Quantcast

OMFS 6 Year Route [Medical School Costs]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of programs which pay for your med school other than Louisville. Or does anyone know of programs which offer a stipend thats significant enough to at least partially offset medical school costs during your medical school time. I'm looking at various schools and trying to get an idea of True costs.
Also another question I had was about in state residency. I'm assuming that most programs have you do 1 year of OMFS service before starting medical school and therefore you would be classified as an in state resident for medical school. This has a huge impact on costs. If anyone knows of exceptions where this isn't true please let me know.

Thanks,

:)

servitup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Baylor gives you a stipend that covers tuition and then some.
2. Mayo give you a stipend which covers tuition.
3. U of Fl - Gainesville gives you a stipend which covers tuition and then some.
4. Penn gives you a stipend which covers tuition.
5. UMKC pays a stipend which will cover tuition.

Some of these programs, ie. Penn and UMKC require you to take call while in med school to keep the stipend.

I think just about everywhere gives you in-state tuition. I think San Antonio may not though based off of their website but I didn't go to the interview to get the scoop on that.

DrTacoElf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will have to check into San Antonio about that. TX in general seems to be the most affordable state :)

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a slightly different question...

Do you get paid for the 4-year OMFS residency or do you have to pay?

Count Orlok

Octagonecologyst
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
you get paid by pgy. only a few charge tuition but it is usually much less than the pay.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Baylor gives you a stipend that covers tuition and then some.
2. Mayo give you a stipend which covers tuition.
3. U of Fl - Gainesville gives you a stipend which covers tuition and then some.
4. Penn gives you a stipend which covers tuition.
5. UMKC pays a stipend which will cover tuition.

Some of these programs, ie. Penn and UMKC require you to take call while in med school to keep the stipend.

I think just about everywhere gives you in-state tuition. I think San Antonio may not though based off of their website but I didn't go to the interview to get the scoop on that.

is there time to moonlight while at any of those programs?

Dr.Millisevert

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm fascinating but jeez it's just getting creepy now.

I think servitup is just commenting on the fact that your asking questions that could be easily answered if you simply took the time to read the residency information on a few programs websites. I don't think people mind answering your questions... but putting effort into doing a simple google search and reading some information before you ask some questions is usually appreciated. :thumbup:

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I was being sarcastic. Actually, I did look it up and could not find a site that stated the benefits/salary of OMFS residency. He's just being an a$$hole. If I had him as a chief resident, I would transfer...has no social skills.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I was being sarcastic. Actually, I did look it up and could not find a site that stated the benefits/salary of OMFS residency. He's just being an a$$hole. If I had him as a chief resident, I would transfer...has no social skills.

I'm hope you're just being sarcastic again, because if you think servitup is being being mean, you're in for a world of hurt if you ever get into an OMFS program. I would really suggest going and shadowing a OMFS resident to see what the hospital surgery culture is all about.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMFS' are a bad group, socially inept or something.

servitup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there time to moonlight while at any of those programs?

Yes. Baylor allows moonlighting during the first 2.5 years which are in Lubbock at Texas Tech Med School. Louisville allows it also. UF and Penn do not. Not sure about Mayo as I didn't apply there.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, those dental surgeons are so hardcore that only guys do it. Haha.

servitup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The percentage of women in OMFS is something like 3% nationally. I think that's more self selection than anything actively keeping them out though.

I agree. It seems UNC only accepts women for their 6 yr position these days though. I think it is like 4 of the last 5 and there are some upcoming seniors in line for the next one.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The percentage of women in OMFS is something like 3% nationally. I think that's more self selection than anything actively keeping them out though.
I know, I heard it was 2%. I hope you're right about self selection.

SororityOMFS

Cuz Every CoEd Needs anOS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Haha, you'd just hop around from program to program cuz every chief resident is there to make sure you don't screw up and fix all your mistakes.....you'd probably think he/she is an a$$hole.

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure every chief resident is like that...? You do know that real residents are not like the ones on Grey's and Scrubs right?

