OMFS "official" Match page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to start a page about the OMFS match count down but from the "other" (dark) side of the match.

I am soo nervous and excited about Jan 30. I mean, who is the new fresh meat/slave gonna be and does he/she shine shoes really well? Oh gosh, I am so nervous, I wonder how fast they'll be able to take 15 nights (three weekends) of primary call all on their own each month? It is so nerve racking. Who is going to be getting up at 4 in the morning 27 days a month to write notes? I wonder if they'll have a really good alarm clock with a reliable battery powered back up? I am sooo excited, I can't contain myself....isn't it neat how those of us on this side of the match are just as excited as the guys on the otherside? I think that is what makes it soo...hmmm....SPECIAL, thats right, a SPECIAL occasion, like a... a.... blind date! Yeah, a blind date.....I just hope they are good looking (wait scratch that), I hope they are as strong as a pack mule that works in the Grand Canyon.....I think we will have a party here, welcoming our next uh, victim (scratch that) I mean member of the "team".... :) :) :) :) I already have my top 10 list. I hope we match one of our top choices, oh who cares, I just want to match one....

Members don't see this ad.

As a gift to everyone involved in the application process this year, I here by present you the 2006 Pre-Match stats that I gathered directly from the Postdoctoral Dental Match Program's website. I had to put together every OMFS program's info from the ranking directory and analyzed the data.

2006 OMFS Residency statistics (not include U.S. Armed Force Residencies)

Total U.S. OMFS residency programs participating in Match: 103
• Dental School affiliated programs: 48
• Hospital and/or University affiliated programs: 55​

Total available OMFS Match PGY-1 spots: 190
Total double-degree (Medical Doctorate) integrated spots: 87
• 6-year spots: 83
• 5-year spots: 4​

Total 4-year Certificate spots: 103
- of which 24 are M.D. Option spots​
11 Residencies offer both 6-year and 4-year spots:
1. Loma Linda ------------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
2. USC/LAC --------------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
3. UF Jacksonville --------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
4. Emory ----------------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 2 spots)
5. Univ. Med & Dent of New Jersey ----(6 yr – 1 spot, 4 yr – 1 spot)
6. Long Island Jewish Medical Center --(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
7. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital-(6 yr – 1 spot, 4 yr – 1 spot)
8. University of North Carolina ---------(6 yr – 1 spot, 4 yr – 1 spot)
9. Vanderbilt -------------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
10. Baylor ----------------------------(6 yr – 2 spots, 4 yr – 1 spot)
11. Houston --------------------------(6 yr – 3 spots, 4 yr – 2 spots)

It looks like the total number of OMFS spots are on the rise again based on the last three years' data:

2001 - 199 total
2004 - 176 total
2005 - 180 total
2006 - 190 total

Wonder how many people applied to OMFS this year, I guess we'll have to wait after Match to find out the stats.

esclavo said:
I decided to start a page about the OMFS match count down but from the "other" (dark) side of the match.

I am soo nervous and excited about Jan 30. I mean, who is the new fresh meat/slave gonna be and does he/she shine shoes really well? Oh gosh, I am so nervous, I wonder how fast they'll be able to take 15 nights (three weekends) of primary call all on their own each month? It is so nerve racking. Who is going to be getting up at 4 in the morning 27 days a month to write notes? I wonder if they'll have a really good alarm clock with a reliable battery powered back up? I am sooo excited, I can't contain myself....isn't it neat how those of us on this side of the match are just as excited as the guys on the otherside? I think that is what makes it soo...hmmm....SPECIAL, thats right, a SPECIAL occasion, like a... a.... blind date! Yeah, a blind date.....I just hope they are good looking (wait scratch that), I hope they are as strong as a pack mule that works in the Grand Canyon.....I think we will have a party here, welcoming our next uh, victim (scratch that) I mean member of the "team".... :) :) :) :) I already have my top 10 list. I hope we match one of our top choices, oh who cares, I just want to match one....

