OMFS Program Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the stats of your program per year:
Mandibles:
ORIF of Mandibles:
ZMCs:
Orthognathics:
Distraction:
BSSO:
IVRO:
Pathology:
Nerve Repairs:
Thirds:
Implants:
Sinus Lifts:
Rhinos:
Blephs:
Genios:
Rhytidectomies:
Infections/Abcesses:
Call Schedule:
# of years of Med School:
# of part-time attendings:
# of full-time attendings:
# of residents:
# of hours:
Dental Schools of Residents:
What residents go onto do after residency:
Expenses/Salary:

If you can answer as many of these as possible that would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm making my best guess here. This is what I've seen so far at UCLA. We have 3 main hospitals we rotate at: UCLA, Kaiser, Harbor-UCLA. UCLA is orthognathics, implants, 3rds, tumors and cysts, and very little trauma and infections. Kaiser is a lot of orthognathic. Harbor-UCLA is trauma and infections. We do 6 months total at Harbor and 6 months total at Kaiser. The rest of the time is at UCLA. I really like this setup because you get a good amount of time in the county hospital setting, but the bulk of the time is spent in a non-county hospital.

Mandibles: a fair number at Harbor-UCLA. Probably 3-4 per week. Most are closed in clinic with MMF because we'd rather not use OR time on mandible fractures.
ORIF of Mandibles: About 1-2 per week at Harbor-UCLA.
ZMCs: A few at Harbor-UCLA. I'd guess 1-2 per month.
Orthognathics: Probably about 3 per week on average at UCLA.
Distraction: I'd guess a dozen or so per year. It's super expensive so not a lot of people are interested in doing this for implants. We have had some cases this year that were hemifacial microsomia patients who got mandibular distractors. That was neat.
BSSO: Most of the mandibular osteotomies are BSSOs.
IVRO: Haven't seen one yet.
Pathology: I'm guessing an average of 3 per week. All 'benign'. OKCs, amelos, and the rarer oddities...
Nerve Repairs: Our chair is one of the regional experts at nerve repairs. Not sure how often they happen. I'd guess under 10 per year.
Thirds: About 8-10 cases per intern per week at UCLA. Almost all are IV seds. The chiefs do their GA wizzies on Fridays.
Implants: I'd wager between 150-200 per chief resident.
Sinus Lifts: Not sure. Whenever they're necessary, they're done.
Rhinos: 0
Blephs: 0
Genios: We do a fair number of 'triple jaws' (lefort 1, bsso, genio). I'd guess about 30 per year.
Rhytidectomies: 0
Infections/Abcesses: About 4-5 per week at Harbor-UCLA. Less common at UCLA.
Call Schedule: At UCLA it is 1-2 weeks straight rotated among 2 or 3 residents depending on who's on service at any given time, but no trauma call. You handle in house patients. At Harbor-UCLA it is q3 face call. Any facial trauma and infection.
# of years of Med School: 2
# of part-time attendings: Not sure. We see about 5 on a weekly basis. There are probably another 5 who come in sporadically.
# of full-time attendings: 4 (I think, but 2 who operate with us daily. The other two are primarily doing research and teaching pre-docs)
# of residents: 2 per year + 1 intern
# of hours: As an intern it's variable each week. When not on call I'd say 60. When on call 80-90+.
Dental Schools of Residents: UCLA, UNLV, USC, Harvard, Tijuana Tech (that's Buffalo Bill's alma mater)
What residents go onto do after residency: Private practive, a small few do academics. Some have done facial cosmetic fellowships. Buffalo Bill will proceed to do an ENT residency, followed by PRS. Hehehehe.
Expenses/Salary: LA is expensive, but I got a 2 bedroom for $1450, which is great. 1st year salary is about $43K. No pay during med school but you can work. I'm living comfortably.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang, that's a helluva list. This has been my experience at Parkland (primary surgeon only):

