OMFS Externship/GPR

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by Spirochete, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Spirochete

Spirochete OMFS lover
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OK so i have a got a dilemma going on.....PLEASE HELP ME
    I am currently a senior dental student at Univ Louisville, graduation day is next may. I am now interested in OMFS, however, i kind of missed the boat on extersnhips this summer since i did not do any. I did a general practice externship, did about 1000 extractions, and liked it alot. I know OMFS is not only extractions, however i have just now decided to want to do it.
    Class Rank: 8/80
    GPA: 3.80
    Part I: 96
    MY QUESTION IS: since i am not gona be able to do any exterships, would i still be able to get in if i applied? or should i plan on doing a GPR next year after graduation which would be the mother of all mothers of externships, then apply to OMFS? I feel like with my scores a GPR is a waste of a year.
    What do you think?
    Do you think my scores are ok to get in?
    Please help me!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scalpel2008

scalpel2008 beep beep beep...smash
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    your numbers are good. the only problem is that programs may think you don't know what you are getting into (and you don't; but externships help you see the tip of the iceberg). In my opinion, these are your best options:
    1) apply right away and arrange for an externship between now and interviews (you will get interviews based on your numbers and intent/planned externship) so atleast during your interviews you can say that you "know" what you are getting into. Good LORs are important
    2) Do an externship now and do an OMS internship in 2007-2008 (better than doing a GPR)
    3) Change your syphilitic screen name

4. joyride

joyride Member
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm starting an OMFS externship tomorrow for the next 2 weeks....anyone have any words of wisdom before i go down into the trenches? I've been told I have to report at 6am, so that alone is starting to give the sense that its going to be a rough 2 weeks. Are OMFS residencies that brutal? i can imagine how residents barely have time to eat or wipe their a$$es. My impression is that externships are like the OMFS version of boot camp ?????

_________
    Tufts 08

5. Maxillicious

Maxillicious The Apprentice
    5+ Year Member

Dont have any advice for you, but good luck and keep us posted if you dont mind.

6. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the big picture, 6am is NOT brutal. What's brutal is when it's your day to start at 4:30am to have all the patients seen and notes written before the rest of the team shows up at 6am, which is only every 3-5 days at my program.

7. Dadoh

Dadoh Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think anybody can handle just about anything for two weeks. I am hoping that my externships are brutal. I want all the call, late nights, early mornings, and any hazing that can be dished out during the externship. That way I can know exactly what I am going to get into. Or maybe it will knock some sense into me.

8. scalpel2008

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Then do what i did 6 years ago: live in the call room during your externship. I recall Charity Hospital's 6 bed call room and multiple residents walking in and out all night, not to mention all their pagers. That was home for a month. I was on call Q1.

9. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

Did you and Yah-E bunk together in the same bed?

10. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I remember this exact experience as well especially if your bed was in the first room where the main entrance door was at, when that door opened that hall way light was intense! Ah, the good O days of Charity.... :(

Yes, this is brutal, we did this for awhile last month to get us (interns) in shape! Now that we semi-know how to write notes, we get to sleep in another 15 minutes! :laugh:

Depending on where you go to do your externship. Some externships are very relaxed because that particular program is a "country club" type of program. If you go to Parkland or LSU, then you're externship will be very busy. My advise are to:

1) hang out with the residents as much as possible (lunch, after work, take calls)
    2) take as much calls as possible, the more you take calls, the more you'll learn
    3) don't ask 50 million questions, but DO ask questions when appropriate (after meetings or during social times)
    4) DO introduce yourself to every faculty and resident. When you see a new face in the room, stand up, shake their hands, and introduce yourself (make a point to meet everyone in the residency)
    5) If you're comfortable, do set up an "exit interview" with the residency director at the end of your externship to chat about things
    6) Do formulate and keep track (a log) of everything you've experienced during an externship (type of procedure, resident(s) that helped/taught you, dates). this can come handy during your "exit interview"

Good luck and have fun!

11. scalpel2008

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes, i slept in the room with the main door, not the one with the bathroom. and i distinctly remember that the toilet seat wasn't attached to the toilet. so everytime you had to drop the kids off at the pool you had to be careful or the seat would slide right off. i had a very good time @ charity: late night ice cream rounds at "the fistula" and running across the street to grab some burger king when the caf was closed. i also remember Joe's, the bar down the street, and jaegar's for $1.49/lb crawfish on tuesdays with a bucket of coronas on the deck (the couple of times I didn't take call).

i dont think he was of legal age back when i did my time there

12. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's OK in the Dirty South. If there's grass on the field you can play ball...

13. scalpel2008

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Even Tanner stage II? No wonder its the dirty south.

14. Spirochete

Spirochete OMFS lover
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    CAN WE PLEASE GO BACK TO ANSWERING THE ORIGINAL REASON THIS THREAD WAS OPENED (MY ORIGINIAL QUESTION)? :mad:

15. scalpel2008

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i thought that's why you opened another post ("Too late for OMFS or GPR then OMFS") asking exactly the same question

16. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    With this kind of attitude, you'll first receive no help from SDN and second, your externship will be hell!