OMFS Internship Opportunity Opening!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSGoat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am one of the interns in the OMFS department at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. I would like to first congratulate one of my fellow interns on being offered and accepting a position in a full length training program with a recent vacancy. We are disappointed to see him go, but we are also very proud of his achievement. This, however, leaves us in a rather interesting situation, being that we now have a position available.

The internship position at JPS is a fantastic opportunity. We operate the full scope of practice. Experience will be gained through both inpatient management in a hospital setting, as well as managing patients in a very busy outpatient clinic. Clinic time is structured with two days dedicated to IV sedation, one half day dedicated to Facial pain and management of TMJ pathosis, and one half day to head/neck lesions and cancer. The OMFS service is exclusively responsible for facial trauma at the hospital, and JPS is a Level I trauma center serving Tarrant County and surrounding areas. There is a significant opportunity the learn about diagnosis, work-up, surgical treatment, and follow-up of facial trauma and infections. Head/neck cancer management includes initial diagnosis, work-up, treatment, and follow-up of cancer patients, including interdisciplinary coordination with other services. We also gain experience in vascular free-flap reconstruction for various types of pathoses in soft tissue and hard tissue defects. We have a busy Operative service, treating cases almost 5 days per week. Orthognathic conferences are a very high yield experience in the diagnosis and work-up of comphrensive treatment plans of patient with various dento-facial deformities.

The environment at JPS is fantastic, with the staff of the hospital and the faculty in the OMFS department treating all of us very well. All of the faculty emphasize the fostering of knowledge in a collegial fashion, with years of training and practice, and varieties in experiences. Upper level residents from UT Southwestern/Parkland rotate with us, further allow us to gain knowledge from their training.

All that being said the internship has a very high learning curve, with long tough hours. It is amazing the amount of knowledge I've gained in the short time I've been here, but I can tell you that it's worth every second. We have a good group of guys, which makes it easy to come in every day. Historically JPS interns have done very well with matching into residency programs, so programs across the country know the quality of intern you will become after your time here. For more information please visit: http://www.jpshealthnet.org/for_medical_professionals/residency_programs/oral_and_maxillofacial_surgery

If you have any questions please contact me at [email protected]
Applicants please send CV/NBDE scores/NBME CBSE scores/2 Letters of references, 2x2 photo, and any other pertinent information to the Residency coordinator, Ms. Holly Portwood at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.