Xigris14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Any info about the fellowship at Pitt with BJ. or at West Virginia with Horswell?

Mainly would appreciate any info about the scope of the fellowship and number of cases and type of cases that the fellow is currently operating.

Please add only info you are sure about.

AGAPE4U

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2007
Pittsburgh
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I can't answer your question, but BJ is an awesome guy. He treats his residents with great respect. I observed him on a soft palate cleft closure and he was just a really good teacher to his resident. I learned a lot from him and owe him a lot of respect.

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
3 years ago the fellow wasn't cutting anything on a cleft lip 6 months into the fellowship. I don't know if it was only that particular fellow or if things have changed.

About the Ads

LSU-Cowboy

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Orleans
Status (Visible)
3 years ago the fellow wasn't cutting anything on a cleft lip 6 months into the fellowship. I don't know if it was only that particular fellow or if things have changed.

I heard the same....and personally know a graduate of his fellowship....very disappointing.... heard plastics runs the craniofacial show at Pitt

Maxmand

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Kevin Smith at Oklahoma has a very busy Cleft Fellowship with a case load that is likely the highest in the US. YTD (July 1,2008-present) cases by the current fellow 73 patients/90 procedures. Smith runs 2 teams, one in Tulsa and one at the OU Health Science Center.

Dr.Millisevert

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Kevin Smith at Oklahoma has a very busy Cleft Fellowship with a case load that is likely the highest in the US. YTD (July 1,2008-present) cases by the current fellow 73 patients/90 procedures. Smith runs 2 teams, one in Tulsa and one at the OU Health Science Center.

I concur.. I would say Oklahoma or WV. Both Smith and Sullivan at OU as well as Horswell at WV all completed their Craniofacial surgery fellowship in Melbourne Australia. :D So they are all very well trained. :thumbup:

Sinchal

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
Correction: I'm Dr. Smith's fellow and YTD I have done cases on 80 patients/142 procedures. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Could you describe the scope and volume of your current experience at OK Fellowship.
Do they have a fellow for next year?

Sinchal

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
I have done:
Cleft Lips
Cleft Palates
Pharyngeal Flaps
Alveolar Cleft Reconstructions with BMP
LeFort III Osteotomies
Maxillary Distraction
Mandibular Distraction
Hemifacial Microsomia Reconstruction
Treacher Collins
Crouzon's
Auricular Implants
Orthognathic surgery
We are part of to cleft teams in OK.
I have participated in two mission to Mexico and planning to do one more before graduation.
My off-service rotations are: Ped ENT, Craniofacial Surgery with Dr. Ramon Ruiz and Ped Surg. All of them are a month each. I have a dentoalveolar practice about 2 half days a week. Dr. Smith is taking me to the ACPA Meeting next year.

The fellowship position for next year hasn't been filled.

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
is it funded/stipend? how much if so?

Count Orlok

Octagonecologyst
10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
do these fellowships (or any for that matter, not just craniofacials) accept only OMS's with an MD or are they equally open to both 4 year and 6 year surgeons? Thanks.

PAJain

10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
From what I've seen and heard, at the present time the Oklahoma and WV fellowships are the strongest in the nation. They provide the most comprehensive craniofacial experience.

Last edited:

OMS2BBAD

2FSniper
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Any info about the fellowship at Pitt with BJ. or at West Virginia with Horswell?

Mainly would appreciate any info about the scope of the fellowship and number of cases and type of cases that the fellow is currently operating.

Please add only info you are sure about.

If you would like to be a "super-chief" resident, then you can go do a fellowship at Pitt! Basically, you'll do research in some lab and help BJ publish! Operate, forget it about! You'll do maybe couple of clefts a year and get yelled at by BJ like you're his kid! You're pretty much like a resident, you'll do rounds in the morning with the team and pretty much just like adding another year to your "being-a-little-b1tch" year.

I agree, BJ is a great teacher WHEN HE WANTS TO BE. The guy can be easily be diagnosed as bipolar. He'll be nice to you one second, then the next he's yelling at you! Half of the time, he'll cut half of the case and the other half, he's literately holding your hands and screaming at you.

BJ lectures and publishes, not a great surgeon!

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
thats what we all hear. Thanks for the input.

Looks like Horswell, Smith best for craniofacial. I like how horswell fellowship also incorporates trauma,cosmetics,oncology. Curious if anyone has actual numbers from that fellowship.

Posnick also good, but hear its lots of ortho surg, not much craniofacial.

LSU-Cowboy

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Orleans
Status (Visible)
If you would like to be a "super-chief" resident, then you can go do a fellowship at Pitt! Basically, you'll do research in some lab and help BJ publish! Operate, forget it about! You'll do maybe couple of clefts a year and get yelled at by BJ like you're his kid! You're pretty much like a resident, you'll do rounds in the morning with the team and pretty much just like adding another year to your "being-a-little-b1tch" year.
I agree, BJ is a great teacher WHEN HE WANTS TO BE. The guy can be easily be diagnosed as bipolar. He'll be nice to you one second, then the next he's yelling at you! Half of the time, he'll cut half of the case and the other half, he's literately holding your hands and screaming at you.

BJ lectures and publishes, not a great surgeon!

Exactly what I heard from a former fellow. It's a shame.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.