OMFS externship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to set up some OMFS externships and, for a bunch of reasons, Penn has made my short-list. According to their website they prefer externs to stay for a month. My time off of clinic is limited so I need to plan strateigically. I'm wondering if its generally a better idea to spread yourself over a couple programs for a shorter amount of time each (for the broader experience and to become known at more programs) or, if would I gain more staying at one program for a longer duration (to give the program a chance to really get to know me and increasing my chances there)? Just curious what other people would do/have done?

Members don't see this ad.

This may be coming too late, but I would recommend doing 2x 2-week externships vs a 1x month externship. I did externships for 1, 2, and 4 weeks when in dental school. I felt one week was too short and 4 weeks was too long. 2x weeks felt good - it was enough time to really sort out the program, get to know some of the residents, get to know the interns well enough for them to spill the beans on what the program is really like. Also, I stayed in the call room in the hospital for 2 weeks which felt like an eternity.

2 weeks is ideal......1 is a waste of time.....4 is overkill