Mandibles: huh?
ORIF of Mandibles: 70-80. Most are treated open.
ZMCs: maybe 20-30. I'm guessing.
Orthognathics: You mean Leforts? Probably 30-35. About one-third of those are 3 or 4-piece.
Distraction: Maybe 3-4. More of other craniofacial stuff like cranial vault reshaping. I've done about 3 primary cleft palates and some pharyngeal flaps, but not enough to fell comfortable on my own.
BSSO: probably around 30-35 total
IVRO: I've only done a couple. Will probably finish with 5-10.
Pathology: I'm not sure how to quantify this. It's probably the same as everywhere else.
Nerve Repairs: maybe 1-2 per year, I'm not sure really. This may increase with the new chairman who does this stuff.
Thirds: more than enough.
Implants: 40-50
Sinus Lifts: I've seen one, doing one later this month. That's about it.
Rhinos: I don't think anyone gets out with at least 30. You can do twice that if you're interested. One chief finished with almost 90 a couple of years ago.
Blephs: 5-10
Genios: Not too many here, I'm guessing 5-10.
Rhytidectomies: I've scrubbed on one, that may or may not increase with the addition of a new cosmetics guy this year.
Infections/Abcesses: too many. I still remember getting 2 consults within 10 minutes for 2 lateral pharyngeal space infections.
Call Schedule: Depends on how many other residents are on service with you. Parkland is anywhere from q2 to q7, while our Fort Worth rotation found me coming to work on Sunday morning and leaving Thursday night for a month straight. We need more resident manpower there, and will hopefully be taking an extra resident this year or next, so it shouldn't be so bad for you wusses.
# of years of Med School: 24 months spread over 3 years. The other time is on oral surgery, ENT, and anesthesia
# of part-time attendings: 2
# of full-time attendings: 8
# of residents: 4 per year for 6 years. Will soon be 5 per year
# of hours: huh?
Dental Schools of Residents: all over. Colombia is over-represented for some reason. It's gotta be tough to wait until residency to see your first tooth.
What residents go onto do after residency: search for the piggy bank behind the 2nd molars.
Expenses/Salary: jeez i don't know check the website. Med school tuition is pretty cheap...not quite $9000 per year, but for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
You migt find the stats over here interesting for comparison.

Mandibles: About 80-100 pr year
ORIF of Mandibles: most, except condyle-fx
ZMCs: 40-60, also a fair amount of maxillas, orbits, NOEs, panfacial etc. We had 12 facial fractures last week, which is a bit unusual.
Orthognathics: 150-200 cases pr year, many bimaxillary, many 2 or 3 piece
Distraction: ca 20, mostly ramus, now and then alveolar.
BSSO: isolated BSSO about 30-50, a bit more isolated Leforts
IVRO: 0-? very rare
Pathology: 20-25 OKCs, ameloblastomas and other benign tumors/cysts
Nerve Repairs: 0
Thirds: no idea, lots and lots and lots
Implants: I've really no idea. Maybe around 150 pr. year. Residents finish with somewhere between 40-60 implants placed during recidency, but many moonlight and do a lot of implants that way.
Sinus Lifts: 1-10, varies a lot
Rhinos: 0
Blephs: 0
Genios: 5-10
Rhytidectomies: 0
Infections/Abcesses: 30-50?
Call Schedule: once a week on call (4pm-8am), ca once a month on weekend call (4pm friday-8am monday). We have call from home.
# of years of Med School: 0
# of part-time attendings: 1
# of full-time attendings: 4
# of residents: 5
# of hours: 45-90+
Dental Schools of Residents: Local universities
What residents go onto do after residency: most go into academics/hospital service and a few into private practice
Expenses/Salary: fair/lousy unless you moonlight

Dang Euro, is all that for ONE resident?

Sorry, I thought we were talking at the program as a whole pr. year.

My personal list so far, ie. cases where I've been the primary surgeon (I'm in my last year of residency):
Fractures:
About 60 ORIFs of mandibles, incl. one endoscopy-assisted condyle fracture.
Zygoma, maxilla, orbits NOEs etc: ca 50, incl. 4 bicoronal inc.
Orthognathics: 22, a mix of BSSO and LeForts. A couple of 2 and 3 piece. I'm in the beginning of my main orthognathics training, so I'm hoping to finish with about 50
Pathology: 40-50 cysts/benign tumors, not incl. apical cysts.
Thirds: no idea, houndreds
Implants: About 60 during recidency.
Sinus Lifts: 4
Infections/Abcesses: ? many

I might add:
Anterior iliac crest harvesting: 4
Manibular ramus harvesting: 5
Arthroscopies: 15
Arthrocentesis: 30