Gosh, :eek: you sound like a psycho serial killer prepping for another 'kill.' SCARY! :scared:
Wanna tell me where you are so i know NOT to apply there IF I decide to go the 'OMFS way.' Not that you'd still be there when I'm ready but you may have 'infected' those around you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
duh? said:
Gosh, :eek: you sound like a psycho serial killer prepping for another 'kill.' SCARY! :scared:
Wanna tell me where you are so i know NOT to apply there IF I decide to go the 'OMFS way.' Not that you'd still be there when I'm ready but you may have 'infected' those around you. :laugh:

I am actually: extremely kind (I always have a pack of tissue in my coat pocket for those moments that I make the intern cry), nurturing (I believe in work related learning experiences-nothing artificial or theoretical), humane (I let the intern get himself something to eat when he goes to the cafeteria to get me something to eat), fraternal (when I invite the intern to my house for dinner, I let him sit at the table (albeit in a short chair with a cork on his fork and an eye patch) with myself and my wife and not at the little kid table with my ankle biters (but he has to do the dishes and bring my wife flowers), empathetic (when the intern has so much stuff to do that he can't go home, I let him take the call room key-so that after he's done he can clean up the call room), humorous (when life is really bad-I use my "unique" sense of finding the humor in life to brighten someone's day-even if it is only my day), and finally a good example (I was a model intern, spoiling my upper residents, by saying "yes sir" when they berated me or "thank you" when they made me work Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Spring Break, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, the day and night-the next day and night when my son was born all during my intern year). Why wouldn't you want to come here and be an intern, I don't understand why? We are like a country club program compared to most.... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

esclavo said:
I am actually: extremely kind (I always have a pack of tissue in my coat pocket for those moments that I make the intern cry), nurturing (I believe in work related learning experiences-nothing artificial or theoretical), humane (I let the intern get himself something to eat when he goes to the cafeteria to get me something to eat), fraternal (when I invite the intern to my house for dinner, I let him sit at the table (albeit in a short chair with a cork on his fork and an eye patch) with myself and my wife and not at the little kid table with my ankle biters (but he has to do the dishes and bring my wife flowers), empathetic (when the intern has so much stuff to do that he can't go home, I let him take the call room key-so that after he's done he can clean up the call room), humorous (when life is really bad-I use my "unique" sense of finding the humor in life to brighten someone's day-even if it is only my day), and finally a good example (I was a model intern, spoiling my upper residents, by saying "yes sir" when they berated me or "thank you" when they made me work Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Spring Break, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, the day and night-the next day and night when my son was born all during my intern year). Why wouldn't you want to come here and be an intern, I don't understand why? We are like a country club program compared to most.... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

LOL! :laugh: :scared: :scared: I'll be on the look out for you! *she says as she furtively scans her room*

duh? said:
LOL! :laugh: :scared: :scared: I'll be on the look out for you! *she says as she furtively scans her room*

As a Christmas present, I gave the intern a voodoo doll of me. He quickly broke its legs, poked its eyes out and smashed its hands. I said, what did you do that for? He said that he needed a rest and as long as my legs, eyes or hands still functioned, that I'd be able to work him more....isn't that mean? After all the tissue I've given him! He better be bringing his own tissue to wipe his tears from now on!

esclavo said:
As a Christmas present, I gave the intern a voodoo doll of me. He quickly broke its legs, poked its eyes out and smashed its hands. I said, what did you do that for? He said that he needed a rest and as long as my legs, eyes or hands still functioned, that I'd be able to work him more....isn't that mean? After all the tissue I've given him! He better be bringing his own tissue to wipe his tears from now on!

I've been so damn busy, i've been away from the computer to see the crap Esclavo has been preaching about his "Iron Fist" rule over the residency.

Its not so bad. We just let him think he's all bad and powerful. Don't forget, he's just a pudgy little mexican on a donkey. But yah, a little vengence on the voodoo doll was fun. So is the bag of flaming dog crap that will mysteriously appear at his door-step tonight. :laugh:

Bifid Uvula said:
I've been so damn busy, i've been away from the computer to see the crap Esclavo has been preaching about his "Iron Fist" rule over the residency.

Its not so bad. We just let him think he's all bad and powerful. Don't forget, he's just a pudgy little mexican on a donkey. But yah, a little vengence on the voodoo doll was fun. So is the bag of flaming dog crap that will mysteriously appear at his door-step tonight. :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: ohmigosh! that was funny. :laugh:

Bifid Uvula said:

