Mar 24, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey all,

Im currently a D2 student with really low class rank ( 50% percentile). I don't have any crazy extracurricular activities, just have been working on one research project. Because I am aware of my super low class rank, I am almost certain that I will have to take a gap year and apply for an OMFS internship to make up for it. My question is, when will it be the best time to apply for OMFS internships? End of 3rd year? And even with decent CBSE scores and OMFS internships, will I have a chance for OMFS with 50% class rank? Thank you.

Ivy.ch

2+ Year Member
May 6, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Some programs select non-categorical interns in the fall/winter before enrollment (so your Fall/Winter of D4), but most will not select until after Match Day in January. So you would apply in January of D4.

If you have a good CBSE and an intern year (or two or three), you'll be fine if you apply very broadly. You need a decent CBSE score.

Dec 6, 2020
Some programs select non-categorical interns in the fall/winter before enrollment (so your Fall/Winter of D4), but most will not select until after Match Day in January. So you would apply in January of D4.

If you have a good CBSE and an intern year (or two or three), you'll be fine if you apply very broadly. You need a decent CBSE score.
Yea, with that rank, may take up to 2 intern years. High CBSE will also be a requirement with that rank.

About the Ads

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2011
Washington
Just like all things in life its not a clear cut yes or no. You are still a D2 and have D3 to really pull that rank up. Study hard and rock out the CBSE and you have a much higher chance. Even then, if you get some good letters, that would help. Go on externships (if you can during covid) and really become interested in OMFS at your home program if they have one. Also, it will depend a lot on what you say when you are asked about your class rank during interviews - if you have a good answer for them, it will become less of an issue. For example, if you tell them that your class rank isn't high because you were very devoted to your research project and just poured 110% of yourself into it, but then realized that this was taking too much of a toll on your class performance so then you changed gears and focused on grades in D3 (assuming you pull up your D3 rank) then that might be seen favorably.

All said and done, don't worry so much about "if", just work your ass off and get the best rank/CBSE you can and make it happen for yourself. This may or may not include an intern year, but if its what you want, then an intern year will be a great way to learn more about what it actually means to be an OMFS resident (because, lets face it, dental students really can't comprehend what its like to be a resident) haha.

Reactions: 1 user

ElCubanito

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
If you like OS, I would just do the internship after you graduate from dental school. Learn how to pull 3rds like no ones business then go into private practice....no one cares if you are a surgeon or not, just that you know how to do the procedures and are able to do sedation. Sounds like a better deal to me! Ain't nobody got time to do 6 yrs and go further into debt!

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

DavesNotHere

7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2011
East Coast
If you like OS, I would just do the internship after you graduate from dental school. Learn how to pull 3rds like no ones business then go into private practice....no one cares if you are a surgeon or not, just that you know how to do the procedures and are able to do sedation. Sounds like a better deal to me! Ain't nobody got time to do 6 yrs and go further into debt!

Every sentence in this response was the opposite of sound advice.

Reactions: 3 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads