OMFS interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larryguy1960

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my 3rd year and I have been gravitating towards an interest in OMFS. I have just reached out to the faculty to express my interest and hopefully get more exposure in the department. The NBME is offered twice a year, correct? Feb and Aug? I think my grades are a little low to expect to get into OMFS right out of school (ranked 23/90). Would a good place to start be forming relationships in the department, doing 2/3 externships next summer, taking the exam and then applying to GPRs/OMFS internships? I dont really know how this works and would appreciate some guidance from some who have done it before! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Speak with students who are in their 3rd or 4th year who are interested in OMFS and get information from them. Essentially, keep your grades up, take the NBME and do your best, continue to form those relationships in OMFS department/faculty.

Dude, 23/90 is perfectly acceptable in getting matched to an OMFS program out of school. Do 3 externships at programs you're interested in, get 65+ on the NBME, get decent LORs, apply to ~20 programs, and don't come off as a douche on your interviews. Just focus on studying hard for the NBME.