One of Uvula's responsibilities is cleaning the doggie doo off my lawn (part of his intern responsibilities), I see him stare off into space... now I know what he is thinking about. Thank goodness his intern responsibilities also entail stamping out bags of flaming dog poo on my porch (which is probably why he hasn't pressed forward in boobie trapping my front door)....I must say his ironing skills have been getting better... my shirts are actually looking pretty crisp lately. I do feel bad for Uvula though, I've told esclavo Jr. to stop making him cry when he comes to mow the lawn and clean the doggie doo off the lawn... I do have a soft spot in my heart for poor helpless critters. Something about Uvula is very similar to this poor little turtle that was upside down on the road the other day. I just had to stop and flip him bag over....I know, I'm a softie...I got a big heart... I like to stick up for the underdog or the personally challenged ;)

esclavo said:
As a Christmas present, I gave the intern a voodoo doll of me. He quickly broke its legs, poked its eyes out and smashed its hands....
So can you operate better now? :eek:

toofache32 said:
So can you operate better now? :eek:

Better or worse- who knows. But as long as my hands are working, cutting, sewing, Uvula has to work his little hind end off rounding, discharging, fielding calls from the floor. Uvula is the slave and my hands are the master.... he stares at them sometimes and I know he'd like to take a hammer to them...

esclavo said:
Better or worse- who knows. But as long as my hands are working, cutting, sewing, Uvula has to work his little hind end off rounding, discharging, fielding calls from the floor. Uvula is the slave and my hands are the master.... he stares at them sometimes and I know he'd like to take a hammer to them...

That's it! I'm calling immigration! hahahahahahaha :smuggrin:

Bifid Uvula said:
That's it! I'm calling immigration! hahahahahahaha :smuggrin:

For me or for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some honest advice to those who are about to match into OMFs. Use these last 5 months to get all your crap in order. Finish your dental requirements for graduation as fast as possible. Get your boards taken as fast as possible and get applying for licensure ASAP. Have all of that crap in order so that the second they give you the diploma you can take care of licensure. Don't wait around till the last minute. Trust me, when you start that residency, you won't have time to eat, let alone apply for licensure and chase paperwork all over the place. Focus on dental school and get it off of your back. You'll get to do tons of OMFS for the rest of your life. Don't be one of those that has to sweat after graduation to get everything done and come into a residency with a bunch of loose ends. Then spend as much time with those you love. Cause you aren't going to get to see mama, daddy, brother, sister, wife, kids a whole lot for a couple of years....Fill up the tank get moved in and get your mountaineering geer ready... it's a steep climb starting July 1.

If you don't match and you have a board scores 90 or above then get yourself a contract for an internship quickly. If you could improve something (like your board scores-you have a score less than 90- start studying immediately and retake it before you start an internship). It will suck but if you don't want to waste your life away do it!!! Otherwise you will do a whole internship year and still have similar feelings/chances as this year. I see alot of guys with low board scores and they think that an internship will save them (back door theory-doesn't work alot). It won't. If you want better security, retake boards! Do an internship and then you will feel like you have a better opportunity. What happens if next year the class is even more competitive? You'll be frusterated that you still will have few interviews and still be a huge risk not to match... that stinks big time. Be a man (or woman) and sign up for boards the second you know you won't have an OMFS residency spot and get that taken before you show up. Taking part one boards again will be much harder in residency than dental school. You will start applying for residency right when you start your internship. Not much will change on your application except you'll be able to put your internship down. If you have a low board score RETAKE IT! You need to show them you aren't an 85 or a 83 or a 79. Go get your 90 (or higher) and you will have a much less torturous internship year... also, start developing a way to get some academic OMFS people to write your letters of recommendations. The start of next years OMFS application is less than 6 months away.

esclavo said:
Here is some honest advice to those who are about to match into OMFs. Use these last 5 months to get all your crap in order. Finish your dental requirements for graduation as fast as possible. Get your boards taken as fast as possible and get applying for licensure ASAP. Have all of that crap in order so that the second they give you the diploma you can take care of licensure. Don't wait around till the last minute. Trust me, when you start that residency, you won't have time to eat, let alone apply for licensure and chase paperwork all over the place. Focus on dental school and get it off of your back. You'll get to do tons of OMFS for the rest of your life. Don't be one of those that has to sweat after graduation to get everything done and come into a residency with a bunch of loose ends. Then spend as much time with those you love. Cause you aren't going to get to see mama, daddy, brother, sister, wife, kids a whole lot for a couple of years....Fill up the tank get moved in and get your mountaineering geer ready... it's a steep climb starting July 1.

If you don't match and you have a board scores 90 or above then get yourself a contract for an internship quickly. If you could improve something (like your board scores-you have a score less than 90- start studying immediately and retake it before you start an internship). It will suck but if you don't want to waste your life away do it!!! Otherwise you will do a whole internship year and still have similar feelings/chances as this year. I see alot of guys with low board scores and they think that an internship will save them (back door theory-doesn't work alot). It won't. If you want better security, retake boards! Do an internship and then you will feel like you have a better opportunity. What happens if next year the class is even more competitive? You'll be frusterated that you still will have few interviews and still be a huge risk not to match... that stinks big time. Be a man (or woman) and sign up for boards the second you know you won't have an OMFS residency spot and get that taken before you show up. Taking part one boards again will be much harder in residency than dental school. You will start applying for residency right when you start your internship. Not much will change on your application except you'll be able to put your internship down. If you have a low board score RETAKE IT! You need to show them you aren't an 85 or a 83 or a 79. Go get your 90 (or higher) and you will have a much less torturous internship year... also, start developing a way to get some academic OMFS people to write your letters of recommendations. The start of next years OMFS application is less than 6 months away.

It's nice to finally see an actual normal post by you, Esclavo. Bravo! Bravo! Thanks for the advice.

I would also suggest that if you think you may not match, go ahead and have some packets ready to fax to programs if you want to do a 1-year internship. These can also be used to scramble. On Match Day things move quick and vacancies disappear quick, so be prepared.

When programs look at board scores do they look at the average score or individuals sections? If you have less than 90 on say anatomy and averaged 90 or better would that effect you match chances?

jg68 said:
When programs look at board scores do they look at the average score or individuals sections? If you have less than 90 on say anatomy and averaged 90 or better would that effect you match chances?

In my experience the only time we look at a board score by individual sections is if it is an 89. Then if you had like a 85 on dental anatomy and did 90 on the rest that would be positive. But if you had an 89 and you got a 99 on dental anatomy and 84 on anatomy, I would view this negatively. If you got a 90, my experience is that no body really dissects that unless they are trying to find a deciding factor between two people (either for an interview or in ranking). Of all the sections, dental anatomy is the most meaningless to me. If you have a 90, I'd sit tight and enhance your application in other meaningful ways- externship, academic OMFS LOR, OMFS research....

Yah-E said:
According to the ADA statistics, back in 2001 there were 7,540 applications to OMFS programs. Back then, there were 199 spots. Wow!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-3/687618/adastats.jpg

Source:

Mouth, Journal of the ASDA
Winter 2003, Volume 23, Number 4

It sounds harder than it is. If you eliminate all the 50% class ranked guys, people with an 83 on boards and eliminated all the guys with letters of recommendation from periodontist, pedodontists, and the guy that put 7 implants in your mother and kicked out those who applied to OMFs without doing an externship... you probably have about 350-600 solid applicants....

Have you try to explain the matching process to others (girls or guys) and they come back and say, "oh yeah, it's just like rushing sorority houses, like pref night!" Don't know how many of you are Greek (joined a fraternity back in undergrad), but after some thinking, dental match is exactly like "rushing a sorority house" and their "pref night"! :laugh:

Anyone else have heard this?

esclavo said:
It sounds harder than it is. If you eliminate all the 50% class ranked guys, people with an 83 on boards and eliminated all the guys with letters of recommendation from periodontist, pedodontists, and the guy that put 7 implants in your mother and kicked out those who applied to OMFs without doing an externship... you probably have about 350-600 solid applicants....
That sounds about right. There are always those applicants who apply because "you never know" and when you look at their numbers it's like 'what are you thinking?'

Yah-E said:
Have you try to explain the matching process to others (girls or guys) and they come back and say, "oh yeah, it's just like rushing sorority houses, like pref night!" Don't know how many of you are Greek (joined a fraternity back in undergrad), but after some thinking, dental match is exactly like "rushing a sorority house" and their "pref night"! :laugh:

Anyone else have heard this?
I've, like, heard this before, like, when explaining how to, like, rush a residency. So, like, who's making the T-shirts?

toofache32 said:
I've, like, heard this before, like, when explaining how to, like, rush a residency. So, like, who's making the T-shirts?

