OMFS externship during last week of year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do externship during last week of year? My school only gives 1 week off for X'mas/winter break and I am thinking about of doing externship during that time. My only concern is that most of regular school activity will be closed during that time, so would that affect my externship experience or would they accept externship at all?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to do externship during last week of year? My school only gives 1 week off for X'mas/winter break and I am thinking about of doing externship during that time. My only concern is that most of regular school activity will be closed during that time, so would that affect my externship experience or would they accept externship at all?

Thank you very much!

Hospitals don't close for the holidays.

Thank you very much!
I did a few externships during the holidays. There's a good chance that the clinic will be slower and probably off for the a day or 2 around the holiday(depending on how big a holiday). There is a good chance that the OR schedule will be slow too. Call was usually pretty light.

That being said, your 1 week experience at the program will not be representative of a normal non-holiday week. You probably won't see as many cases. It sounds like you don't have a lot of time off from school so doing an externship during xmas would better than no experience at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your inputs. I think I will do externship during that last week of the year then.
When would be a good time to start apply for externship? (Would 3 months ahead considered appropriate?)

Thank you!

Thank you for your inputs. I think I will do externship during that last week of the year then.
When would be a good time to start apply for externship? (Would 3 months ahead considered appropriate?)

Thank you!
3 months ahead is good. Some programs have a longer waiting list than others.