Older (offline) NBMEs opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New poster here!

I just finished going through NBME 3, for practice for NBME style questions (rather than uworld/qbank), and managed to do fairly well. Got 20 wrong = 90% correct. I assume this is around mid 240's to low 250 range?

Should I be even using the older NBMEs to gauge progress, or just look at them for practice?

I took NBME 12, 11, 5 already.. like months ago.. all around 215-230 range.

However, I took USWA1 a couple of days ago and got a 248 (so here's hoping it didn't over-predict too much for me)

Members don't see this ad.

New poster here!

I just finished going through NBME 3, for practice for NBME style questions (rather than uworld/qbank), and managed to do fairly well. Got 20 wrong = 90% correct. I assume this is around mid 240's to low 250 range?

Should I be even using the older NBMEs to gauge progress, or just look at them for practice?

I took NBME 12, 11, 5 already.. like months ago.. all around 215-230 range.

However, I took USWA1 a couple of days ago and got a 248 (so here's hoping it didn't over-predict too much for me)

I got 11 wrong on NBME3 and that was 250, taken on their official website. Their curve is ridiculously steep.

Holy ****. 95% and only 250??? That's the worst curve I've heard so far. So 20 wrong must've been like a high 230, low 240 then. Wow.

Honestly though, I had taken that exam at the end of July, and now that I look back on it, a couple of the questions I got wrong on that form were really really easy (I only say that now that I've done Kaplan and UWorld QBanks). No one has ever disputed that the NBMEs are a lot easier than UWorld and the real USMLE. The only thing that makes them "harder" is their curves, apparently. And I'm certain that it was 11 wrong out of 200 because I had taken all of my incorrects and put them into a Powerpoint (the ijn method), and it only came out to 22 slides (two slides per question + answer).

Damn. I got 20 wrong, and I was like.. nice.. finally broke 250.. but I guess not lol.

So if going with the general/popular consensus, I've already used up my 'good' predicting NBMEs: 11, 12.

I've only got 7 and 13 left, along with UWSA2.