:laugh: Awe sh1t, this is too funny! :laugh:

Oh mah God....this is, like, soooo kewl. Can we have, like, a mixer?

toofache32 said:
Oh mah God....this is, like, soooo kewl. Can we have, like, a mixer?
Does this mean I should have worn black pants with a black peacoat to my interviews???? :confused: :confused:

We are approaching what I like to call the "eternal week". There are a lot of H.pylori making some serious ground this week. I've heard that there is always at least one prospective resident every year that dies from a GI bleed...perforating ulcer....if anyone is endanger, let me know. I've got some left over pepcid, omeprazole, tumms, valium from my experience... I could ship it to you.....

esclavo said:
We are approaching what I like to call the "eternal week". There are a lot of H.pylori making some serious ground this week. I've heard that there is always at least one prospective resident every year that dies from a GI bleed...perforating ulcer....if anyone is endanger, let me know. I've got some left over pepcid, omeprazole, tumms, valium from my experience... I could ship it to you.....

May I please have a prescription for insomnia!

I find the matching process exactly like fraternity/sorority rush. My friends from college keep asking when "bid day" is.

morgantaylor said:
I find the matching process exactly like fraternity/sorority rush. My friends from college keep asking when "bid day" is.

Dude, I just said this last week and then Toofache took over and pretended that he was a sorority girl! :laugh:

We're down to single digits in days remaining! Very exciting or nerve wracking, however you feel it! :thumbup:

esclavo said:
...I've got some left over pepcid, omeprazole, tumms, valium from my experience... I could ship it to you.....
If you've got Vicodin then we'll talk...

morgantaylor said:
Only when you get a bid to a fraternity, there's only roughly 2-3 months of hazing. There's a big difference between 2-3 months of hazing and 4-6 years of hazing :scared: :scared: :eek: :eek: . As long as my residency doesn't involve jumper cable night, I think I may make it after all :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

9 more days until sentencing...

TiggerJSA said:
...As long as my residency doesn't involve jumper cable night, I think I may make it after all...
But, apparently, there's "Donkey Night" as Esclavo's program, according to his picture here...

GatorDMD said:
Sorry to bug everyone again but so it it 9 AM or 12 NOON when the infamous email is sent on the 30th?
Thanks. :eek:

ZMC DMD said:
GatorDMD said:
Sorry to bug everyone again but so it it 9 AM or 12 NOON when the infamous email is sent on the 30th?
Thanks. :eek:
I think the email is sent around 9 am, but the results are posted on the website at noon... Gosh, I hope this incontinence goes away after Match :eek:

168 hours until sentencing....

esclavo said:
168 hours until sentencing....

What a coincidence...that's the same as the number of hrs. you spend on here every week :p

Yah, my email was already in when i woke up around 7:00-7:30 am. I probably would have been up earlier hitting the refresh button on my email about a thousand times a second but i didn't think it would be there until around noon. So it was a nice surprise.

waiting said:
What a coincidence...that's the same as the number of hrs. you spend on here every week :p

So are you the time cop? Is my wife hiring you to monitor my SDN activity? I limit myself to a 1/2 hour average per day-self imposed. Not bad considering this is my one source of diversion. But when your mind is naturally as demented as mind, it works 24-7 and I type fast :) ;)

When I woke up at 5:15AM, it was already in my email. Of course I was in the west coast visiting my girlie..... :smuggrin:

north2southOMFS said:
Yah, my email was already in when i woke up around 7:00-7:30 am. I probably would have been up earlier hitting the refresh button on my email about a thousand times a second but i didn't think it would be there until around noon. So it was a nice surprise.

You mean when you woke up at 10:45-11:30 am

I'm not getting up until 6:00 AM PST.

Esclavo, Toofache, Txoms: Can I just give you my Hotmail.com username and password so you guys can check it for me next Monday?

Username: OMFSwannabe
Password: iwontmatch

Thanks!

toofache32 said:
But, apparently, there's "Donkey Night" as Esclavo's program, according to his picture here...

what's that, something about a donkey show? ahh TJ. *sigh*

esclavo said:

7:15 is early. Do all the match people get their results then or just the oMFS.

esclavo said:

Ok fine, your right. I got up at 11:00. You see i was up late the night before drinking too much tequila with a short guy in a hat who wouldn't get off his donkey.

pedrosanchez.jpg

north2southOMFS said:
Ok fine, your right. I got up at 11:00. You see i was up late the night before drinking too much tequila with a short guy in a hat who wouldn't get off his donkey.

Thats right, we did share the same special day didn't we... nice picture (check out that rugged handsome hombre-I do see some resemblance)! You have to admit it was a fine looking donkey.... chicks dig my donkey... makes my heart swell with pride....