OMFS after being away from dentistry for 2 years for phD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headsup

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how the directors will look upon a student who pursued phD while in dental school and 2-3 years after graduating? Is it going to be helpful in matching or a negative factor?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how the directors will look upon a student who pursued phD while in dental school and 2-3 years after graduating? Is it going to be helpful in matching or a negative factor?

thanks in advance

Did u finish ur PhD??
I think if you have it, that would look good for some programs that are more research oriented. UCSF for sure, definitely Harvard, and probably others. I applied during my MS, I don't know if it hurt but I don't think it helped me.

No I don't have a phD right now, but I have the option,
considering that you matched, why do you think the MS didn't help?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I don't have a phD right now, but I have the option,
considering that you matched, why do you think the MS didn't help?

Well because my scores/ranks/awards/honors were overall pretty impressive. I had more than average experience in OMS, did 2 externships, had pretty decent letters of rec, but at the end i didn't get as many interviews as anyone would reasonably expect. It's hard to say obviously why, it just could've been that PD's didn't like my SOP or even picture. But from what I gathered, OMS ppl like applicants who are very focused. Applicants who are either right out of dental school or have done GPR or even better an internship. Besides, OMS is already too long. If you wanna do it, just focus on that, it's plenty of work. The prospect of doing academia, specially if you're doing basic science is not very promising. You'd be way too distracted. It's hard to even be good at both let alone excellent, and that's if ur willing to sacrifice any social life you would otherwize return to after residency.

thanks for the through response
I think what you are saying makes sense.
Thanks again