Jun 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
I just started my 3rd year and I have been gravitating towards an interest in OMFS. I have just reached out to the faculty to express my interest and hopefully get more exposure in the department. The NBME is offered twice a year, correct? Feb and Aug? I think my grades are a little low to expect to get into OMFS right out of school (ranked 23/90). Would a good place to start be forming relationships in the department, doing 2/3 externships next summer, taking the exam and then applying to GPRs/OMFS internships? I dont really know how this works and would appreciate some guidance from some who have done it before! Thanks

avangusva

7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2010
Status
Speak with students who are in their 3rd or 4th year who are interested in OMFS and get information from them. Essentially, keep your grades up, take the NBME and do your best, continue to form those relationships in OMFS department/faculty.

OMS MRSAnary

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dude, 23/90 is perfectly acceptable in getting matched to an OMFS program out of school. Do 3 externships at programs you're interested in, get 65+ on the NBME, get decent LORs, apply to ~20 programs, and don't come off as a douche on your interviews. Just focus on studying hard for the NBME.