1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Older students? What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by David_Allen_VA, Jul 4, 2000.

1. David_Allen_VA

David_Allen_VA Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

All,

As an older med school hopeful (25 now, will be 27 when matriculating), do you think that the chances of sucessful application are similar to those of younger (i.e. straight out of undergraduate school) applicants? I graduated this May (3.95 gpa), but in Computer Science. Hence I have a year of chemistry and biology to complete before it would be sensible to apply. I have yet to take the MCATs (probably next Spring), and am concerned that med schools may look unfavorably upon older applicants - I have heard that they will view older applicants as less beneficial to the profession, as they have fewer years before retirement. While on the subject, I have two children, a full time job, and shall be attenting school a couple of evenings a week to complete the minimum requirements for entry. How important is extensive volunteer work, and would one evening a week for a year or so (probably shadowing am MD or working in a volunteer clinic) be sufficient? Thanks for any advice...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. youngjock

youngjock Membership Revoked
    Removed

25 is not old at all. some are not even married at that age, not to mention about 2 children.

you started early, huh.

4. rangers1

rangers1 Member
    10+ Year Member

I believe that being a little older than those in the applicant pool who apply right out of college can be very beneficial. The personal statement on your application will be the opportunity to highlight the enormous benefit of being older and probably, more mature.
    I do not intend to discredit any student right out of college who applies to med school. Many deserve an acceptance and will make great physicians. I do however believe the experiences away from the sheltered world of school solidifies an older applicants devotion to medicine.
    Starting med school in your late twenties is far, very far, from old. You should not be at a dissadvantage at all. In an effort to produce a diverse class, admissions committees seek students from all ethnic and age groups. Being slightly older and a computer science major could be the distinction that gets you noticed. Good Luck.

5. 1918

1918 Member
    10+ Year Member

Your age is not going to hurt you. It might help if you can demonstrate that the extra years have provided you with valuable experience, maturity, resolve, etc.

Your family obligations may lead to questions in an interview (e.g. How do you plan on being a father/husband while dealing with the demands of med school, etc.) Just be prepared when the time comes.

Shadowing is alright, but if you can make time/find an opportunity to volunteer at a clinic or somewhere else where you can see and do more, it would be to your benefit.

Good luck [​IMG]