to get in and if you are prepared to dig in and let nothing stand in your way... you can get in too.
Good luck.

haha, i love this. then im just a toddler, maybe i haven't even been born yet. good luck to all of you. its very possible, and if you want it, you'll definitely get there.

Don't worry about your age. I am a member of Old Pre Meds and I can tell you that you have nothing to be worried about.

We have a convention every year, we just had this year's convention 2 weeks ago. Let me say that if you were under 30, you were in the minority.

Next year's convention is already being planned so join us and see what we are all about.
:thumbup:

i am also an old one(43) in the class of average 23. academically i don't have any problem to compete with those kids. so age will never be an issue, just go for what you really want to do. for me, i simply don't know what else i can do except medicine.
good luck!!!