OMFS-Non women friendly programs

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by AZ12345, 09.27.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. AZ12345

AZ12345

Dental Student
    Just wondering what programs would be a waste of time to for me to extern/apply

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sublimazing

Sublimazing 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Verified
    Dentist
    avoid the 6 year at the YMCA...those guys want nothing to do with women...here's their PGY1 composite photo...such chauvinists
    The Village People.jpg
    they only accept macho men with cbse over 70...to be fair tho, they have ever-y-thing for young men to enjoy

4. AZ12345

AZ12345

Dental Student
    Im wondering about UT-SA, Baylor, and some of the other Texas school in particular.

5. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    well... programs will probably overlook stellar board scores, a strong cv, impressive grades, sincere letters of rec, externships, and publications all because you checked F instead of M.

Maybe cross dress for the interview?

6. ballztowallzomfs

ballztowallzomfs 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Parkland , I am avoiding it. It has history of not liking women. However, I hear that now the are more accepting. All of the others have women there, so you should be fine.

AZ12345 likes this.
  7. AZ12345

AZ12345

Dental Student
    "Unless that program has had another girl (notice I say girl, not woman) who played the whiney "but I'm a girl" card for 4-6 years and took two months of for her engagement party and another 3 months to get married and then had 4 kids during residency and ended up burning the program so bad that all future women applying have an uphill battle... which is completely out of your control. "

Yeah----nice summary. That's what I'm worried about because it happens . I like your optimism, but its naive to believe being a woman in a male dominated field won't negatively impact your chance of admissions at some programs. Just wait til you interview and get bombarded with the "illegal" questions, or see the round about ways they ask questions to figure out if you want to have kids, or if you already have them.

I'm just trying to be prepared, and make smart decisions when I apply/extern.

8. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    yeah i was never that woman who wanted to have kids... I could never do pedo because I like to keep my hearing intact... and if by the off chance I reproduce it will be years out from residency/med school and if I had the resources (i.e. a stay at home spouse, a team of maids and nannies, and bored parents/inlaws who want to raise their grandchildren) I'd probably adopt cause the world has enough people and if they really wanted me to up my evolutionary fitness, I'd suck it up and pop one or two genetically endowed beings out... but then again in a previous residency I got to work alongside an amazing hand surgeon. She was an established attending, in her late 30s/early 40s getting married and having her kids... She worked 12 hour long cases wearing two lead aprons to get through the cases. It can be done.

and yes, get your PhD (player hating degree) because some people may ask you "illegal" questions but they may not want to invest training you if you bail as some people have ruined it for us. but i think that is less and less... the class after me in dental school had at least 6 women go into OMFS (that I know of.)

beannaithe likes this.
  9. sgv

sgv ...crumbling 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good God woman, are you a sea turtle?

avangusva likes this.
  10. ballztowallzomfs

Dental Student
    Some women are insane.

It is ridiculous for programs to discriminate against women if they want to have kids. If you get asked illegal questions, just lie to the program directors. They shouldn't even be asking you those questions to begin with.

11. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    Not a sea turtle. Just young enough not to be baby crazy and fortunate enough to have grand and great grand parents on both sides who safely had kids in their 40s. It's a personal choice and for me I feel like time and genetics are on my side. But bringing another human being into the world is one of the biggest responsibilities one can undertake and it may not be for me. Whether you are male or female I think both the father and mother have huge duties to their family so maybe everyone involved should be asked of they want to have kids or not. I already have a baby, it's called my career. I love it very much and I'd gladly put everything else on hold for another half decade and put myself in a position intellectually, professionally, and financially where I have the career fulfillment and stability to do all that family stuff if in my 20s, 30s, 40s or if at all. It's unfortunate that dental school for some is a race to pair bond and get their "mrs" instead of their "dmd/dds" but hey to each their own. We are all entitled to meaningful lives whether that attachment is to family or profession or both.

Also what's the secret to owning a Porsche/R8/toy of choice ? No kids!

12. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    Ballz, kindly clarify, which women are insane? Is ambition and commitment to one's goals and a realistic understanding that career fulfillment may come at an opportunity cost of compromised family life (and vice versa) a diagnostic indicator of insanity? I must not have the most current version of the DSM but of course if in your psychological expertise which may be at most a bachelors degree in psych, please do enlighten us.

Bottom line is programs look at you, not just the gender but the whole application. Do you come off as a flake? Or is your CV do solid that anyone in their "right mind"(I know, I'm not psych expert but I'm using the term colloquially ) would be embarrassed to ask you about such things BC you have demonstrated a track record of rocking at everything you do?

I think the litmus test will be if one orders a pumpkin spice latte at an interview. Any mention of perfectly instagrammed pumpkin spice latte is a huge red flag. One may as well show up in uggs with a copy of the notebook in her bag and ask if it's "ok" to take a selfie and tweet that she's going in for an interview in hopes that she'll bond with her "corezzies." And don't forget a scented pink CV.

The thought of such basic-ness necessitates some ondansetron.

Last edited: 09.27.14
  13. ballztowallzomfs

Dental Student
    Narcissistic

Enjoy the pumpkin spice lattes, bitch

14. sgv

Dental Student
    It sounds like you want to return your woman card in exchange for a machismo card. At first, it sounds real f'd up if you have to resist and fake an innately feminine side for a chance at OMFS. Like if I were to be infatuated with the fashion design industry, I don't know how far I'd go in terms of wearing tight jeans, spending more than five minutes on an outfit, and getting pedicures just to "fit in". But really, don't we all first pretend to be something that we aren't but want to be? Should we choose our profession based on who we are or should we choose who we become based on our chosen profession? Some people have boundaries for what they're willing to give up and to many that sounds like too much of a repression on your dominant testosterone or estrogen level and maybe too much of a sacrifice on your soul. Now if you've always identified with the opposite gender role, the previous four sentences are pointless.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 09.27.14
  15. sgv

Dental Student
    Oh, so this is why there's no chicks...

16. AZ12345

AZ12345

Dental Student
    Maybe less deep thoughts and get back to superficial board discussion. This thread took a turn towards crazy

Last edited: 09.28.14
  17. Spaceman Spif

Spaceman Spif 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about a female's inclination about kids. PD's have to think about their program and whether an applicant can handle the demands and rigors, be reliable, and EXCEL. Motherhood can cause huge lapses in attendance that affect everyone in the program and can cause internal discord. I want to know my co-resident will be around to cover a page if I'm getting slammed with four calls simultaneously. I don't want to hesitate to depend on someone because she has a newborn at home and can't make it out to work. It's not discriminatory - it's a concern with a tangible, real foundation.

treesandsteeps likes this.
  18. sgv

Dental Student
    It's still illegal.

19. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    Ballz, is that all you could come up with? Very classy.

20. treesandsteeps

treesandsteeps

Dentist
    I think you are way off base here. I know what I want and my credentials are strong. But if by some disaster I don't match I would take a spot in the most "malignant" program in a heartbeat.

21. AU07DMD

AU07DMD 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are a lot of "illegal" questions that get thrown out during interviews and "illegal" (as defined by the MATCH) activity/contact that occurs before, during, and after interviews (but before rank lists are due). It's cut throat. Better get used to it.

Btw, they also ask male applicants if they are married, if so what their spouse does for a living, if they have children/ planning to have them. It's all in an effort to see if they are getting someone who will be committed to their program or someone who will constantly be pulled in other directions.

treesandsteeps likes this.
  22. senpai

senpai 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are several programs that attempt to maintain a purely "alpha male" reputation. There are even several programs that have a tradition of taking their applicants (both male and female) to strip clubs on the night of the interview (i.e. Parkland, LSU, etc.). Totally unprofessional and shameful, and a bad reflection on the individual programs and our specialty as a whole.

About the ads