OMFS/ENT splitting coverage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is trauma coverage (or any other duty for that matter) split by OMFS and ENT. I think there is some overlap but not sure how much. I think at some places OMFS handles facial trauma and in other places it might be ENT or someone else, but are there any places where the two (or a third specialty) are used interchangeabley to cover some assignments?

Members don't see this ad.

flynnt said:
Is trauma coverage (or any other duty for that matter) split by OMFS and ENT. I think there is some overlap but not sure how much. I think at some places OMFS handles facial trauma and in other places it might be ENT or someone else, but are there any places where the two (or a third specialty) are used interchangeabley to cover some assignments?

This is how we roll at Iowa:

ENT has 25 residents, we have 10. So, we get 1 week of trauma to their 3 weeks. All isolated nasal fractures go to ENT, all isolated mandibles come to us. It works out pretty well for us, we get enough trauma experience, but not so much as it bogs us down from our other endeavors. We don't have a plastic surgery team at Iowa so we don't have to deal with them.

flynnt said:

We do 100% of face trauma at our primary level 1 teaching hospital, almost 100% at our children's hospital, and about 75% at another level 1 hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general facial trauma is covered by either Plastics, ENTs, or OMFSs. Where programs/hospitals has all three, then all three services will rotate covering facial trauma.

After Katrina, LSU ENTs left New Orleans to LaFayette so currently it's only LSU Plastics and us covering facial trauma (FACE) every other day throughout the entire month. On days that we are not on FACE, we only take isolated mandible fractures.

Yah-E said:
In general facial trauma is covered by either Plastics, ENTs, or OMFSs. Where programs/hospitals has all three, then all three services will rotate covering facial trauma.

After Katrina, LSU ENTs left New Orleans to LaFayette so currently it's only LSU Plastics and us covering facial trauma (FACE) every other day throughout the entire month. On days that we are not on FACE, we only take isolated mandible fractures.

Here at AGH, we cover three weeks of facial trauma and plastics covers one week.

At LSU we take one day of face call per month. All the rest goes to OB/GYN.

Yah-E said:

Damn, I thought y'all we're eat'in boiled crawfish all day while sippin on that syzzrup. Must be tough to fix them fx's while juiced on Abita Reconstruction... Just my 2 cents..

flynnt said:
At UAB, we cover face call week 2 and the last 10 or 11 days of each month. Plastics takes week 1, ENT week 3. We take about 75% of children's, plastics takes week 1. Nice alternation overall of trauma/non-trauma call...

We cover face q3 at two different teaching hospitals = 2 interns on call every face night.

still have a year untill OMFS applications and was compiling a list of 1/3 6 yrs and 2/3 4 year programs. I was wondering if anyone has information regarding the tufts program. (intensity and quality of prep for initiating a practice)

metalloprotease said:
still have a year untill OMFS applications and was compiling a list of 1/3 6 yrs and 2/3 4 year programs. I was wondering if anyone has information regarding the tufts program. (intensity and quality of prep for initiating a practice)
If private practice is what you want to do, then you should be fine as long as the program is accredited.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE said:
We cover face q3 at two different teaching hospitals = 2 interns on call every face night.

:( i wish i had the strength to go into detail... sniffle

north2southOMFS said:
At LSU we take one day of face call per month. All the rest goes to OB/GYN.

That must be some sweet face call. If it is anything like SA, you prolly can't tell which end is up anyway....

Jediwendell said:
That must be some sweet face call. If it is anything like SA, you prolly can't tell which end is up anyway....
It's all gums anyway, right?