Squished Rat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes. Baylor allows moonlighting during the first 2.5 years which are in Lubbock at Texas Tech Med School. Louisville allows it also. UF and Penn do not. Not sure about Mayo as I didn't apply there.

No moonlighting at Mayo. But they pay you to go to med school.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure every chief resident is like that...? You do know that real residents are not like the ones on Grey's and Scrubs right?

You're right, because they swear a lot more and are more derogatory :thumbup:

Transcript of a chat with a friend who just finished a rotation at Highland:

residents are nice, but they make fun of everyone constantly
so i figured out a few things you have to do to get ready
1) make sure you can use the words "****" or "****" in every sentence that you speak
2) be as racist/prejudice as you can
3) get excited when you hear about people jumping off freeway overpasses and surviving
4) learn how to pretend you're really interested in what the attendings are saying, even if they're talking about some new lawnmower they just bought
5) and know how to make coffee
i think if you can master all those 5 things, the rest will be cake

brycethefatty

thefatone
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I know, I heard it was 2%. I hope you're right about self selection.

Oh yes, those dental surgeons are so hardcore that only guys do it. Haha.

OMFS' are a bad group, socially inept or something.

What is wrong with you? Quit stalking me, I know I'm fascinating but jeez it's just getting creepy now.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a slightly different question...

Do you get paid for the 4-year OMFS residency or do you have to pay?

One day we're going to look back at this thread and laugh . . .:rolleyes:

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is a pre-optometry student trying to school me in OMFS? I don't get it...

benchod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Name: Brycethefatty
Specialty/Where: OMFS 4-year/Highland General Hospital
Dental School Attended: Pacific
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008 (if god listens to prayers)
NBDE Part I/II scores: 93/?
Class Ranking: 20/139
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: Highland, Carle, Metrohealth
Research: Diabetes, 2 table clinics
Extracurriculars: OMFS club, tutor
Applied/interviews granted/interviews attended/programs ranked/:"a handful"/20/13/12

Think its more a joke on his part.

Columbia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

LOL! I think you need to realize that Brycethefatty is going to be a first year OMFS resident starting July 1. :laugh:

Count Orlok

Octagonecologyst
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL! I think you need to realize that Brycethefatty is going to be a first year OMFS resident starting July 1. :laugh:

you mean a OMFS resident/pre-optometry hopeful starting july 1

haha

CanuckDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Ok man, normally I don't respond to stuff like this but I'm just trying to help...

You do know that the people in this thread are the REAL RESIDENTS right? They are not making this up based on their favourite medical drama. It is a RESIDENT forum.

The search button is on top right of the page and you take a lot less abuse by given'er a whirl....

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

actually i did research on this... 12% of graduates from the last 5 years from the programs that responded to my survey were females..

servitup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who do you think is most likely to respond to a survey about females in oral surgery?

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who do you think is most likely to respond to a survey about females in oral surgery?

Survey could have been something like "Do you now, or have you ever had full, voluptuous breasts?"

Then you'd get answers from women and guys like brycethefatty

shabu2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok man, normally I don't respond to stuff like this but I'm just trying to help...

You do know that the people in this thread are the REAL RESIDENTS right? They are not making this up based on their favourite medical drama. It is a RESIDENT forum.

The search button is on top right of the page and you take a lot less abuse by given'er a whirl....

Just take a look at the demise of this thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=509250

RazorDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just take a look at the demise of this thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=509250

I would agree that this thread is getting ridiculous. I am not a resident nor will I be one on July 1st. I will only be a lowly intern. Basically, it means I am two levels below the dead bugs in clinic. Anyway, although cost is important in your decision please realize that when you pursue this career that you will be a surgeon. Attempt to go to the program that fits you best and pray to god that you get into any program. I know so many people who live and believe this profession and they would give their left "well you know" to get into any program. Cost should not be your primary factor in choosing programs. Hell it shouldn't be in the top 5. Finally, almost everyone who posts on here are or will be residents so show some respect. I would kill to be any of these guys or ladies intern. Just my two cents.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

well my question wasn't really related about how many females were in the program.. it was the characteristics of programs that produced more faculty.. but that was an additional thing i found..